Condensation under LCD Screen?

I have an under kitchen sink reverse osmosis water filter…I have used this type system for ~30 years.
Last time I bought one I paid ~200-250 dollars and installed myself.
Had a big one on a sailboat to turn seawater in to potable water. Super cool on the ocean.

The only issue with reverse osmosis is that it is so pure, that it will/can leech minerals out of your body when you drink it for long periods of time.

I use a Berkey in the house.

Had a big one on a sailboat to turn seawater in to potable water. Super cool on the ocean.

The only issue with reverse osmosis is that it is so pure, that it will/can leech minerals out of your body when you drink it for long periods of time.

I use a Berkey in the house.
I have heard this…even though the WHO(take it for what it’s worth) has indicated that people get most of their minerals from food.

I’ve had numerous blood tests over the years and have not experienced issues with minerals…yet? :)

Am I the only one who thinks this doesn't have anything to do with humidity? Has anyone confirmed it actually is humidity and not something to do with the the construction of the screen itself?
Everything was ok before I bought a humidifier))
AF2 and AF1 located nearby are not affected (visually)...

For the last little while I have had what appears to be condensation under my LCD screen. I believe it got there as a result of having a humidifier on in the room for my guitars.
  • Has anyone else experienced this ?
  • Any suggestions to get rid of it ?
Yep, I have it, too. It is mineral dust from humidifier. Drying out the unit will not have any effect. It is mineral dust, not fog.

On a side note, I'm curious how high-dollar guitar shops or collectors keep humidity up for acoustic guitars. I've tried three different humidifiers, and I filter water through Brita filter before filling the unit. Still a little dusty, though much better than the early humidifier I had that was not the evaporative type, and I wasn't filtering the water first. I don't mind spending money, I just haven't found any solutions...folks just recommend evaporative-type humidifiers and pre-filtering the water. But I still have fine, white dust on my home studio gear, and under the glass of the Axe FX III. Interestingly, my Axe FX II does not suffer from this problem - perhaps the glass is sealed better at the edges?

>>What does a high-dollar acoustic guitar company do to keep humidity at 45-50% and not have white dust?

1658011476967.png

If you use distilled water (sometimes called deionized water) you will not have a problem. A Brita filter will not remove the dissolved salts that cause the dust.
Yeah, I kinda figured that. But deionized water is around $2-$3/gallon. A humidifier goes through a couple gallons per day. I don't really mind the $6, but buying and storing dozens of gallons of water...is that the only solution (the one, say, Martin uses in their factory)?

Yeah, I kinda figured that. But deionized water is around $2-$3/gallon. A humidifier goes through a couple gallons per day. I don't really mind the $6, but buying and storing dozens of gallons of water...is that the only solution (the one, say, Martin uses in their factory)?
No - you can buy a unit that makers distilled water (slow), or you can buy an RO filter, which is what I use.

So, what was the magic trick to clean this?
in my earlier post in this thread I explained the fix. Basicly I opened it up and got the the screen and wiped it down. Then you use distilled water moving forward
No - you can buy a unit that makers distilled water (slow), or you can buy an RO filter, which is what I use.
I finally did this - when You could not even buy distilled water in AZ a few months ago - I paid $300 for a unit that produces 1 gal of Distilled water in about 5 hrs. I tried using only water softener + RO but that did now work as in AZ the water is very hard . I do use the RO water into the distiller and that produces water with no minerals.

Since I sleep with a humidifier as well the investment for the Distiller was a not brainer. I have 10 plastic 1 gal bottles that I fill with my home brewed distilled water and rotate them - I then distill one gallon each night as I sleep.

in my earlier post in this thread I explained the fix. Basicly I opened it up and got the the screen and wiped it down. Then you use distilled water moving forward

I finally did this - when You could not even buy distilled water in AZ a few months ago - I paid $300 for a unit that produces 1 gal of Distilled water in about 5 hrs. I tried using only water softener + RO but that did now work as in AZ the water is very hard . I do use the RO water into the distiller and that produces water with no minerals.

Since I sleep with a humidifier as well the investment for the Distiller was a not brainer. I have 10 plastic 1 gal bottles that I fill with my home brewed distilled water and rotate them - I then distill one gallon each night as I sleep.
Interested in the distiller. I have a gallon, about 2/3 full, for my soldering iron. Could stand to humidify the master BR for better breathing and my music room to perhaps correct the split in my Taylor acoustic's top from 14 years of AZ dry....

I posted this in a different thread about this topic, but I had the same issue and switched to a Honeywell evaporative type humidifier with a filter. I haven't had the problem since, so the filter must be catching all the mineral dust. I checked and the model I have is HCM-710. I'm not sure if it's been discontinued though because it's been unavailable for a long time. Otherwise, I was going to buy another one for a different room. You could look for something similar if you don't want to deal with distilled water.

I'm curious how high-dollar guitar shops or collectors keep humidity up for acoustic guitars.
They don't use ultrasonic humidifiers. That type atomizes the water into a fog but the droplets still contain the same concentration of minerals. The droplets land on something and then evaporate and leave the minerals behind.

Instead, shops use an evaporative humidifier, which I switched to, and it uses a fan to blow air through a filter membrane that has soaked up water. That causes the water to evaporate, leaving the minerals on the filter. It's similar to how an evaporative cooler works. I have to replace the filters about every three months.

I'm currently using Amazon product ASIN B00H1LBJJM and it's been working nicely.

You can actually use a big bowl of water and let it evaporate by itself. Position a fan so it blows across it and it'll evaporate the water as necessary, but spills are a concern.

Back
Top Bottom