"Crappy mode"

Have you checked if the wah has come on when when the sound 'gets crappy', as Cliff suggested? I have an AXE II and and an AX8, and one of the very few things that I don't like about both units is that the wah seems to sometimes switch itself on. I never have understood why, but this could explain your issue. Because of this I do not use the wah block anymore and if I need a Wah I use my EVH wah in front of the AX8.

Reactions: Mae
Harsh as in too much high end? Too much distortion? Or...?

Hollow as in too much mids, or something else?

It would help if you'd post a before-and-after clip.
Too little base, I hear noise (distortion). The quality of the sound drastically deteriorates.

Have you checked if the wah has come on when when the sound 'gets crappy', as Cliff suggested? I have an AXE II and and an AX8, and one of the very few things that I don't like about both units is that the wah seems to sometimes switch itself on. I never have understood why, but this could explain your issue. Because of this I do not use the wah block anymore and if I need a Wah I use my EVH wah in front of the AX8.
Thx. I will check.

You started by mentioning you were loading presets... have you just built your own and tried that? Some presets have sneaky things in them that may not be readily apparent. Just open a new preset, add amp, add cab, play for a bit, and see if it still happens.

When you first turn on and everything sounds good, record some riffs. When the sound gets "crappy", record the same riffs. Then post both recordings so that we can hear what you are hearing.

I would start with a clean preset as mentioned, Amp/Cab, nothing else, with headphones. Are you connected USB, for the editor? That may cause issues too. You will figure it out, rest assured.

As an experiment, build a patch with no Wah bock, and see if the problem persists.

I'm guessing you have a controller that's tripping the wah via Autoengage.

Are you sure the Wah isn't coming on?
Thank you. You might have solved the crappy mystery together with Blackmoreguitar. When checking AX8 display I didn't see any change in the wah (the enclosed screenshot shows the status after the tone change). However, when I disabled the wah (even if it seemed disabled on screen) voila I got my sweet sound back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 00.08.19.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 00.08.19.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 45
I would start with a clean preset as mentioned, Amp/Cab, nothing else, with headphones. Are you connected USB, for the editor? That may cause issues too. You will figure it out, rest assured.
Thank you. I'm connected USB for the editor. See above. :)

Another insurmountable mountain mounted!

Glad you found the culprit. I did something similar a while back, during a show. The exp pedal had a knob that had been turned accidentally, and I couldn't get the wah to disengage. Not a pretty sound, I'm with you.

posted soundfile sounds correct to me. To me a bit bass heavy. Try another IR or decrease bass or increase low-cut or something... but the unit works as intended to me.

I bet it's the wah coming on. I have the same thing. The wah does not appear to be engaged either but it is. Double clicking the wah block in axe edit will put its status as on but the sound doesn't change then double clicking again will turn it off. Try removing the wah block or removing auto engage. For what it's worth I don't have any controllers hooked up it just turns itself on randomly but removing the wah takes care of it.

If your pressing patch again and sound returns to normal from being "crap" I'd contact support as the temp fix is when you activate a patch or screen change it's fine for a few minutes, seeing that other options suggested did not work it's sounds to me like a possible hardware problem. I'll be curious to see the final thread/fix...

+1 on the wah wah. Try your patch after turning off the the auto-engage. It sounds like the wag function may be kicking in randomly. The simplest test would be to unplug your expression pedal and see if the problem persists. Of course, I'm assuming you are using an exp pedal...

+1 on the wah wah. Try your patch after turning off the the auto-engage. It sounds like the wag function may be kicking in randomly. The simplest test would be to unplug your expression pedal and see if the problem persists. Of course, I'm assuming you are using an exp pedal...
I'm not using a wah wah pedal. Thx.

I'm not using a wah wah pedal. Thx.
It doesn't matter if you are not using a pedal, if there is a wah block in the preset, it can for reasons still tricky to troubleshoot for many of us, be triggered unintentionally. If you haven't yet, replace the wah block with a shunt and see what happens.
---I see this was addressed above..did you try removing wah blocks?.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if you are not using a pedal, if there is a wah block in the preset, it can for reasons still tricky to troubleshoot for many of us, be triggered unintentionally. If you haven't yet, replace the wah block with a shunt and see what happens.
---I see this was addressed above..did you try removing wah blocks?.
Thx. See above. The wah seems to be the problem. I replaced the wah with a shunt yesterday and the sound quality didn't change. Now I want to know if this randomly autumated triggering of the wah block can be fixed without bypassing the wah. Is it a software bug?

Back
Top Bottom