Cliff! What system are you using when upgrading firmware??

dupere11497

Experienced
Just wondering! Are you going frfr or using tube poweramp or ss poweramp, or monitor? Whatever!! How do you use your Axe2 when playing at home??

I do A/B comparisons with the real amps through a SS amp and cab. I then audition through nearfield monitors.

The amp is an old Carvin FET amp. The cabinet is a 4x12 stereo cab. I put the DUT in one side and the AxeII in the other.

Good set up!! Talking about Carvin!!?? Any chance you model a Legacy or V3m one of these days?? This has been ask a lot of time and no awnser so far...

Or I will ask this another way! Is there an amp not inclued in the axe 2 so far you would like to add in eventually? I know this is a 1000$ question...you have the right to remain silence....gee...It seems like I repeate this sentence all the time!!! :)

So many of the amps people ask for are either blatant copies or slight derivatives of the amps already in there.

I had asked in another thread and its not a whole amp per se but would you consider the "modern" mode on the Shiva 20th .I know a lot of guy like Cantrell used this .and I think it sounds different than the other Bogs a bit
would be cool if the Classic Shiva and Modern Shiva was a setting ....

I do A/B comparisons with the real amps through a SS amp and cab. I then audition through nearfield monitors.

I'd be very interested in anything you can share as to what IR's you use to evaluate thru the nearfields. Do you try to get a matched sound from a close mic'd cab/close mic'ed IR's?

And this is a fact!! A Marshall is a Marshall!! Whatever a Friedman or a JCM, it is a Marshall!! In the end, I always ends up getting the same sound whatever amp I use!! So Cliff, you are right!! Unless an amp has a really different shematic, it's all the same!! Only Eq changes a thing..and my tone is already spot on!! Don't change anything Cliff!! Everything's perfect!!

Yeah. I don't know how many more hot-rodded Marshalls we need. What would be handy for dialing in sounds is a list of related amps and maybe some ideas of Axe-FX tweaks to make them more like related amps.

At some point I think it would be cool to see a truly 100% modeled amp complete with virtual switches and modes. I am sure a Mesa Mark V would be a challenge to model like that. :)

At some point I think it would be cool to see a truly 100% modeled amp complete with virtual switches and modes. I am sure a Mesa Mark V would be a challenge to model like that. :)

I think that at that point copyright issues would arise.

Reactions: jon
It already being done in software VST/Standalones. I don't see how it is fundamentally different than whats being done now.

Maybe. "Look and feel" is different from "tones based on ...." in terms of copyright.

I'm not convinced that it'd be an issue (but if it were it'd likely be one of trademark not copyright) as long as the name of the amp wasn't given. Just take a look at NI Guitar Rig. It seems more just like something that wouldn't be much more of a benefit than the options already available to us. We can already tweak amp elements that few real amp owners without modding skill can ever hope to monkey with.

Last edited:
Maybe. "Look and feel" is different from "tones based on ...." in terms of copyright.

It wouldn't look like it. It would be a bunch a virtual knobs. VSTs are already emulating the look a lot more than the Axe-fx would. We already have a lot of the virtual switches (actually more on a lot). Personally, I think things are fine the way the are. Although I would not be adverse to channel switching abilities.

Back
Top Bottom