Crazy glue for finger repair?

addedc

Experienced
I am auditioning to play lead in a new band tomorrow. Unfortunately, I sliced the tip of my fingering hand ring finger while cutting some food yesterday. It is pretty much exactly the part of the pad that lines up with the string on a whole tone bend. Is there any downside to putting some crazy glue on it to get me through the rehearsal?

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Well that was a mega fail, i cant think of one single fix for that problem apart from postpone the audition

I am auditioning to play lead in a new band tomorrow. Unfortunately, I sliced the tip of my fingering hand ring finger while cutting some food yesterday. It is pretty much exactly the part of the pad that lines up with the string on a whole tone bend. Is there any downside to putting some crazy glue on it to get me through the rehearsal?

Thanks

It's not uncommon to use a bit of Superglue on the tip. I have had to do it once before when I cut my finger during a month long tour. A drummer I have worked with for 20 years normally ends up with some on his hands after the first 3 or 4 nights into a tour.

G'day,
It works better for cuts that you can glue back together, but will certainly protect the slice for some time...how much, I couldn't say! Good luck with the audition.

Pauly

Thanks

The biggest problem is that regular CA glue (super glue, crazy glue, etc.) dries rock hard and tends to crack and peel off. Also, don't put the glue in a cut, put it over a cut. You need to be able to close the wound completely before putting the glue on top. If you put the glue inside the cut, your skin cannot heal back together because the glue will act as a barrier, making it heal more slowly. Deep cuts may also need to drain and superglue will seal the skin off completely. It will most likely burn like holy hell too. The liquid stitches glue they use in doctor's offices (derma-bond) is also CA based, but stays flexible, acting like a second skin. I have tried a number of over the counter products (liquid bandage, new skin, etc.) and none of them work very well. You are better off ordering actual derma-bond online. Medical supply stores usually have it. Try Amazon too.

If you have a hobby shop nearby, they often have flexible CA glue for building model airplanes and such (Insta-flex is one) that works much better than regular super glue.

Last edited:
I grew up in a machine shop and we used Crazy Glue for cuts all the time, I still do. Wipe the heavier grease and blood off onto your shirt and apply glue, let dry.

One issue is that it will eat away the callus. I had that happen years ago (it's never really been quite right since, actually). Of course, the trade off was being able to get through the gig.

A good product would be something that can temporarily cover the fingertip without adding any bulk (e.g. a band aid), while still closing the cut and allowing it to heal, without any negative side effects and still make playing feel as natural as possible.

Those thick rubber finger cots at office supply stores make good fingertip protectors too. Glue one of those bad boys on and you'll be good to go. Rock out Tony Iommi style.

This forum is awesome. I never heard of the new skin/liquid skin before but will be trying it today.

Go to your local machine shop and have some metal finger tips made, titanium is good, tune guitar down to C.

Clean the area first. They sell liquid skin and it's pretty durable. Use a couple extra layers
+1 on the liquid skin (or New Skin). You can get it at any pharmacy, or Target, etc, and it is made to put on your skin. Works pretty good, but nothing's going to make a B string sliding inside that cut feel good. Been there... feel for you my friend.

On the plus side, you might impress them in the JJ Watt playing through the blood style.

Just in case anyone wants an after action report for their future reference. I put on about 3 coats of the New Skin and that got me through about the first 10 songs. Then we tried some Southern rock and those major scale bends with the bending ring finger and stationary pinkie had me squirting blood all over my fretboard. It's a nice guitar so I had to stop and clean it. Sounds like I am in any way.

I think the rubber finger protector would have worked better, but I don't know that I would have had any feel with that on. As a side Fractal plug, the singer, bass and drummer complimented me on my -- I mean, my and Fractal's -- tone. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom