Cross patch looper use

Fracmates! Before apply topic to wish dpt could you please educate me a bit - is it possible to switch patches while using looper or only scenes? I think it may be handy to have looper patch independent to create entire guitar mix and try different sounds while being not limited by a patch, especially considering CPU limitations.

No, it doesn't work across presets. The FX8 has a global looper that works across presets (but the cost is that you can't decide where to place it per-preset).
Unless I'm misunderstanding the conversation this is false. The looper works between presets assuming you have you have the looper present in each of the presets and with the same settings. You'd most likely also want the looper to be at the end of the chain in all of the presets since the looper is going to record and repeat the audio at the exact point in the chain it is placed (unless you have some creative use to do otherwise).

There are two major downsides to this. First, the audio dropout when switching presets causes the looper output to also drop out. This is an even worse situation with the looper because the timing of the loop is dropped as well i.e. the loop basically pauses during the gap and then resumes. This drop also screws up MIDI clock sync. That means it isn't really practical to use the looper along with preset switching in a live situation like you might be used to with other loopers.

The other downside is that the looper is in the chain prior to the output mixer so switching presets that have different output mixer settings causes the volume to fluctuate. I simply don't use the output mixer at all given that this also affects delay and reverb spillover.

It's still a useful feature for things like songwriting, providing a backing guitar for tweaking sounds, etc..

Yes, even with the same effects in the same place, and the looper's parameters in the same place, you will get an audio drop out when you change presets when the looper is in play mode. I've never heard this gap when changing scenes.

That's right and now I remember (I rarely use the Looper), it was an audible audio dropout in the playback when switching presets that made it unusable for what I was attempting.

I have the same looper block in the same position in all of my presets and when I switch presets the loop keeps going no problem. A couple of caveats. 1. You need to use the same looper in all present (stereo undo in my case). 2. The output volume needs to be the same on all presets otherwise the existing loop's volume will adjust when you enter the new preset. 3. Yes, there can be a slight audio dropout when changing presets, lucky for me my audience is usually a bit tipsy and doesn't care.

i was trying this last night. If you have the looper in every presets you want to use it there is no problem and i could not hear a gap between playback, just be careful not to have it before a reverb thats sets differently than the original preset you recorded the loop or you will have a bump in volume...this could be also me not setting levels corretly tho, but just wanted to mention it.

Im more prone to put the looper in the last slot of any fx chain, that way it records all reverbs, delays, chorus etc and i can solo over the loop with different settings.

I have totally opposite question.
Is there an easy way for looper to not spillover when changing presets?
I have AX8 unit configured to 1 preset - 1 song and use looper in some of them.
The problem is that I have immediate play enabled, and whenever I change preset for other song looper from the last one starts to play.
For now the solution for me is to record short empty loop between songs, but it is another thing to remember and it takes some time.
So is there a way to automatically forgot looper recording when changing presets?

The problem is that I have immediate play enabled, and whenever I change preset for other song looper from the last one starts to play.
this should not happen. Immediate Play does not make the looper play when changing presets. it only means that pressing the REC button while recording will immediately play, rather than stop recording.

it sounds like you have the PLAY button saved as "on" when you change presets, most likely on your MIDI controller or whatever you're using for remote control. you should explore that to solve the issue.

Thanks Chris for your reply!
I checked some more, and it looks that state of play function is preserved when changing presets.
When it is on at moment of changing preset it is also on for new one, and it works the same for looper play off.
Is there a way to set looper play to off on preset change?

Thanks Chris for your reply!
I checked some more, and it looks that state of play function is preserved when changing presets.
When it is on at moment of changing preset it is also on for new one, and it works the same for looper play off.
Is there a way to set looper play to off on preset change?
again, the Play function does not get saved with presets.

what midi controller are you using? how do you engage the Play function? whatever you use is what's making Play stay on.

I'm not using any additional controller - only AX8 footswitches.
Play function is always automatically engaged by 'Immediate Play' function with quantized number of record beats, and I leave it to run forever, bypassing it with mix level (0% or 100% on different scenes) not the 'play' function (it helps loops to stay with tempo)
+ there is no controller attached to the play function in looper

again, Immediate Play only sets how the Record button acts.

because you're not actually turning off PLAY, but instead just muting the block, that's why it's still playing in the next preset - you didn't mention that important detail before.

you need to adjust how you implement the Mix level when changing presets if you don't want to turn off the Play button.

or you could just hit Play to stop the looper before changing presets.

here one of my presets with looper inside, all of them has the same configutarion

Attachments

• NIE_MOWIE_NIE.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 1
here one of my presets with looper inside, all of them has the same configutarion
i edited my comment above, sorry. i didn't realize you leave the PLAY button on.

you need to adjust how you implement the Mix level when changing presets if you don't want to turn off the Play button.

Back
Top Bottom