Copying Preset blocks you like into the block library - I'm stumped

Lee Servis

Inspired
Hello. I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but even after watching Steve Sterlacci's very helpful YT vid "Fractal Preset Making Trick - Blocks Library Shopping" I just can't seem to save my fave Plexi amps/ cabs into my library... or if I can, I can't seem to recall them or access them as easily as Mr Sterlacci does, because they are not showing in the "Amp" or "Cab" icon in the library once I've saved them... the icons look transparent and have no little black pointer next to them - unlike most of the other block icons.

I click on library and I get a "show folder" icon and when I click on that it shows me a download of what I've saved, but Mr Sterlacci never seems to have to do this. And once I'm on this page I haven't a real clue what I should do next... and there are no 'options' as such. Now I know this should be a very simple process but unfortunately I too am "very simple" when it comes to anything more computer savvy than switching the machine on and off.

I've almost given up on going the Block Library route and just loading the amps and cabs I see in my fave Presets and then just looking at and manually copying the parameters I see on screen from a Preset I like. But this is way more time-consuming than simply "saving" and "recalling" and Mr Sterlacci makes it look so quick and simple. I am clearly missing something simple. I am using a MacBook Air, if that is any help?

Are there any other Block Library/ 'stealing' blocks from your fave Presets YT vids that might help me get my head around this ?

Many thanks in advance for any help, guidance and assistance with this 'schoolboy' issue. My lack of computer/ tech savvy is a constant cause of frustration... especially when it comes to even getting the most simple satisfactions from my FM3 and FM9.

select the block you want to save in the grid and then click on the down arrow next to the little block library window in the bottom left. click save as.

This is what I meant by the Amp and Cab icons looking transparent after I'd saved a Plexi 50W 6550 amp and matching Cab... they'r empty - so no idea where I actually saved the Amp and Cab. I'm such a numptie . Thanks agin, in advance for any assistance that comes my way.
Amp & Cab Block.png

Maybe I should have gone back to the "beginning" whereas Mr Sterlacci's vid is for those with more Block Library experience. Thanks again.

Hmmmm, I don't get the "Save as" option, only "Save", "Refresh Library" and "Show Folder" ????? Back to square one ?

No matter which block in the grid I click on, after I highlight it, I NEVER get the "Save as" option - I can see it NOT in bold/ highlighted - only the "Save", "Refresh Library" and "Show Folder" options.

No matter which block in the grid I click on, after I highlight it, I NEVER get the "Save as" option - I can see it NOT in bold/ highlighted - only the "Save", "Refresh Library" and "Show Folder" options.
The first time you save a configured block to the library it'll say "Save".

Recall a block from the library to set the parameters of a block and then try to save again and you'll have the option to "Save As" in addition to "Save". At that point "Save" will overwrite that saved block with new settings, and "Save As" will allow you to create a new library entry without overwriting the block.

"Editors" in the Wiki has good descriptions of the various features in the Edit apps. In particular "Library" is your friend.

If I click on the "Show Folder" it opens a box with blue folder which has the download of the Plexi 50W 6550 I saved... but I don't know what to do next. I think there's something I haven't done to begin with, or have left neglected to do a basic piece of the process. I wish there was more guidance in the manual on how to use the Block Library... but maybe everyone but me is very competent with how the Block Library works, so it wasn't necessary.
Right, no more posts from me on the subject... I'm probably just becoming annoying now - I'm certainly starting to annoy myself.

Hmmmm, I don't get the "Save as" option, only "Save", "Refresh Library" and "Show Folder" ????? Back to square one ?
When you save a block in a preset to the library for the first time, the only option is "Save". Clicking on "Save" opens a window that allows you to name it. Any save after that first time shows the other options in the menu.

The first time you save a configured block to the library it'll say "Save".

Recall a block from the library to set the parameters of a block and then try to save again and you'll have the option to "Save As" in addition to "Save". At that point "Save" will overwrite that saved block with new settings, and "Save As" will allow you to create a new library entry without overwriting the block.
Jinx!

Hi Mr Ferguson, many thanks for the reply... but I'm not getting a 'Recall' option when the Library screen comes up. I may just give up... but thanks for your advice. As I said, I've/ I'm clearly doing something very basic, very wrong.

And I've no idea what the "Show Folder" option offers me. I click on it and it shows some kind of icon with the name of the amp, but I've no idea what I do with this.

Hi Mr Ferguson, many thanks for the reply... but I'm not getting a 'Recall' option when the Library screen comes up. I may just give up... but thanks for your advice. As I said, I've/ I'm clearly doing something very basic, very wrong.
There is no "Recall" button. You recall/retrieve/reload a saved block by clicking a particular block type in the grid, then clicking in the popup field immediately below Library in Edit's window. Edit will search for saved blocks of that type and present them to you for your selection.

And I've no idea what the "Show Folder" option offers me. I click on it and it shows some kind of icon with the name of the amp, but I've no idea what I do with this.
"Show Folder" shows you the Library's folder on disk if you want access to the individual blocks.

Ah, ok, I'll try that... but I guess you can tell by my responses this is proving way more difficult for me than it would anyone else. Lol. I'll give it one more go and then call it a day. It seemed a very useful thing (quick and easy, lol, for me... NOT SO) but I guess I've managed without doing it for 4 years, so I can't miss what I've never had.

Thanks again Greg - your time and patience are truly appreciated. I tried that: clicked on Amp in the grid. The pop-up menu appeared and I clicked on "Edit" but it showed NO amps. As I mentioned, the Amp and Cab icons are transparent... as though there's nothing in them ? I'm going to pursue this "line of inquiry" no further. I'm clearly being given sound advice by seasoned Fractal pros... and am still getting nowhere and don't want to waste any more of your time. Thanks again Greg.

Back
Top Bottom