Crackling noise starts after 20-30 minutes of running a Standard

axemanrio

New Axe-Fx user here, had it for less than a couple weeks and up against an issue with the unit. Been in touch with g66 and they're picking it up next week but I wanted to find out if anyone else has run into this - search didn't help.

I first ran the Axe-Fx through a M-Audio Firewire Solo via unbalanced outputs and into headphone monitors. After 20-30 minutes I started hearing constant crackling only when I play. This is not clipping, although the input levels clip with the crackling. Didn't think much of it because I was ordering a new interface.

So my new Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 arrived yesterday and I'm experiencing the same problem. This time I used the balanced outputs so it's a completely new set of cables - that confirms it's not the interface, cables or guitars. Turned down the output level down to 9 o' clock but the output volume of the crackling does not change and I can see the input clipping.

What's weird is that it works perfectly for 20-30 minutes before the crackling kicks in.

Anyway, hoping this gets sorted out by g66 soon.

New Axe-Fx user here, had it for less than a couple weeks and up against an issue with the unit. Been in touch with g66 and they're picking it up next week but I wanted to find out if anyone else has run into this - search didn't help.

I first ran the Axe-Fx through a M-Audio Firewire Solo via unbalanced outputs and into headphone monitors. After 20-30 minutes I started hearing constant crackling only when I play. This is not clipping, although the input levels clip with the crackling. Didn't think much of it because I was ordering a new interface.

So my new Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 arrived yesterday and I'm experiencing the same problem. This time I used the balanced outputs so it's a completely new set of cables - that confirms it's not the interface, cables or guitars. Turned down the output level down to 9 o' clock but the output volume of the crackling does not change and I can see the input clipping.

What's weird is that it works perfectly for 20-30 minutes before the crackling kicks in.

Anyway, hoping this gets sorted out by g66 soon.

Hey mate - sorry to hear you're having some grief with your unit.

All I can say is that G66 have some amazing customer service - they really go out of their way to make sure you are ok. I'm sure they'll sort it out for you.

Cheers,
Sukh

Sounds more like a computer problem.....

Hook up the AXE-FX directly to an Amp.... Guitar, or even a home stereo.
Or just stick the headphones directly into the output jack in the back.

This is to make sure the clipping is coming from the AXE-FX and not from the computer/sound card combination somewhere.

:idea

Also make sure it's not a preset with AXE-FX Processor usage of above 91%
(Try it with a simple preset)

;)

... although the input levels clip with the crackling.

Is it the Axe-Fx Input Level LEDs that clip with the crackling? If so, when it starts you should try disconnecting your guitar input and see if it still does it (i.e., internal to the unit in the input or external).

Please ignore if I misunderstood your description.

All I can say is that G66 have some amazing customer service - they really go out of their way to make sure you are ok. I'm sure they'll sort it out for you.
Hey Sukh, I've heard about their service and yes, they're great to deal with!

Hook up the AXE-FX directly to an Amp.... Guitar, or even a home stereo.
Or just stick the headphones directly into the output jack in the back.

This is to make sure the clipping is coming from the AXE-FX and not from the computer/sound card combination somewhere.

Also make sure it's not a preset with AXE-FX Processor usage of above 91%
(Try it with a simple preset)
Well, it was the first 10 presets and I don't remember seeing the usage increase over 70%. Will try that suggestion of running direct to amp and headphones. But turning off the unit for 15 minutes resolves the issue for a short while and then it starts again. I thought it was the Studio Lead preset triggering it but it's not.

Is it the Axe-Fx Input Level LEDs that clip with the crackling? If so, when it starts you should try disconnecting your guitar input and see if it still does it (i.e., internal to the unit in the input or external).
I should have described the input clipping better. The input level is set to 12 o' clock and doesn't clip except when the crackling starts, and I hear crackling only when I play - even if it's just a single note. I stop playing and the crackling stops. The red input LED blinks in response to the crackling, not my playing, and tried turning it down to 9 o' clock but the crackling doesn't go away.

By the way, followed Yek's guide (the dude rocks!) to the tee so it's set up perfectly for the way I'm running it into my firewire interface.

Thanks for the responses and suggestions though, unit is getting picked up Monday so will report back once I've had a play again today.

The input level is set to 12 o' clock and doesn't clip except when the crackling starts, and I hear crackling only when I play - even if it's just a single note. I stop playing and the crackling stops. The red input LED blinks in response to the crackling, not my playing, and tried turning it down to 9 o' clock but the crackling doesn't go away.
It sounds like you've got a bad connection — something loose between your strings and the Axe-FX. The fact that the input clip LED blinks when the crackling starts indicates that it's an input problem. Anything from the guitar to the Axe's input jack is suspect.

Tap on various parts of your guitar. Wiggle both plugs of your guitar cord while it's plugged in. Jiggle the cord itself. See if you can localize the problem. You may have to wait until the crackling starts to get the most out of these tests, but it doesn't hurt to try them out before the problem crops up.

Agreed, it may sound like an input problem but I've checked all connections before and after crackling - different guitars, different cables (all Bullet and if you've used them you'll know they can't be yanked out easily and sit snug in sockets). From my experience and testing so far, it seems DSP/software/component related, possibly triggered by heat and that's why it takes 20-30 minutes before the crackling starts.

I'm wondering if it might be the jack-to-PC connection inside the Axe-FX.

Last edited:
Could be, I'm going to run more tests tonight based on the suggestions in this thread - either way I'm sure g66 will sort it out next week. My only bugbear is that I was looking forward to recording with the Axe-Fx this weekend.

I spent a good bit of time troubleshooting this issue over the last weekend and do have more information I'd like to share:

- The crackling seems to start when I go to a hot factory preset with a high output level, but at this stage but no clipping happens at the input
- After this occurs, the crackling stays even if I switch to a clean patch and turn the volume half way down on my guitar
- Now the input level indicators show some clipping when I play, even softly, but nothing's changed at the input signal
- I turn off the unit for a few - swap out all cables - swap guitars - plug in - turn on the Axe and crackling is still there
- I then turned the Axe off, plugged in my headphones and later monitors directly into output 1 and crackling is still there

Good news is that the Axe reached g66 yesterday so I'm positive it will be taken care off but I feel bad that I can't do any recording over this long holiday weekend.

Only lesson for me to learn is get another Axe-Fx to reduce downtime! ;)

I spent a good bit of time troubleshooting this issue over the last weekend and do have more information I'd like to share:

- The crackling seems to start when I go to a hot factory preset with a high output level, but at this stage but no clipping happens at the input
- After this occurs, the crackling stays even if I switch to a clean patch and turn the volume half way down on my guitar
- Now the input level indicators show some clipping when I play, even softly, but nothing's changed at the input signal
- I turn off the unit for a few - swap out all cables - swap guitars - plug in - turn on the Axe and crackling is still there
- I then turned the Axe off, plugged in my headphones and later monitors directly into output 1 and crackling is still there

Good news is that the Axe reached g66 yesterday so I'm positive it will be taken care off but I feel bad that I can't do any recording over this long holiday weekend.

Only lesson for me to learn is get another Axe-Fx to reduce downtime! ;)

Hopefully it's just one of those things man - they seem to be solidly built and the reported problems in this forum are minor, so I'm sure all will be cool when you get yours back.

Anyway, it's going to be a scorching weekend here in the south - you should be out with the bbq man, not inside recording music!

:)

Back
Top Bottom