Cliff's favorite amps?

sumitagarwal

Inspired
Nobody has the kind of intimacy with these models or original amps the way Cliff does, so it's got me curious which ones he likes most (if he's revealed that over time).

We know he likes Plexis and his favorite of those is the 6CA7. I spent more time with it dialing around tones because of that, and now I understand why it's his favorite. Based on that I'd definitely want to spend some time with other personal faves of his to see what I might be missing.

Nobody has the kind of intimacy with these models or original amps the way Cliff does, so it's got me curious which ones he likes most (if he's revealed that over time).

We know he likes Plexis and his favorite of those is the 6CA7. I spent more time with it dialing around tones because of that, and now I understand why it's his favorite. Based on that I'd definitely want to spend some time with other personal faves of his to see what I might be missing.
Well, until you get a reply, maybe try some FAS models?
That's him modelling amps in an ideal way, how they should be if technicalities and cost weren't a concern.
For example, implementing 2nd order filters, which he said would be quite expensive in a real amp.

I remember reading somewhere that he said if it were up to him, there would be only FAS amps, but users want the classics, so the Dude abides (not verbatim). Not sure when/where such a quote may be found, but I did read that within the past couple of months (though the quote may have been from years ago). My two favorites lately are the FAS Buttery and the FAS Class A, but that is just me standing on the shoulders of a giant Cliff ;~))

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere that he said if it were up to him, there would be only FAS amps, but users want the classics, so the Dude abides (not verbatim). Not sure when/where such a quote may be found, but I did read that within the past couple of months (though the quote may have been from years ago). My two favorites lately are the FAS Buttery and the FAS Class A, but that is just me standing on the shoulders of a giant Cliff ;~))
I got you
If I had my way there would be only FAS models but too many people demand reproductions of existing amps.

I always thought he was big into Mesa's
I'm sure I read when he was gigging a lot that's what he favoured

Certainly be interesting to hear what he likes

"If I had my way there would be only FAS models but too many people demand reproductions of existing amps."
Post in thread 'FAS Class-A is...Even Better than the Real Thing' https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...etter-than-the-real-thing.162257/post-1944014

Back
Top Bottom