Cliff, Get rid of some factory cabs to free up space!!

Do you want to remove some factory cabs?

• Yes, I'm tired of this debate

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • No, I want to go on flaming this war between brothers

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
The proposal to decrease Factory Cabs to free up boot rom was made by unify forum members, I`m sure Cliff did`nt overlooked that. As long he did not chime in to give a statement on this, a further discussion is like riding a dead horse, IMO

Beyond this i wish at least for future devices, cab data would be handled like presets: factory cabs will be stored like presets are, exclusive on a flash memory location, user can override for themself, if wanted. Since the MK1/MK2, even mor for the AX8 and XL/XL+ there are enough space for, what nowdays is called "user cabs". we even do not differ between "Factory Presets" and "User Presets", although you can grab Presets, made by FAS from the download page and/or the internal backup places from the Axe II. I wish this paradigm for the pre-loaded presets will be also seen for cabs in the future, "factory cabs" as download and pre-installed, but no more difference in handling "factory" and "user" - as it is with presets.

It may not be that painful to scroll every time through 130+ slots, till you reach your user cabs or the cab location you prefer. But the freedom of self arrangement, where and which cabs are locally on the machine and on which slot should be as cofortable like it is with the preset handling.

Just a suggestion to think about for the future...

I don't think he was referring to this post, I think cliff was talking about the XL by saying it can host thousands of amps

Exactly right. If the Axe Fx can hold more amps then it has now, then that tells us that removing amps won't give us more space in the boot rom. I was speculating that removing cabs or effects would also not give us more space in the boot rom. It was just my guess that's all.

Exactly right. If the Axe Fx can hold more amps then it has now, then that tells us that removing amps won't give us more space in the boot rom. I was speculating that removing cabs or effects would also not give us more space in the boot rom. It was just my guess that's all.
That statement is ambiguous indeed, we don't know if he meant every model of the axe can contain thousands of amps or if he meant just the xl and the marks are approaching the limit. Considering true just one of the two interpretations is just speculation and that's why I said only Cliff (or someone else from Fas) can say if this idea is good or not.
Going on with speculation, in the post below he was pointing at the Fw file dimensions to let us see where he introduced the compression and that we're approaching the limit again, so if what matters is the size of that file reducing factory cabs is a good method to do it.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...-4-01-public-beta.119924/page-30#post-1427733

Last edited:
I don't believe Cabs are even a candidate with the ROM issue,or Amps, effects or blocks. The code is the thing that's filling the Boot ROM . These polls are a waste of time and energy to my opinion. Too much speculation, drama, etc! "We don't know" is correct! lets kill these speculation threads and let Cliff do his work! He's the only one who knows, we just have to wait and see.

Did Cliff every even confirm that shrinking number of factory cabs would free up space for more FW? Up until literally 2 month inwas using a std res stock ir. Only changed it for no other reason than experimenting. Folks should stop assuming no one uses std red any more

What about if he just removes all the long reverbs?

The Large Hall, Large Plate and Cathedral are HUGE. That should save tons of space!

What you did is just started another thread of the same kind, but now it's "Cliff, remove cabs"
You really hoped to end this discussion with such thread? Funny.

Reactions: RDH
What about if he just removes all the long reverbs?

The Large Hall, Large Plate and Cathedral are HUGE. That should save tons of space!
I don't think the lenght of reverb is proportional to the lenght of their code, it's the complexity of the algo. And anyway, reverbs can't be loaded in user slots after they're removed ;)
A preset file is 7kb a cab is 11kb add them up , not much space required!
I don't get what you mean in this reply
What you did is just started another thread of the same kind, but now it's "Cliff, remove cabs"
You really hoped to end this discussion with such thread? Funny.
I hoped to end that discussion by proposing an alternative and better solution (if it's doable).
But I'm now realizing that maybe it's impossible to end any discussion when most people feel the urge to join it without even understanding what's being talked about

Last edited:
I can understand that the customers would request something be done to extend the 'upgrade life' of the product, but for customers to go into such specifics on a product like this is just....

I can understand that the customers would request something be done to extend the 'upgrade life' of the product, but for customers to go into such specifics on a product like this is just....
... legit, then it's up to Cliff the will to undisclose those details or not

Back
Top Bottom