Covid-19 Pandemic Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it's in bad taste, but it feels to me like it's either missing some additional referential humor it ought to have...or maybe I just don't get the reference.

To wit: Why "COBIT-19" specifically? Does BIT refer to something or mean something?

I think if you say something that's arguably in bad taste, there has to be some justification that helps it get past people's "bad taste antennae." Usually, in English-speaking countries, that's humor. If it's funny enough, you can get away with saying almost anything. (It's why Dave Chapelle's career exists.)

So if BIT had been something funny, I think the name would be fine. But since I can't figure out what it is referencing, it falls flat. (To me, at least.)
it's the CO... that he was getting at... with the dead thread and new thread... and why.
dont pay no attention to BIT
COBIT 5
All those intelligent lengthy comments and you dont get it..
the CO

Yep, just as I thought as per post #2. This thread is only going one way and will probably be locked In the very near future. Nice try Donnie B.
He shouldn't taunt the moderators... what does subtlety have to do with it.
That other guy taunted too... and it's a locked thread now.
Never poke a bear with a stick

1) Metal (Death metal) and Death themes are common and synonymous, like you have to see some SICK names, and I thought this was clever but perhaps a little off color, but I wanted to know if people would react negatively who might not be into it, and I got my answer, so name is scrapped

2) I don't see any taunting with any of the exchanges Ive had, in fact, Baron's COBALT-19 technically "is more" metal, I was teasing him about the other reply, but I did not at all mean anyone offended me so ….whatever that's worth

Yep, just as I thought as per post #2. This thread is only going one way and will probably be locked In the very near future.

It's intended to be a place to talk about the seriousness of the virus. Jokes won't go over well.
Folks who want to have fun should go elsewhere. This ain't fun.

Since I asked to start the thread I'm going to play hall monitor and not let anyone purposely crash it.

Well thanks for the breakdown, and maybe my name isn’t that good if the death part wasn’t apparent , COBIT (obituary)
Ahhh. Feeling a bit dim for not getting that.

But, yeah, that feels in bad taste to me.

It'd be different if, I dunno, if the word "obituary" didn't exist and "OBIT" were the name of a clown, or a brand of snack-cake, or a kid's toy like a slinky, or something like that. The more silly and random, the better.

But in this case, instead of OBIT referring to something funny and light-hearted, it kinda just doubles down on implying, "your grandma and your best friend died of this stuff and I'm rubbing your face in it."

Not the best look.

Maybe you could get away with a band that had 2 female lead singers dressed as stereotypical college sorority girls, and call it COED-19?

Sorry, @Donnie B.! Back on topic....

Lol I appreciate the input man, thank you

I guess it is too soon as some people are terrified; ive been so steeped in the fear of this since January that im used to it (yes, I was warning my family since January because I am a Chinese internal martial artist with long standing ties with Chinatown, and subsequently, being in the area im in (White plains/hartsdale/scarsdale to Flushing and ofc Chinatown) there are so many Chinese people, like from China, and they are in massive groups, so when I first caught wind of this at the end of January, I KNEW this was happening, so I was ready

What I wasn't ready for was the outdoor morgues and makeshift hospitals with the national guard - and no one in the street, its very doomsday feeling and looking here, so oh well, its not that great of a name anyway

Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure it was Joseph Stalin that said:

1 death is a tragedy
1 million is a statistic

I'm making a point to try and remember that.
Jeez, last night I read a husband and wife of 52 years died 6 minutes apart from C19.
Without the blur of everything else, that in itself would be a news story.

1 death is a tragedy
1 million is a statistic

Jeez, last night I read a husband and wife of 52 years died 6 minutes apart from C19.
interesting indeed, and perhaps that's a great spin donnie - this can be a thread for NON-covid news, like honestly, while sad, it is also a beautiful thing that they went together , like that's amazing and beautiful in a way

What I wasn't ready for was the outdoor morgues and makeshift hospitals.

Let's not talk about hockey rinks.
All of these doctors and nurses have to be use to death. They must be to do the job.
And they know occasionally it's going to be real bad - plane crash, earthquake, even 9/11 bad.

But the sheer volume of death day after day after week. These people are use to saving most people who
come in with a heartbeat. I don't know how they are doing it.

1 death is a tragedy
1 million is a statistic
Correct. https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/138332.Joseph_Stalin ...ginormous evil prick, but you don't become dictator if you're clueless about human nature and the behavior of crowds.

Well, if we do the deceased the commonplace (if often unfounded) honor of presuming they died in friendship with both their maker and one another, then there could be a poignant happiness to that story. Six minutes is a much shorter separation than most widows or widowers endure.

I can imagine one of the two shuffling up to the pearly gates and looking at his or her watch. A few minutes later the other arrives, and the first comments, "Fifty-two years, and you're still always making us late to every appointment...!"

Last edited:
You know what else is quite amazing to see? as a NYer to be more specific?

is that people are coming here to help us. the other day, texts went out to ask for help from people, and they responded!

I cant believe people would cross our borderlines, Like Im from here, born and raised, and the first thing I wanted to do in January was get everyone to a camping ground in the middle of Arizona - to which my WHOLE family said "calm down, relax, its going to be alright, its just sensationalism - yellow journalism" and they are like telling me its new propaganda and im telling them [two months later], it was propaganda when in January they said no need to panic, and I said we could've been in the middle of the grand canyon!!!!! - anyway, whadyagonna do , ya know? whadygonna do?
plus I mean, come on, 2 seniors and a baby, if the virus didn't eventually kill me, my wife would've HAHHAAH! oh man, this is some good stuff

ive been thinkin about doin stand up now actually

I am Hoping this virus thing will start getting better sooner then later. This thing is like a cancer it does not discriminate.
We are in a trailer in our driveway dealing with all this craziness. Still living the dream or more like the nightmare from Hurricane Michael 2018.
I feel so bad for all of the people with this virus and all the Emergency service personnel that are fighting for everyone of us.
When you see them Thank them for all they do for all of us every day. All we have to do is stay home. They run in to battle this virus everyday. And put there life’s on the the line for all of us.
So lets stay safe and not forget the folks that are fighting this thing everyday and risking getting this sickness.

Stay Healthy & Safe Everyone

I like how politics is third, but CAPITALIZED!

actually, this is a great place for me to ask a question I wanted to ask but didn’t want to create a thread for...:

Is it in bad taste to name my new band project “COBIT-19”? (You saw the name here first folks so I claim creation and initial use credit in case of copywriting, April 7, 2020)

While it's in pretty bad taste (maybe that's what you want?) that's not nearly as much of an issue as how vapid and cliche of a name it is. It's about as unimaginative as naming an album or EP "Quarantine" or "Pandemic" right now. Surely you could put a little more effort into a band name? Not trying to be a dick but I know I can't be the only one who thinks that.

I have no clue why but the worst possible joke just popped into my head.

Q: Why didn't the band Katrina and the Waves make it bigger?

A: They were 30 years ahead of their time.

Come to think of it, this is an old joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom