convincing the non-believers

Sorry for derailing the thread guys... but cobbler started it :D

You are only as good as your last gig! :)

My apologies to clarky too!

As for the OP, nothing changes people’s minds unless they are open to it. The die hards will never be convinced. Seen it many times. Seen clips posted and guys claiming to have God given golden ears steadfastly say they know which is which in some comparison of “whatever” products only to be told they were wrong and still argue afterwards that there was some anomaly or they were tricked etc. There will always be backtracking or some excuse given for their inability to choose correctly. It’s the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
the only convincing i do with my gear is convincing the sound guy i know what i'm doing...

My apologies to clarky too!

no worries guys..
my best bud on the planet is a Canadian [Edmonton] that lives in Dallas...
back in '01 he infected me the with the hockey bug big time....
and one night in a bar in Dallas back in '07 after seeing the Stars destroy the Blackhawks
he presented me with a Canada jersey and dubbed me an honorary Canadian... lmao..
after enough beers... everything seems to make so much sense.. lol..

While the tone quest is a fascinating and absorbing journey, nothing speaks more than the music. An OK tone that mixes with the band is better than some "ultimate tone" that doesn't mix. Good music impresses everyone; good tone impresses tone snobs, and as this thread demonstrates, they're rarely impressed anyway.

I am a classically trained composer - I studied a lot of modern art music by composers who are still living. I love modern experimental music.

There are some people who think that music started to turn stupid when Brahms keeled over. They are utterly convinced that if it's not some guy imitating pre-1900 technique, that it's just ugly crap.

I don't even attempt arguing with anybody these days about things musical. Especially when it comes to digital/modeling/sampling vs the real deal. You either like it or you don't. You're either open or close minded. It seems the only people who really give a crap about guitar gear, are guitarists. Most people don't know what the hell I'm talking about when I talk music at all, much less do they care that I've got an Axe-fx II. They only care if it sounds pleasing to their ear, which in most cases the Axe-fx II indeed does.

As far as I can see, the Axe-II does an amazing job. I can't get it to sound 100% like a tube amp yet - maybe that's partly user error. But really, I still love the thing to death. And further, there is no way I'd be producing music like this:

Bernie Rico Jr Guitar Mix by Speculum Speculorum on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

with tube amps and mic'ed drum kits in my apartment in the middle of the night, even with a custom made iso box, so I just don't even care.

Kinda goes both ways though! There are stubborn people on both sides 8) Remember when the first generation AFX came...it was claimed to clone tube amps. Meaning, you guys should have no problem going back to an Ultra...since it was already there, right? I never liked the first generation. To me it was not even close, and I had plenty arguments with the Axe crowd over that. The II is much, much better. I'm sure it can sound close to exactly the same as some tube amps out there, and with some editing magic it can surely sound better than many, but there is still things it can't do; particularly amps that rely on power amp saturation. The Grev V clips in the Tweed thread come to mind.

Anyway, the combination of sound and flexibility makes it a wonderful additional choice for me 8)

It's only gear... Nothing to obsess over.
+1
i don't post there as i am usually active in the forum dedicated to the gear i am using at the point in time. tgp is just too all-over-the-place for what i need to look for.
but i did chance upon the thread and have been reading it like a supermarket tabloid (fun but does not affect me in anyway).

I usually have a lot of boring free time(waiting at airports, waiting to go onstage after sound check, etc) since i can't play guitar the next best thing is to read and learn about gear etc on the forums, but I'm down to only a few now, only the ones dedicated to the gear I use, but lately I've been posting less and less, it seems you can't have an honest opinion these days without being called a fan boy, or someone with an agenda, so I pretty much give up, some people ask for opinions, then when you give your opinion it ends up in a long battle to have to prove this and that, you get called names, rude private messages etc.. unreal.. :)
I use what I like, in this case the Axe II for all my gigs, because I can get everything I need out of it, but could use anything I want if I thought something else did better job, so I'm happy, from now on i just post my opinion once, and when i start to get attacked I'll just ignore the posts and don't even bother to respond.. if someone insists their brand L, D or K is the best, good for them, they can use it, I enjoy what I use.. :)

No words necessary! :)

sweet.jpg

What brand/model are those rack cases?

Trying to tell someone that they should like something is pointless and is usually met with resistance. But if someone hears a well recorded track and can make a judgment based on that then I think that it carries a lot more weight.

I don't like the whole "does it sound like this or that amp" thing because you will always get detractors who hear with their eyes and to be honest it does the unit an injustice. Make a judgment based on its own sound and go from there. There is an endless spectrum of tones that can all sound great; it shouldn't be limited to mimicking something else. If someone wants to sound exactly like one particular amp then I think that they should buy that amp. In the meantime I'll enjoy the ability to sculpt a ginormous range of tones from my AxeFXII.

And lastly everyone's taste and situation is unique. What I enjoy and how I work isn't for everyone and it's a personal choice. I respect their choice. If someone has a specific question I am more than happy to answer, but I have been trying extremely hard to get away from subjective comments anytime it's an area of technical discussion. Once you start sounding like an advertisement people get suspicious. I know that I would.

An honest to goodness demonstration is the best way to show the capabilities and sound.

Looks like there are enough room in the case to hook up XLR cables on the Axe FX II without them hanging out the back

Plenty of room. Measures 5 inches from back of Axe II to rear rails. The power strip on top is 3.5 inches wide for perspective. Don't mind the tray its sitting on. That is not part of the rack. I just put that on the amp stand for stability. I only mention it in case you are wondering what those plastic things are on the bottom of first photo.

rear1.jpg

rear3.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom