CLIFF, release me from "Patch Creation Purgatory"

Cliff said "soon." Would be nice to know whether that means days, weeks or (gasp) months, but you can't have everything.

Yep, with the major changes, I'm assuming many users feel like it's a "waste" to further program/tweak patches for 5.07. That's where the "it would be nice to have an ETA" seems like a fair comment. As a fairly new Axe-FXII user, I was just getting to the point of programming my own patches versus using factory/downloaded patches. Then the announcement of 6.0, and now I feel like I should wait until 6.0 is released before working on my own patches. That's where the indefinite wait becomes a bit frustrating.

Not saying it's not worth it, and I don't appreciate the massive amount of effort from both Fractal and beta users!!! Just sharing my own end-user experience. ;-)

Please dont tell me I am going to be forced to turn my unit off and then on AGAIN for the update. The HORROR! :lol

Cliff said "soon." Would be nice to know whether that means days, weeks or (gasp) months, but you can't have everything.

Not speaking in any official capacity whatsoever:

Knowing the history of giving ETA's - there will never be an ETA given. It'd be suicide.

Soon does/does not mean days, weeks, or months in any specific manner. Soon means within a reasonable time frame. There are a lot of folks working hard on doing a lot of things behind the scenes. I can assure everyone that from my vantage point - the folks that do the heavy lifting are indeed working their asses off doing their heavy lifting behind the scenes and when the beta testers get something to beta they beta the **** out of it ASAP. Feedback is given, issues are isolated and reported and the cycle repeats until it is deemed done. It's far more work than play; and not all of it (much of it?) is fun. It can be fun; but it is intense more than it is just goofing around with new stuff.

Strongly IMHO, YMMV.

I don't see the reason behind the big rush???
OK the Tone matching is going to be cool, and I wil play around with it some,
but I think 5.07 is f'n amazing. Some of the sounds I've been getting out of this thing lately are flat out amazing.
the OH FF IRs have really added that "oommph" to my high gain sims.
I'm actually more excited about the ability to synch my MFC, my Axe II and Axe edit in real time (I think that's been mentioned)

Not speaking in any official capacity whatsoever:

Knowing the history of giving ETA's - there will never be an ETA given. It'd be suicide.

Strongly IMHO, YMMV.

Sorry, I have an equally strong IMHO disgreement that ETA = suicide. I've been involved with massive software releases, have gathered detailed feedback from end-users, and have been involved in release decisions that have impacted millions of users. While there are definitely pros and cons each way (ETA versus release-as-soon-as-ready), in most cases users preferred the ETA approach.

I'm not asking Fractal to change their approach, but it may be something to look at in the future. There are many benefits to a carefully managed ETA approach.

Of course, Fractal could have said nothing and posted no clips until it was ready. Then there would be no anticipation, no cries for release ETA. But what fun would that be?

Oh no, my thread has been relegated to the "off topic lounge" where threads are sent for a quick death!! lol

Ok then, what about some more juicy behind the scenes info, or a demo clip of the new modeling, or another tone match demo. Throw us a bone!!

I think i'm as excited to just read all the release notes, as I am to test the 6.0 stuff out. Crazy but true!!

Anyway, good luck & God speed to Cliff and team!!

Yep, with the major changes, I'm assuming many users feel like it's a "waste" to further program/tweak patches for 5.07. That's where the "it would be nice to have an ETA" seems like a fair comment.

+1, that's exactly my situation. I n e e d to redo my patches and create quite some new ones for cover stuff, and I don't want to do it twice - so I'm waiting.
But I'm not complaining and agree on the "don't rush it, take your time and release a clean firmware".

I couldn't care less for MFC and Axe-Edit integration though :razz
So get 6.0 OUT! :twisted

As earlier stated, I just wanted to make 101% sure I'm beyond happy with 5.04.
And this is why : Apr 3, 2012 3:13pm | Facebook
It's just way too much fun, been playing about 4 hours straight and only a snapped string / powercut will stop me.
Many thanks yet again to Cliff, FAS and all the people that keep me in this musically fullfilled state of mind.

Let me take a stab in the dark: the firmware will be released this thursday around 7pm EDT. :eek:

I think threads like this are truly unnecessary. You guys already know that the whole FAS + Beta team is putting maximum effort into the Axe FX II, thus it's logical that they'll release the firmware as soon as humanly possible.

That's all that matters, and no begging and whining will speed up the release process. So why not chill out, read a book, watch some movies, play some games, play some guitars on 5.07 (because it still sounds good even though 6.0 is right around the corner), listen to some music, paint a picture, shoot some photographs, calculate something interesting, think about god and the stars etc. etc. there are so many interesting things to do instead of just wasting time waiting on 6.0.

And to address ETA shortly: While I do sometimes wish that there'd be ETAs just for the sake of better organization (e.g. not bothering to fine tune presets when you know that a major firmware will be released the following day), I also see the downsides to this concept, namely the additional pressure on the whole FAS team.

Cliff has been working his a** off consecutively for the last 8 years or so... no need to make matters even more difficult by adding "estimated" deadlines.

Last edited:
Sorry, I have an equally strong IMHO disgreement that ETA = suicide. I've been involved with massive software releases, have gathered detailed feedback from end-users, and have been involved in release decisions that have impacted millions of users. While there are definitely pros and cons each way (ETA versus release-as-soon-as-ready), in most cases users preferred the ETA approach.

I'm not asking Fractal to change their approach, but it may be something to look at in the future. There are many benefits to a carefully managed ETA approach.
There is a managed approach. Its called "you'll get it when its done" :) I'm just messing with you.

While I'm sure that your experience is more than valid, Cliff has tried it several times in the past since I've been here and just about every time its turned into a frickin' nasty mess. And with your experience I'm sure that you know what happens if heaven forbid you don't meet a suspense or ETA. It doesn't go over too well. I like to think that its just a matter of the whole process being fairly fluid. I mean a lot of this isn't specific bug fixes or a "well this piece of code will fix this problem exactly because I get 1+1=2" its about making something that simulates tones that allows people to create music. A lot of subjective stuff goes on in there. I mean if something doesn't 'feel right' or is 'too bassy' or 'too muddy' or fizzy, etc...I mean its not a cut and dry thing here. Plus you probably know far too well that you fix one thing and it break 5 others. I'm sure that he's done this enough times to know that he needs to account for the unforeseen stuff.

But to get back on point here; I too haven't been making any new patches for a while. I've never been the busy little patch creating bee to begin with, but I'm really not interested in creating perfection only to have to re-accomplish it from scratch. So I've been wasting my time with just playing the damn thing. :)

mikeleuz said:
By any chance have you ever had dozens of strangers question your integrity, competency, or parenthood on a public Internet discussion board when you slipped a release date? The only way to avoid that is to put so much slop in the timeline that the difference between the nominal schedule and the quoted one makes "soon" seem specific in comparison.

You might not believe my statement about the backlash on schedule slips but you registered after people went berserk when Axe 2 production schedules slipped. Also bear in mind that most of the customer base has never been involved with a system rollout so they don't understand how many things can go wrong in the course of development.

By any chance have you ever had dozens of strangers question your integrity, competency, or parenthood on a public Internet discussion board when you slipped a release date? ....

A) Have I? More than you can possibly imagine.
B) Whether dozens of strangers, or millions of strangers, you grow a thick skin quickly. It hits a lot harder personally when the questioning is from close friends/coworkers/confidants.

You might not believe my statement about the backlash on schedule slips but you registered after people went berserk when Axe 2 production schedules slipped. Also bear in mind that most of the customer base has never been involved with a system rollout so they don't understand how many things can go wrong in the course of development.

Very true, I'm fairly new to the Fractal community and not aware of the outrages over earlier missed ETA's. But maybe there were lessons to be learned that didn't have to result in abandoning ETA's altogether. I wonder this - although Axe-Fx users have expressed "outrage" over missed ETA's, how much did it affect future Fractal-related purchases? And then, how much does an irregular and unpredictable release affect future Fractal-related purchases? Personally, I know of several local guitarists that are avoiding the Axe-Fx because of the time involved in tweaking patches. I know this because I'm absolutely an Axe-Fx fan and evangelize it as much as possible, and thus I hear the objections (from personal conversations face-to-face, not random internet strangers just looking for an argument). More to the point, I've had more than one local guitarists ask me about firmware updates and how patches are affected, due to their previous experience with other modelers. Although I can give them my strong opinion that the Axe-Fx is the best modeler I have ever used, I can't give them my opinion that Axe-Fx has managed to avoid the irregular/unpredictable firmware-release-that-also-affects-current-patches issue.

Perhaps 7.00 will include a virtualized OS environment that allows you to run previous firmware iterations side-by-side with the latest firmware. Or virtualized patches similar to application virtualization. ;)

Honestly, this isn't THAT big of a deal to me personally. I only got involved in the thread to add some detail to what I felt others were already trying to express. As many have said, we'd all be better off playing guitar more and reading/replying to forums less. :D

Back
Top Bottom