Continued support and updates for Standard and Ultra

Scott.A.B

First off Congrats to Fractal for providing us the next generation of Digital modeling perfection. Advancements in technology happen all the time with computers, 12 to 18 months and you new laptop is well ...... obsolete ( it still works but is not the latest and greatest). If this was not the case we would all still be using 486 computers and 9600 baud modems, in any case I have had my Ultra little over a year, I installed the 11.0 update last night, and all I can say is wow !!!!!!
the bottom end I was always trying to dial out is now gone.
If this update is representative if what is to come in the Ultra II way to go Cliff !!

"Whereas the Axe-Fx Standard and Ultra are …almost… mature in terms of their capacity for further development, the Axe-Fx II is well equipped for a future of free upgrades and updates in the tradition that established our commitment to product evolution."

The question in my mind is How long will the Standard and the Ultra be supported and receive updates ? based on the statement above from the Ultra II product page this is the question that sticks in my mind

Scott

Well, Cliff has often said that both the Standard and Ultra have plenty of room for more amp models. I take some comfort in that.

Then again, nearly all of my wish list amps are already modeled in the box....

A great request for Cliff/ Fractal

I hope, Cliff/ Fractal take care of the old Axe FX 1 user. We´ve bought a very, very good unit with much improvements over the years. That was one big reason why i´ve bought my Ultra. I was looking after a unit which is fully supported. That kind of support hold my interest in the unit (i hope you understand what i mean, sorry for my english). See, we´ve bought a unit for about 2000$/€, most of us in the last weeks/ months. We all are looking forward to those things which will come out with future firmwares. Not really bugfixes (which bugs? ;-) ), but more like little improvements (like in 11.0) or new presets or something else.

Now, suddenly, the world will get a new Axe FX and suddenly there will be no more support? The support was one reason for buying for me! It´s clear for me, that it is not possible to support a unit for ever. But the Axe 1 has so much air, so many possibilities. An end of the support/ improvements would be very, very sad. :cry

We´ve bought not a cheap unit, we´ve bought a unit with much, much potential and it would be so sad if this potential would be not further supported by Cliff/ Fractal.
Thats my opinion.

My opinion is, that the Axe 1 is not an old or "not so good" unit only because an Axe 2 will come. The Axe/ Ultra is still one of the best units on the market! It would be a shame if Cliff/ Fractal would let it fall. Those units are nevertheless so, so good for most of the normal users around the world! Don´t forget this! There are still so many users around the world who would be so happy if they could have an Axe/Ultra !!

So, please, Cliff/ Fractal, don´t let us and the old Axe fall. Please give us and the Axe 1 a little bit more for the near future! Please respect those, who spend their money for those great units which has much more potential!
Perhaps, some improvements/ presets and something else of the new Axe II is transferable with little bit changes to the Axe 1?

Hey, and to all Axe 1 users: We have the second best unit ever! ;) ...after the Axe II, may be. Do everyone of us really need to sell the Axe Ultra to buy the Axe II. Did everyone scratched at the end of possibilities of the old one?? ;)

Check out all his comments about the Standard/Ultra before going assuming the worst. There will be support, just not much more in terms of new features. There's no room to put the code. Bug fixes, yes. Additional amp models, yes. But he's spent years trying to fit as much as he can within the constraints of the available resources on the legacy units and there's a point where the bucket is full and no matter how much you want to, there's just no more that will fit.

His comments here say a lot: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/showthread.php?t=35997&p=490907&viewfull=1#post490907

How about spliting the Firmware between Amp-Models for High-Gain-Users and Clean-Crunch-User?! Or write an Editor which can generate Custom Firmwares, where you can load only your prefered Ampsym therefore as much more assortment? That would be niiiiiiiiiiiiice :D

I'm sure it's not possible, but I would love the idea of a modular kernel Linux style.
I really don't use a couple of effects and ampsims and most probably some other guy says those things are the best thing on earth after inventing scrambled eggs.

As per Cliffs comment on the room left in the Ultra http://forum.fractalaudio.com/showthread.php?t=35997&p=490907&viewfull=1#post490907
would a cull of under-used/un-popular amps Cabs (and maybe FX) help free up some room for some new code. Maybe a referendum/poll on which amps/cabs could go. I can certainly think of at least 8 amps I'd never use and I'm sure so can others. Maybe get rid of a couple of the cab sims to use as extra user slots?

Thoughts?

Yes, that would be a good idea too. I dont need anywhere near 20% of the Amps. I would create 10 more usercabslots, therefore delete the Standardcabs. And everyone can just load the IRs he NEEDS (Redwirez, Owhnhammers, the Stock cabs..).

Last edited:
Wonder if we could get some official comment on this as to whether it's:
a/ Feasible
b/ Just how much of a cull to be effective
c/ Cost/time effective to do so

Interesting thoughts. Standard cabs maybe could be "deleted" and converted into "standard IR" that people can load if they want or use RedW, OwnH. Problem is I guess with the Amps, must be same amount of opinions as users on the forum regarding what amps to delete. ;)

Interesting thoughts. Standard cabs maybe could be "deleted" and converted into "standard IR" that people can load if they want or use RedW, OwnH. Problem is I guess with the Amps, must be same amount of opinions as users on the forum regarding what amps to delete. ;)

If you could still get certain amp sounds through combinations of tonestack varieties and tweaks then I'm sure alot of the "generic" amps are redundant. Lose the same amps as the Axe II for instance.

As per Cliffs comment on the room left in the Ultra http://forum.fractalaudio.com/showthread.php?t=35997&p=490907&viewfull=1#post490907
would a cull of under-used/un-popular amps Cabs (and maybe FX) help free up some room for some new code. Maybe a referendum/poll on which amps/cabs could go. I can certainly think of at least 8 amps I'd never use and I'm sure so can others. Maybe get rid of a couple of the cab sims to use as extra user slots?

Thoughts?

first of all, pretty much every amp sim has at least one user that swears by it.
same about the cabs - and IIRC Cliff (or Jay) stated somewhere that the factory cabs and the user cabs occupy different memory types (?) I hope I got that right...

I wonder how possible it would be to make all the amps and cab a downloadable option instead of being preloaded on the units...
Just DL the ones you wanted.
I am sure it wouldn't be easy, but it would be quite cool ;-)
...just thinking out loud...

I wonder how possible it would be to make all the amps and cab a downloadable option instead of being preloaded on the units...
Just DL the ones you wanted.
I am sure it wouldn't be easy, but it would be quite cool ;-)
...just thinking out loud...

Modular firmware would be too much of a ball ache I think. Think it's been proposed before as has the deleting of cabs/amps in favour of user slots. I'm not talking about that per se but a general freeing up of memory for any new tweaks or code, gotta be worth a poll at least? Plus the user cabs live in a different memory to the Axe Ir's. Volatile vs Non volatile IIRC?

It's not Cliff's support I'm worried about. I'm worried about losing the updates from the big users like Scott, Yek etc who I borrow (alright, steal) sounds and IRs from. They'll be experimenting and developing their ideas on the II and their insights may not work with the Axe Classic.

It's not Cliff's support I'm worried about. I'm worried about losing the updates from the big users like Scott, Yek etc who I borrow (alright, steal) sounds and IRs from. They'll be experimenting and developing their ideas on the II and their insights may not work with the Axe Classic.

Was thinking about this too... when all the senior members and great guys that put so much effort and input to this forum swapped over to AXE II, how the hell can a confused and technically challanged user like me survive... oh cruel world....

Yeah, I think that'll be the biggest hit for a lot of people. But... so much of their stuff is out here in the forums and on the Wiki that it'll be a great starting point for a lot of people to delve in and work much out on their own from there.

Maybe we can convince them to write their final memoirs as they retire their legacy units and ride off into the sunset towards their new adventure. :)

Holy crap that's good... I'm going to go write a screenplay. Hollywood will buy anything these days. ;)

Back
Top Bottom