Cover band guys!

Here is our set, screenshots from itunes. i have them set up in the order we play them. we'll obviously change things up if people are making requests but we stick to it as much as we can.

My approach mixes "preset for multiple songs" and "preset for each song"
Every song still gets a preset, but some presets share a common rig.
I gig with backing tracks and cue songs at my feet so I use numbers - each song preset has the same number as its backing track song. Easier to associate and memorize.

This lets me use the huge preset memory of the axe-fx and my gordius little giant footswitch. The gordius has a 10-key function so I have instant random access to any preset and song in my show. For presets/songs that "share" a rig, the rig is still tweaked to fit that song like a glove and therefore gets its own preset.

For presets sharing a common rig, the preset name becomes a mashup of song titles.
For example:
"Your mamma don't rollover" (mamma don't dance, roll over beethoven)
"U really got Louie"
"Brick Word Jam" (Brick House, Word Up, We're Jammin)
"Cruel Little Pretty" (Don't be cruel, Little Sister, Pretty Woman)

Strange as it is, it makes dialing new firmware easier because the preset name tells me how many songs/presets use that rig. I just reset amps for those presets/songs and I'm done, but the song-specific tweaks are preserved.

Why do you need a bank file? Not the preset file?

Bank file has the preset layout. System file has the settings for any global blocks used in the preset layout. The two, together, represent a complete view of your data. You could also give them a preset file and the system backup file. Or unlink the globals in the preset before exporting it.

Last edited:
I guess I'm the odd man out here, I create a preset for every song, complete with as an authentic recreation of the amp tone, gain structure, cab selection, and effects set up as I can manage.

Yes it's a lot of work, especially when Firmware updates change things frequently, so obviously it's a continuous work in progress. But it sure is worth while to me to be able to authentically recreate everything.

One of the reasons I bought the Axe Fx II is because you can do this.

I find it a little obnoxious to read posts saying I'm wasting my time and that I'm making the sound mans job harder cause my tone isn't consistent, and blah blah blah. We use our own PA, and hire a guy to run the sound and lights to enhance our performance. I spend a lot of time ensuring everything is levelled, and runs smoothly the entire night.

For the 1st couple months with the Axe FX I just used a couple presets, and while yes it can get you through, I just thought it such a waste to not use the Axe FX to its full potential, and figured if I am just gonna do it that way I might as well go back to using my Multichannel Tube Amp.

For the last 3 months, 7 gigs and 177 presets I have had nothing but compliments not only from my band mates, and the audience, but even the guy running our desk has commented how great it is to never have to touch my feed once main level is set and mixed in.

Yes, I only play in a small time local cover act, but I do it for the music, not the money, not the fame, mostly just for my own self satisfaction. Case in point, I wanna hear it, so I do it this way.

Doing a last minute sub tomorrow for a festival. One long set, 30 tunes (concert setting). Using my standard approach, which is basically each song has it's own preset. I use Song mode, and keep the MFC in Reveal mode all night (do Reveal just so I can be sure the proper FX are on when I switch Scenes, and if I decide to get wacky and go delay nutz or something- in Reveal I have 16 FX each assigned to their own IA). I have a four switch external hooked up to the MFC to control up to four Scenes per preset (though usually only use 2, one for rhythm and one for the lead- I only go above two if I have special Synth sounds like in Baba O'Riley or whatever). Songs in Song mode are in set order, so it's only one tap to move from one song to the next.

Takes a little time to setup at home (for the set itself- making the presets is another matter, but I'm a fan of "sounding like the record" as much as possible), but nothing crazy. At the shows it's uber easy, like I said, one tap on the UP switch each song. I'm always ready for the next tune before anyone else!

I agree...I was looking for some Boston-esque harmonized lead presets and haven't found any yet...but...I did find "Black Hole Sun" preset on Axe-Change that has all the patches in order to do the song....There should be a lot more of these on there....just sayin'... G

Like Severed, I have all my presets properly leveled and EQ'ed. So far i've never had a sound man even touch the EQ on the board- they're always amazed at how good my tone is and how they don't have to ride my fader for solos or anything.

Like Sev said, do it right beforehand and life is good.

I guess I'm the odd man out here, I create a preset for every song, complete with as an authentic recreation of the amp tone, gain structure, cab selection, and effects set up as I can manage.

Yes it's a lot of work, especially when Firmware updates change things frequently, so obviously it's a continuous work in progress. But it sure is worth while to me to be able to authentically recreate everything.

One of the reasons I bought the Axe Fx II is because you can do this.

I find it a little obnoxious to read posts saying I'm wasting my time and that I'm making the sound mans job harder cause my tone isn't consistent, and blah blah blah. We use our own PA, and hire a guy to run the sound and lights to enhance our performance. I spend a lot of time ensuring everything is levelled, and runs smoothly the entire night.

For the 1st couple months with the Axe FX I just used a couple presets, and while yes it can get you through, I just thought it such a waste to not use the Axe FX to its full potential, and figured if I am just gonna do it that way I might as well go back to using my Multichannel Tube Amp.

For the last 3 months, 7 gigs and 177 presets I have had nothing but compliments not only from my band mates, and the audience, but even the guy running our desk has commented how great it is to never have to touch my feed once main level is set and mixed in.

Yes, I only play in a small time local cover act, but I do it for the music, not the money, not the fame, mostly just for my own self satisfaction. Case in point, I wanna hear it, so I do it this way.

I am the same 1 preset per song as that is why i bought the axe for.....and personally i love the tweaking process

If you are just gonna have a generic clean, crunch, heavy & lead tone to cover 99% of the set, then just take a little Peavey or Fender tube amp with a tiny pedalboard. The Axe-II is overkill....

If you are just gonna have a generic clean, crunch, heavy & lead tone to cover 99% of the set, then just take a little Peavey or Fender tube amp with a tiny pedalboard. The Axe-II is overkill....

What a great idea ... let me go sell my Axe rig right now on ebay!

I do a combination. I use a lot of the same but quite a few per preset. Effects are per song for sure.

Last edited:

i'm sorry but that's ridiculous....

Around here the norm for bar band is 4 x 45 minute sets with 15 minute breaks. I play one bar that is 5 x 45 minute sets but we try not to play there very often as it is very fatiguing on singers. I don't go crazy with matching every tone for every song. I have 15 patches per bank that are arranged with all clean tones on the bottom row, varying rhythm tones in the middle and lead tones on the top. Then banks are arranged by genre or era. I find that for example in the classic rock cover band I play in a fender twin for clean, a plexi for rhythm, and a "brown" lead will cover a lot of ground.

I have all my stuff arranged with song and set list mode on my foot controller. I just step through scenes for the songs.

That is too much for me .. maybe when I was younger.

In NW NJ club/pub gigs usually run from 9 to 1 tops (usually wrap up around 12:45). some clubs 8-11.

Around here the norm for bar band is 4 x 45 minute sets with 15 minute breaks. I play one bar that is 5 x 45 minute sets but we try not to play there very often as it is very fatiguing on singers. I don't go crazy with matching every tone for every song. I have 15 patches per bank that are arranged with all clean tones on the bottom row, varying rhythm tones in the middle and lead tones on the top. Then banks are arranged by genre or era. I find that for example in the classic rock cover band I play in a fender twin for clean, a plexi for rhythm, and a "brown" lead will cover a lot of ground.

Reactions: BMH
I think venue and material play a huge role. I am covering stuff from funk, country, blues to thrash, metal, punk, and everything you can think of.

I mean if my cover band just stuck to classic rock I could prob get away with a single patch of 8 scenes for the entire night.

I think venue and material play a huge role. I am covering stuff from funk, country, blues to thrash, metal, punk, and everything you can think of.

I mean if my cover band just stuck to classic rock I could prob get away with a single patch of 8 scenes for the entire night.

We play mostly a mix of R&B/Oldies/Dance and a couple of classic rock tunes. Those styles are easy to cover with a couple of presets.

Back
Top Bottom