Crackling noise when I play... [CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheky

Experienced
Like what is it?

Here's the noise

Only happens when I'm playing.

- I hear it through the headphones too (so it's not my soundcard)

- Happens no matter which guitar I use or patch.

- I close Axe edit, still happens.

- My patches aren't stressing the cpu

- I reboot Axe and it's GONE, but I know it will be back tomorrow or the next day.

Am I overheating? I have it racked beneath two preamps. I've always found the fan suspiciously loud - I had it side by side with my ultra and would say it's 3x-4x louder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank God I'm not crazy. I've heard it on my Axe II as well. I hear it through my headphones and when I'm going out of the balanced outs of output 1 into my 003 and into Pro Tools. Can't figure it out either.

Haven't tried rebooting. It happens so intermittently that it's very difficult to determine what's causing it. My patches aren't pushing the CPU limits either. Not sure where to start troubleshooting.

Sheky,
I had to listen to that clipped while it was cranked to hear anything.. if you are talking about the "crackle" at 0.07 mark, then to me that sounds like cable noise - like you get with a barely loose connection. Have not heard this on mine.
How close are you to a PC monitor ?

Thanks for your response.

The crackling noise isn't overbearing, so you do have to listen a bit closely - but it's not just at .07, it's pretty much intermittent during the entire clip while I'm playing.

Not sure it can be the cable b/c it disappears when I reboot the axe. My cable wouldn't know when I'm rebooting. Also if it was the cable, it should crackle even when I'm not playing. Anyways, I think I tried swapping the cable last week to no avail. I'll check again the next time it happens.

I am 2 feet away from my pc monitors -and I've got 4 of them.

Thx again.

I can only hear the noise on the left side... strange...
Good ears there. I think on that last chord, you can hear it on the right too, but it does seem to be 95 percent on one side. I'll have to check that out.

Listening again, (in bed with ipad) might be 100percent on one side, have to check it out tomorrow , good ears!

The loudest one in your clip to me is right at 1 second. There are others too. I haven't recorded anything with mine as of yet, but mine has these same pops in it as well. For my setup, I'm using the xlr outs. It's strange...it does almost sound like a digital clocking issue of some kind. But if I'm not using spdif or usb, that takes that theory out of play. Sure would like to know what it is though.

Could be a defective xlr jack then? Wanna try recording with USB or spdif and see if the problem goes away? Could also be a bad xlr cable.....

Could be a defective xlr jack then? Wanna try recording with USB or spdif and see if the problem goes away? Could also be a bad xlr cable.....
Can't be, I hear the same problems in the headphones.

Are you sure you are not clipping mildly on the output?
The problem happens every few days so I'll have to check all these suggestions out.

Still, when it happens, it's with every patch, every guitar and disappears when I reboot.

For me, it's not a "clipping the output" kind of noise. It exactly like a "snat". Just a little less pronounced. I'm talking about the noise you get in a DAW when you cut a region in the middle of audio and then don't do a fade on the head and/or tail. It's a little digital pop.

Hi Sheky, I'm having the same issue with my axe fx II, that crackling noise. I've contacted support they told me to update the firmware to see if that will fix this bug, the way i have connected my axe is as effects only with my mesa and as you said. Now I'm trying to update but I keep getting transfer error on my axe...please let me know (anybody else will be welcome as well) if a solution is found.

Same problem after an hour of use. The only way to fix it for me is to switch of the unit, unplugged the jack, switch on the unit then plug the jack again.

I have 3.02 so if you're problem is the same as mine, updating the firmware won't help.

Shaker - all I have to do is turn off and then on again to remedy the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom