Cover band guys!

I am in a cover band and I only use a couple of presets (with multiple scenes) to cover about 200 songs in our book.

There are really two ways to approach this

1. Drive yourself crazy by trying to create a preset per song

Not too biased, are we?! Third option .... and I don't drive myself nuts ... my presets are setup per amp tones/effects, not per song. I have 50 of them setup, I use around 40 on any given night. Some presets are for synth. Some for my Teles, some for my PRS. Then you can resuse those tones. That is the beauty of the AxeFx in the first place. If I only had a few presets, even with different scenes, I would go back to a channel switching amp and effects board.

Some songs have a tone that without that signature sound, would flop... Barracuda comes to mind. I have about 15 patches that I use and of those 5 are generic patches. I am however only using the fx2 as an effects processer so I don't have to worry about different amp/ cab options. In a four hour night, we would cover about 55 songs.

Some songs have a tone that without that signature sound, would flop....

I totally agree! Thats what I luv about the Axe - many, many different tones! And being a Classic Rock guy/tone aficionado the possibilities are here.

I hate the same tone over n over. . .

Others songs needing its own sparkle, thunder, shimmer or shine: Owner of a Lonely Heart, Rock n Roll Fantasy, Fire Woman (intro) etc.

Last edited:
Doing a last minute sub tomorrow for a festival. One long set, 30 tunes (concert setting). Using my standard approach, which is basically each song has it's own preset. I use Song mode, and keep the MFC in Reveal mode all night (do Reveal just so I can be sure the proper FX are on when I switch Scenes, and if I decide to get wacky and go delay nutz or something- in Reveal I have 16 FX each assigned to their own IA). I have a four switch external hooked up to the MFC to control up to four Scenes per preset (though usually only use 2, one for rhythm and one for the lead- I only go above two if I have special Synth sounds like in Baba O'Riley or whatever). Songs in Song mode are in set order, so it's only one tap to move from one song to the next.

Takes a little time to setup at home (for the set itself- making the presets is another matter, but I'm a fan of "sounding like the record" as much as possible), but nothing crazy. At the shows it's uber easy, like I said, one tap on the UP switch each song. I'm always ready for the next tune before anyone else!

This is what I'm trying to do now one preset per song using 5 scenes.
My question is if you leave it in REVEAL mode can you use SCENES in song and set mode???
Does your song mode have to be arranged the same way your set modes are?
If you have 3 sets of 15 songs in REVÈAL mode you use UP&DOWN to go through your songs in a SET.
How do you change your SETS
Thanks Gary

I gig an average of 175-200 times per year and play a ton of covers. I truly believe its the pilot, not the plane. The Axe is a tool. A kickass tool, but a tool nonetheless and approaching cover songs with the intention of playing identical tones to the cover is a rabbit hole. Having some sonic-continuity between songs in a set is also a very valuable cover band tool!
However, a "tribute" band might have the desire to absolutely nail the tone, performance, nuances, etc... Enter the axe..

Some songs have a tone that without that signature sound, would flop... Barracuda comes to mind.

Two guitars

Guitar 1

strat - Music Man amp with a Flanger ( Phoenix Systems flanger )

guitar 2

Tele - 56 4x10 Bassman - cranked

that is it

Nothing out of the ordinary except the "pilots" Roger fisher and Howard Leese.

The flanger was from a kit - and it was set real slow -- but any flanger set slow will get you there.

the preamp on a Musicman was designed by Leo Fender and it is very TR like -- fender cleans.

You can actually cover this tune nicely with the Fender Twin sim/BB Pre and a flanger set slow.

All roads lead back to fender -- LOL

I gig an average of 175-200 times per year and play a ton of covers. I truly believe its the pilot, not the plane. The Axe is a tool. A kickass tool, but a tool nonetheless and approaching cover songs with the intention of playing identical tones to the cover is a rabbit hole. Having some sonic-continuity between songs in a set is also a very valuable cover band tool!
However, a "tribute" band might have the desire to absolutely nail the tone, performance, nuances, etc... Enter the axe..

I tend to agree with this although I started out creating patches for each song. Now I just have maybe 10 patches with scenes that can work for a number of songs. It doesn't really matter if I'm playing Loverboy or Journey (which we do, lol) the tone is similar, the same for disco funk stuff like Chic or Madonna, Bruno Mars - a good Fender Twin sound with my EBMM Silhouette Special on neck or 4 position works perfect to nail those strat tones. I could use my Strat but the EBMM is just more versatile and plays a bit better.

Nailing the sound IMHO is ok I guess.

But just having a nice patch in the same vain and "nailing" the solo, that's what people hear. Audience's don't know a wrecker from a Friedman,,,or tone.

Perfect example: I've played Santana songs on my Strats and folks have come up and said "wow", sounded just like the record.
I mean have fun.......just never worked for me.

Bravo! That's great that you took all the time to make all those presets but some of us may not have all that time, or might not be as proficient w/ this monster as yourself. So as you say, and i quote "I do it for the music, not the money" and this is a preset exchange forum are you going to give us some presets or just pat yourself on the back with your SMUG A__. Now if you have and I haven't seen the link I apologize please point me in the right direction, but if haven't then don't be mad about what I've written cause you sound like someone who smells their own farts.

66sam

Bravo! That's great that you took all the time to make all those presets but some of us may not have all that time, or might not be as proficient w/ this monster as yourself. So as you say, and i quote "I do it for the music, not the money" and this is a preset exchange forum are you going to give us some presets or just pat yourself on the back with your SMUG A__. Now if you have and I haven't seen the link I apologize please point me in the right direction, but if haven't then don't be mad about what I've written cause you sound like someone who smells their own farts.

Wow, welcome to the forum, nice first post.

uhhh yeah, well I was going to share, but I got distracted smelling my own farts.

Good day.

Back
Top Bottom