Cover Band Tones

The only band worth cloning their tones (and with a niche of fans expecting that from a cover) is Pink Floyd

The only band worth cloning their tones (and with a niche of fans expecting that from a cover) is Pink Floyd

Not sure I agree with that. A Dream Theater tribute band wouldn't be much if the guitar didn't sound like Petrucci. Or Queen without Brian May's tone.

I personally think there are a lot of bad guitar tones from the past that are now iconic. I don't like to emulate those unless absolutely necessary. Also, like others have said, the mastered sound has bass, overdubbed/second guitar/keys completely dialed to compliment the tone. Go listen to isolated tracks from some of these tunes and you will see what I mean, many of those guys were limited on tones or aren't really known for their tone as much as their phrasing.

Not sure I agree with that. A Dream Theater tribute band wouldn't be much if the guitar didn't sound like Petrucci. Or Queen without Brian May's tone.
There is a difference between a bar cover band and a tribute band. If you are involved in an 80s Hair Band tribute, then absolutely go for that tone.
If you're playing 35 different songs from all eras and genres in one night, just cook up your favorite tones.

I wouldn't even want that kind of audience. You'd be playing to guitar players and they are the worst audience EVER. Unless you're Satch, Vai or Yngwie they'll just stand there, not having a good time, checking you out and thinking I should be there, I can do better.
Interesting point of view. I've found that other guitarists are the most complimentary and appreciative audience members, at least in this city. Their compliments are the most specific, and some of the most gratifying. I've never had one put me down (to my knowledge), nor have I put down any others. We're all just doing what we love and we wish each other the best. You'd think that the pandemic would foster a more competitive atmosphere, but it's done just the opposite. Performers are coming together to help each other. It's great. And returns on my efforts are far from diminishing, tone-wise. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom