Comfortably Numb 2022

Daveis

Inspired

I’m a big fan of the original song and guitar solos. This new version feels like a movie soundtrack for Bladerunner. I think its possible to not understand what led to your previous succeses. And maybe accept that lightning only strikes once and its hard to repeat.

I’m a big fan of the original song and guitar solos. This new version feels like a movie soundtrack for Bladerunner. I think its possible to not understand what led to your previous succeses. And maybe accept that lightning only strikes once and its hard to repeat.

I saw this come up last night on youtube and didn't watch it on purpose. I've gotten more and more into Pink Floyd over recent years and now a huge Gilmour fan, I find it hard to watch Roger Waters doing the Floyd stuff now, it doesn't seem as authentic.

What happened between those two, because I have seen various interviews with Dave Gilmour where he speaks very respectfully of Roger and it made me wonder why they didn't keep the original band together because let's face it, that would be better than any alternative.

Yeah as @Purplestrats said, feels a lot like Leonard Cohen - especially in the chorus sections. For my money it doesn't get better than Gilmour's solos in that song; probably some of the greatest solos ever. Period.

This version sounds like it's trying too hard to be moody, brooding, dark. The "Batman" redux equivalent in a not so good way.

I've always been on team Gilmour in that conflict I suppose. Waters wanted to take his ball and go home, and later he filed a suit against the rest of the guys for keeping on playing under the Pink Floyd banner. Over the years Waters have talked about wanting to reconcile with the others, but always on his own terms. Then he sulks publicly about Gilmour when he doesn't get his way. It seems to me that Waters fundamentally doesn't respect Gilmour or the others, and thinks Pink Floyd would have been a great success with any group of musicians, as long as Waters himself was at the helm.

I've always been on team Gilmour in that conflict I suppose. Waters wanted to take his ball and go home, and later he filed a suit against the rest of the guys for keeping on playing under the Pink Floyd banner. Over the years Waters have talked about wanting to reconcile with the others, but always on his own terms. Then he sulks publicly about Gilmour when he doesn't get his way. It seems to me that Waters fundamentally doesn't respect Gilmour or the others, and thinks Pink Floyd would have been a great success with any group of musicians, as long as Waters himself was at the helm.
Interesting because I wasn't aware of who left the band, so Waters basically left, leaving Gilmour to get on with it, presumably thinking Floyd wouldn't carry on, well I suppose it hasn't but Dave still plays all the music obviously. I did see Water's rant on youtube about Gilmour controlling the Pink Floyd web site which I thought was a bit beneath him really.

What a shame that ego gets in the way and spoils such a great thing.

For my money it doesn't get better than Gilmour's solos in that song; probably some of the greatest solos ever. Period.
Totally agree. There's just a sonic thing going on when he plays that stuff, a mixture of great tone, volume, and technique, it's not really over fussy either is it, which probably adds to the impact.

A friend of mine offered me a ticket to Waters latest show when it hit MSG, i didn't end up going though i would have loved to see Kilminster playing guitar. Watching this version of one of my top 5 songs ever IMO butchered was a deciding factor. To me Waters is that kid that takes his ball and whines all the way home because he doesn't like the way the game is played.

A friend of mine offered me a ticket to Waters latest show when it hit MSG, i didn't end up going though i would have loved to see Kilminster playing guitar. Watching this version of one of my top 5 songs ever IMO butchered was a deciding factor. To me Waters is that kid that takes his ball and whines all the way home because he doesn't like the way the game is played.
Yeah I'm starting to come to that conclusion too. Another thing I don't like about Roger Waters is his continual Political commentary.
Not only is it a bad idea for musicians to ever talk Politics, but he doesn't seem to have any actual in depth knowledge of what he's talking about anyway so he's hardly an authority on current affairs.

The last thing I really liked from Roger was Amused to Death, which sounded like it could have been a Floyd album, especially Bravery of Being Out of Range. He was always exploring political or ppsychological drama in his songs, but I think post Amused to Death he became extremely crude and heavy handed bashing listeners over the head, as with this reinterpretation.

Last edited:
Waters left PF, and honestly, I didn't miss him at all. Not taking away anything from the early albums. I still listen to them a lot, but I also listen to the post-Waters albums a lot.

I will say that having seen post-breakup Waters in concert, and Gilmour in concert; Gilmour every single time. I feel like Gilmour wanted to keep making music, and Waters just wanted a platform for his politics.

The truth is Waters and Gilmour (really all the band) came from what would have been considered the middle upper crust, privileged part of society in post WWII England. Many others Brits were in poverty in a very depressed economic time. Musically you can compare what was produced by the poor, blue color (heavy metal) industrial Birmingham area (Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc.) vs. Pink Floyd and the “progressive bands” of the time. As a guitar player who has been heavily influenced by Gilmour I tended to side with Gilmour over Waters, but as time has gone on in the last 10 to 20 years I realized Gilmour as much as Waters were both stubborn egotists with nasty dispositions if their feathers got ruffled. Gilmour is more passive aggressive while Waters lays it all out there. I guess his literary side can’t help itself. So Gilmour seemed to always come off as the nice guy especially among younger folks who didn’t realize there was a whole life (arguably the most important) of the band prior to The Wall. Politically they’re both typical elite types with ridiculous opinions.

Having said this I will always be a huge fan and love the Waters, Gilmour, Wright, Mason Pink Floyd as one of the best bands ever. As far as Waters artistic credibility, I remember him saying that “many people can write a single verse that might be of some interest, but try writing a second just as good or better and then another and even another having them all connect in some way and come together to form a story…”Not many can do that”!

P.S.
And for those who think Gilmour was such a nice guy and was all about the band and music…
“In 1986, Gilmour began recruiting musicians for what would become Pink Floyd's first album without Waters, A Momentary Lapse of Reason. There were legal obstacles to Wright's re-admittance to the band, but after a meeting in Hampstead, Pink Floyd invited Wright to participate in the coming sessions. Gilmour later stated that Wright's presence "would make us stronger legally and musically", and Pink Floyd employed him as a musician with weekly earnings of $11,000.“

Just a hired hand…sounds like he didn’t really care much for Wright just like Waters during the last stages. I think Richard Wright was a critical part of the band. It was his Jazz influenced chords and turn arounds on DSOTM that make many parts of that all time great recording. Also Gilmour’s PF pt.2 took many other outsiders (Engineers, Producers) to make it what it was. Lyrically Gilmour just can’t write a good song. The Division Bell lyrics are almost 100% his wife’s.

One more thing we should never forget is a guy named Alan Parsons that was key in PF’s best material. Although I do think Animals is on par with the previous.

Edited for silly spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited:
Oh and the video is the most profound thing I’ve seen and heard in quite some time. Of course it doesn’t have the guitar solo that has come to be considered the best solo of all time.😉 But it is stunning and in the middle of the most lamenting tone and visual imagery there’s the very typical sardonic humor of the pig silhouette floating across the screen. The whole Pig thing is all Waters all the way from Animals and the Battersea Power Station photo with it coming loose and floating across London disrupting Heathrow Airport up until present day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom