Cliff I have a Question regarding your recent post on TGP

willowdale

Fractal Fanatic
"All the Bogners have been totally redone, sorry LOL. Almost every amp model has been "matched" to its real-life counterpart. This was an exhausting, pain-staking, ordeal that involved matching the gain and tone-control response and then doing a distortion and EQ match and saving all that data into the model"
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=12876960#post12876960

This is exciting stuff dude!

Are we going to have an easier time pairing these amps with an appropriate cab? Did you take the cab into consideration when you redid all these amps? Are you going to release the IR of the cab/cabs you use for these amps?

I'm asking because I know the cab is such an important part of the overall sound.

Bring it on!!

Last edited:
merlin17 said:
Why is Cliff often posting new stuff on TGP instead of here?

He probably needs a break from this place every once and a while... Maybe he happened on a thread and figured he would just answer off the cuff because it was pertinent to the topic?

Cliff posts all over. Don't feel like he is ignoring you; he's just a guy that hangs on forums a bit here and there too. Just like me, and most of you.

FWIW - I've been telling you, 6.0 is going to be worth the wait. Now you are getting some ideas of why.

And no, the cab isn't 'baked in' with the amp; they are separate. You still have the power of everything the Axe-FX II offers at your disposal. I flat out have noted in some of my comments to the beta team that the modeling in 6.0 is the best tones I've ever had in my life - and I've owned an extensive list of boutique tube amps. I have recordings that I've always used as A/B tests for my own tones over the years; and was excited to use the Tone Match to nail them... till I realized (no BS here either) that what I was dialing (with almost nothing but drive/T/M/B/P/MV) was better - IMHO - than what I ever had in the past. There was zero need, IMHO, to even pursue Tone Match on my main tones at all. (**Though I did test it and it is impressive). I ended up just rolling with 'straight' modeling... because it is that good.

^ I'm excited to try this for myself, but I trust your ears with this stuff so I can't wait!!

Although the cabs are not baked in, Cliff must use a cab or cabs with these amps when he matches and/or auditions them.

So my question is has Cliff done an awesome IR capture of this cab or cabs that he auditions these amps with, and will we get it or them with 6.0

I don't see why not, and I'm sure everyone would want the option of hearing the amps thru the cab/cabs that Cliff hears them thru.

^ I'm excited to try this for myself, but I trust your ears with this stuff so I can't wait!!

Although the cabs are not baked in, Cliff must use a cab or cabs with these amps when he matches and/or auditions them.

So my question is has Cliff done an awesome IR capture of this cab or cabs that he auditions these amps with, and will we get it or them with 6.0

I don't see why not, and I'm sure everyone would want the option of hearing the amps thru the cab/cabs that Cliff hears them thru.

You are missing the point.

You don't use the cab IR's when you use a cab with the Axe-FX.

You do use the cab IR's when you use FRFR with the Axe-FX.

You are mixing one methodology with another; this is Fractal's methodology... not another.

I use FRFR, I get the whole concept.

Will Cliff capture the IR of the cab/cabs he uses so we can have it is all I'm asking.

"All the Bogners have been totally redone, sorry LOL. Almost every amp model has been "matched" to its real-life counterpart. This was an exhausting, pain-staking, ordeal that involved matching the gain and tone-control response and then doing a distortion and EQ match and saving all that data into the model"
(Cliff Chase)

This is truly exciting and a brand new chapter for the AFX II - I predict the 'fun meter' is going to *peg* when this update hits the streets! Thank you Cliff and team for all of your hard work and insight to make this 'dream' a reality! We know you won't release it until you feel it is ready - just know that many people are looking forward to this *major update* of the AFX II. :)

PS: I like the fact that Cliff also posts on other boards - I believe it raises the level of awareness & profile of the mighty AFX :)

~Hadley~

Last edited:
Cliff posts all over. Don't feel like he is ignoring you; he's just a guy that hangs on forums a bit here and there too. Just like me, and most of you.

FWIW - I've been telling you, 6.0 is going to be worth the wait. Now you are getting some ideas of why.

And no, the cab isn't 'baked in' with the amp; they are separate. You still have the power of everything the Axe-FX II offers at your disposal. I flat out have noted in some of my comments to the beta team that the modeling in 6.0 is the best tones I've ever had in my life - and I've owned an extensive list of boutique tube amps. I have recordings that I've always used as A/B tests for my own tones over the years; and was excited to use the Tone Match to nail them... till I realized (no BS here either) that what I was dialing (with almost nothing but drive/T/M/B/P/MV) was better - IMHO - than what I ever had in the past. There was zero need, IMHO, to even pursue Tone Match on my main tones at all. (**Though I did test it and it is impressive). I ended up just rolling with 'straight' modeling... because it is that good.

Sounds exciting.
Any general idea on ETA?

yes, soon. Or maybe a little bit sooner than that, but it is soon. You´ll see, sooner or later... most likely later which sounds contrary to what been said earlier. But all you need to know is just four letters: s, o, o, n...

*arrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhh... why oh why can´t soon be just now?!*
*falls back into meditation position... waiting... waiting...*

:ugeek

/Mike

Exciting times for all of us. When I had the Ultra,I was always happy about firmware updates .When I bought the two I sort of guessed the potential of the unit! This blows away all imagination,6.0 is just going to be phenomenal. I really knew that I made the right choice about my Axe FxII. Exciting times and plenty more to come Axe FxII owners! Thank you Cliff for everything in advance :)

... till I realized (no BS here either) that what I was dialing (with almost nothing but drive/T/M/B/P/MV) was better - IMHO - than what I ever had in the past. There was zero need, IMHO, to even pursue Tone Match on my main tones at all.

Good ... this is what I wanted to hear more than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom