Corrupt / Unusable presets on AxeFXIII

Hello -

I started to experience a growing set of presets that become readonly. For example, there will be a valid preset saved in a slot, but if I try to erase the preset to a blank one, move it, or overwrite it, Axe Edit attempts to write it but the writing seems to silently fail. The changes are never saved. It started with one preset and now it's grown to 3 or 4 presets.

I tried resetting the whole Axe to factory settings and restoring from a backup but that still doesn't seem to fix that bad preset slots.

For example, I am trying to rename preset 450 and it will hang on the write for a few seconds, and then Axe still shows the write as pending.CleanShot 2023-05-17 at 07.59.44.png

Any ideas?

Have you tried on a different computer?
I haven't but it seems weird that only specific preset slots would be problematic due to the computer. As a quick test I tried to adjust the preset directly on the unit and safe it there, refresh in Axe and the changes were not persisted even though I made the edits directly on the device. Strange.

I haven't but it seems weird that only specific preset slots would be problematic due to the computer. As a quick test I tried to adjust the preset directly on the unit and safe it there, refresh in Axe and the changes were not persisted even though I made the edits directly on the device. Strange.
So you were able to edit and save them on the unit?

I attempted to save, but the changes were not persisted to the unit. Same behavior as Axe Edit. This would imply it's not the computer, cable, or axe edit.
I'm afraid I'm out of ideas then, since you can't save them on the unit......I'm sure somebody will come along who knows.....good luck.

Thanks @FractalAudio. If it is the flash, I assume we'd need an RMA to fix? I am going to try to reset to factory settings again and not move over some of the bad presets (the 2 in question are ones that have really high CPU so I'm hoping it could just be that).

Thanks @FractalAudio. If it is the flash, I assume we'd need an RMA to fix? I am going to try to reset to factory settings again and not move over some of the bad presets (the 2 in question are ones that have really high CPU so I'm hoping it could just be that).
Hi, did you get anywhere with this? I have a single slot I can't save to thats only happened in last week or so

@Nick Wood yes, I had to do a full reset and restore. I think the cause of the issue was a preset that took 90% CPU and once you have a preset like that you can't modify it, delete it, etc. So I backed everything up, then restored but did not bring over the one problematic preset.

I have seen this happen on another preset slot as well that was only 50% CPU as well and after the full reset I was able to recover - I avoided adding that one preset back as well.

@Nick Wood yes, I had to do a full reset and restore. I think the cause of the issue was a preset that took 90% CPU and once you have a preset like that you can't modify it, delete it, etc. So I backed everything up, then restored but did not bring over the one problematic preset.

I have seen this happen on another preset slot as well that was only 50% CPU as well and after the full reset I was able to recover - I avoided adding that one preset back as well.
Interesting! this one originally was a high CPU preset. I will try this out first... many thanks!

Tip:

If you find yourself in the Preset Manager with this problem try copying the preset to a new memory location and try saving again. I've found that this works quite often. I think the problem is in the target memory slot not the preset itself.

Alternatively, if you close out of the Preset Manager you can almost always save the preset to a new location by just using the "save to new preset number" option under the Preset menu. Usually this results in a saved preset that behaves normally the next time you go in to the Preset Manager.

Also, when going into the Preset Manager, park the current (live) preset in the buffer on an empty preset....and when moving things around in the Preset Manager only write/move to empty slots.....don't overwrite any existing presets. This will ensure that if you do get stuck you will still have the original version of the preset (before going into Preset Manager) in its old slot. I have started having a whole column of empty presets always available just for this functionality.

Let me know if you discover anything interesting.

Cheers

Hey there

The Mapro preset hits 92% on the MK1.. you say you tried to edit this one so my guess that must be it.

See my post about the Mapro preset
-> Thread 'Shoutout to Axe-change preset builder -> Mapro.. no member by that name' Here

Last edited:
T
Tip:

If you find yourself in the Preset Manager with this problem try copying the preset to a new memory location and try saving again. I've found that this works quite often. I think the problem is in the target memory slot not the preset itself.

Alternatively, if you close out of the Preset Manager you can almost always save the preset to a new location by just using the "save to new preset number" option under the Preset menu. Usually this results in a saved preset that behaves normally the next time you go in to the Preset Manager.

Also, when going into the Preset Manager, park the current (live) preset in the buffer on an empty preset....and when moving things around in the Preset Manager only write/move to empty slots.....don't overwrite any existing presets. This will ensure that if you do get stuck you will still have the original version of the preset (before going into Preset Manager) in its old slot. I have started having a whole column of empty presets always available just for this functionality.

Let me know if you discover anything interesting.

Cheers
Thanks fir the info. Yes I can save the preset elsewhere no problem, fir some reason it’s just this slot. My presets are basically custom by myself. This particular preset was hitting 80% and I had streamlined it a bit. I first noticed a problem when I found I couldn’t change the preset name but could in others. I’m going to try a full factory reset hopefully next week and see if it clears it. If it does then it’s def not a flash memory problem as far as I can see.

I’m going to try a full factory reset hopefully next week and see if it clears it.
I suggest you do a "Erase all Presets" as well. Just to clean up any potential memory issues. Then load back in only what you need first, leaving plenty of blank preset columns "next to" the ones you use. Then when testing actions in the Preset Manager always move to empty preset slots rather than overwriting existing. For me this has been a good fix avoiding getting caught with a "red" preset.

Back
Top Bottom