Cliff I have a Question regarding your recent post on TGP

Business...$$$$

Why is Cliff often posting new stuff on TGP instead of here?

merlin17,

With all due respect to Cliff and his amazing product-line, work-ethic in support, knowledge, etc, he already has our money, and we're generally happy customers! (NOTE: NO ONE one can make everyone happy! I for one am extremely pleased/psyched about the power and the quality of my Axe-FX II!) Besides Cliff's genuine love off all things Fractal Audio Systems from an "audio-performance" perspective, Cliff is also a businessman who is interested in making a profit (as he should be!) At this point, PLEASE...DO NOT take that last statement as a criticism!!! It is not. It is merely an obvious fact about most/all successful, hardworking, driven businessmen/business-owners. It is obvious that Cliff loves what he does and the products he makes. I'm sure he is proud of his accomplishments up to this point, and (luckily for us) he seems to remain super-driven to push the limits/boundaries of what is posssible in our Axe-FX II's, and we are SO FORTUNATE to have a pioneer like Cliff as our "fearless-leader" in charge at Fractal Audio Systems!!! He is brilliant. He's a tireless worker, and he and his excellent staff, the beta-testers...as well as some of the contributing Fractal-Forum Members themselves, ("us" - lol!) all contribute to some degree I suppose...

By posting over at TGP, Cliff has the opportunity to reach out (or atleast pique the interest of) lots of potential/future Axe-FX purchasers/owners! Besides that, lots of our regular F.A.S. forum-members post over at TGP I've noticed. In addition to all that I've cited already, there is also the reality that once in a while, some "misinformation" starts to circulate on TGP, (sometimes here on the Fractal Forums too - LOL!) I wonder if Cliff sometimes just feels compelled to "set the record straight" regarding (for example) "future firmware-content speculation" (6.00....the "p-word"....etc!) or as someone else alluded to already here in this thread, perhaps Cliff just needs a little break from the intense pressure/scrutiny which seems to accompany the "head-honcho-ism" that goes along with contributing ONLY on these (F.A.S.) forums? BTW, I think Jay Mitchell is a frequent TGP contributor, (Yeah, yeah, I know he is no longer a Fractal Forum member!) but TGP is probably a good place (lots of views/members) to get one's ideas out to the "masses." I.E. Jay Mitchell's/Atomic's CLR FRFR-Monitor product-threads over at TGP.

Who knows...Maybe Cliff is sick of idiots like me speaking...err..."speculating" on his behalf - LOL! ...FTL...My bad!!!

Bill

I didn't mean to criticise Cliff at all, it was just a question. I don't want to hang out too much on other forums but still want to be informed quickly. So for me HERE's the first place to look for information.

From what I've seen, Cliff haunts a number of boards. I suspect it's more of an addiction issue...(we LOVES to talk us some gear)...that has a functional aspect. Keeping up on various opinions, garnering suggestions, getting a better idea of what will benefit the market. You will get more 'raw' (honest?) feedback on a board that doesn't have 'Fractal Audio' in the URL.

As far as the 'why not here, but on TGP' issue, I think I'd rather that Cliff concentrate on what's in front of him regarding products than spend any time worrying about whether he's 'kept everybody up to date'.

I have to be honest when I say that I find it 'jest a tad creeeepy' that we have 'Cliff posts' bookmarked on multiple boards. This newfangled interweb thing...ack.

Ron

Cliff posts all over. Don't feel like he is ignoring you; he's just a guy that hangs on forums a bit here and there too. Just like me, and most of you.

FWIW - I've been telling you, 6.0 is going to be worth the wait. Now you are getting some ideas of why.

And no, the cab isn't 'baked in' with the amp; they are separate. You still have the power of everything the Axe-FX II offers at your disposal. I flat out have noted in some of my comments to the beta team that the modeling in 6.0 is the best tones I've ever had in my life - and I've owned an extensive list of boutique tube amps. I have recordings that I've always used as A/B tests for my own tones over the years; and was excited to use the Tone Match to nail them... till I realized (no BS here either) that what I was dialing (with almost nothing but drive/T/M/B/P/MV) was better - IMHO - than what I ever had in the past. There was zero need, IMHO, to even pursue Tone Match on my main tones at all. (**Though I did test it and it is impressive). I ended up just rolling with 'straight' modeling... because it is that good.
Thanks Scott this sounds great

However I have a couple of questions
1) will exisiting presets need a lot of reworking. I use Bogner cleans and Fender twins. Marshall JVm and Friedman BE for crunch. Friedman and Cameron leads and Buttery for extremelly creamy crunch!!
2) are you touching the advanced parameters much

Thanks
James

Thanks Scott this sounds great

However I have a couple of questions
1) will exisiting presets need a lot of reworking. I use Bogner cleans and Fender twins. Marshall JVm and Friedman BE for crunch. Friedman and Cameron leads and Buttery for extremelly creamy crunch!!
2) are you touching the advanced parameters much

Thanks
James

1) Yes. Reset the block, adjust drive/T/M/B/P/Master Volume. Done.
2) No. Unless you want to, but there just is no need to other than customizing now. Not needed to 'dial' it in though, IMHO.

... till I realized (no BS here either) that what I was dialing (with almost nothing but drive/T/M/B/P/MV) was better - IMHO - than what I ever had in the past. There was zero need, IMHO, to even pursue Tone Match on my main tones at all. (**Though I did test it and it is impressive). I ended up just rolling with 'straight' modeling... because it is that good.

That was my experience with profiling. I profiled some amps I've had for 10 - 30 years and after critically listening during the process I'd think "I can dial that in on the Axe". 2 to 3 minutes with the Axe and I was getting better tones than my 'ideals' from the past. Since I've had the Axe I've never gone back and studied the tone I used in the past and compared that with what I do with the Axe. I didn't realize how far I've come with the Axe.

What interests me in 'Tone Matching' is creating a starting point for Axe-style tone development/tweaking by matching amps (Bad Cat Black Cat, Vox AC-15 Heritage AC15H1TV) that are close but not quite in the Axe and going from there. I also need to shot an IR of the Austin Speaker Works KTS-70 and that Vox Blue with the Vox AC-15 Heritage cabinet.

Looks like fun days coming.

I have to be honest when I say that I find it 'jest a tad creeeepy' that we have 'Cliff posts' bookmarked on multiple boards. This newfangled interweb thing...ack.

It's a time management thing. I can't keep up with every thread on these boards & Cliff has a tendency to do just what he did on TGP - pop into some random thread & drop some juicy tidbit of info. With the limited time I have for forum browsing, I like to start with the FAS guys.

And no, the cab isn't 'baked in' with the amp; they are separate. You still have the power of everything the Axe-FX II offers at your disposal. I flat out have noted in some of my comments to the beta team that the modeling in 6.0 is the best tones I've ever had in my life - and I've owned an extensive list of boutique tube amps. I have recordings that I've always used as A/B tests for my own tones over the years; and was excited to use the Tone Match to nail them... till I realized (no BS here either) that what I was dialing (with almost nothing but drive/T/M/B/P/MV) was better - IMHO - than what I ever had in the past. There was zero need, IMHO, to even pursue Tone Match on my main tones at all. (**Though I did test it and it is impressive). I ended up just rolling with 'straight' modeling... because it is that good.

Scott - This is most excellent news! Do you believe it is because of Cliff's extensive work at overlaying new *audio* profiles into the existing AFX amp models?

I didn't mean to criticise Cliff at all, it was just a question. I don't want to hang out too much on other forums but still want to be informed quickly. So for me HERE's the first place to look for information.
So,.... You are not so much interested in stalking him. You just want to get the most direct line on the info, hmmm?

Case in point: I had stopped reading the V6 Beta thread, but when I checked to see if Cliff had posted anything today I got the update.

Now, back to waiting....

Back
Top Bottom