Cliff, Get rid of some factory cabs to free up space!!

Do you want to remove some factory cabs?

• Yes, I'm tired of this debate

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • No, I want to go on flaming this war between brothers

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
So, since I (and a few others like Morphosis) already wrote it several times in the other two threads but most users probably did not care to read or simply want to continue this stupid war between who wants the modeling version and who doesn't, I will write this here with the hope that these users will stop by for a moment and reflect on this:

The modeling version option was introduced in Fw Quantum 2.03 along with the new Friedman models, if we take a look at that firmware file size we can see it's 2.736.270 bytes.
The previous release Q2.02 was 2.723.840 bytes.
The difference is exactly 12.555 Bytes and is about the space that at best will free up by removing that option.

Now I ask you all: how many further updates do you hope to gain with 12KB more? I think they'll be a couple in the best case.

So now let's look at the size of a cab syx file: it is 10.904 bytes, almost the same space that needs the modeling version option!
Just by removing a single factory cab Cliff could free up the same space for the firmware, if he chooses to remove e.g. 30 of them there would be 327.120 more free bytes for updates!

So, I understand that realizing we'll probably have to spill other money if we want to maintain our fw-drug addiction is not a good news, but do you now agree with me that the discussion going on these days is totally pointless? Here's a better alternative that could be implemented in several different ways (getting rid of old cabs, or the last 32 cabs, ot cabs that are unused in the factory presets, or non-ultrares cabs, etc.) which won't affect the XL users.
And we will always be able to use those cabs by simply uploading them in the user cab slots.

p.s.: I'm not Cliff and I surely don't want to take his place for this kind of decisions, and after all he's the one who knows if this solution is doable and the effective space that would free up.
Anyway, I'll be happy even if he decides to not update Mark I/II anymore because the Axe Fx is already great sounding and the support he has given to this product is astounding and has no peers on the market.
You'd better be happy too you ungrateful whinies! :p

p.p.s.: I chose that title just to have your attention not to praise for having implemented what I suggest.
I just like to be provocative sometimes, no offense.

Peace! ;-)

Last edited:
I just want all the factory cabs to be UltraRes. It's been the standard for... years? Why are there still low-res cabs? While they sound good, they don't sound good compared to similar UltraRes cabs. It's my main/only complaint about how the allocation is used.

What makes you think the factory cabs are stored on the boot rom?..
The fact that they're baked into the firmware file, whenever a factory cab has been changed it has always happened with a firmware update.. Obviously we're not sure if during the installation different parts of that file are allocated in different memories but this seems unlikely to me.
As I said only Cliff knows this and don't want to substitute him in his decision, it's just an idea that can be good or wrong

The fact that they're baked into the firmware file, whenever a factory cab has been changed it has always happened with a firmware update.. Obviously we're not sure if during the installation different parts of that file are allocated in different memories but this seems unlikely to me.
As I said only Cliff knows this and don't want to substitute him in his decision, it's just an idea that can be good or wrong
The factory cabs are stored on its own flash rom separate from the rest of the user banks iirc (people were asking if we could remove factory cabs and use the slots for user cabs and cliff made that point). Just because that memory can be updated by fw doesn't mean that ALL the cabs are bogging down the algorithm for EVERY update.

The factory cabs are stored on its own flash rom separate from the rest of the user banks iirc (people were asking if we could remove factory cabs and use the slots for user cabs and cliff made that point). Just because that memory can be updated by fw doesn't mean that ALL the cabs are bogging down the algorithm for EVERY update.
Do you have a link to this discussion? Because the case you're talking about seems referred to a different issue to me, we already know for sure that user and factory cabs are stored in two different memories, in fact user cabs don't get erased when you load a new firmware and vice-versa. But this doesn't mean that firmware and factory cabs are stored in different memories too

I don't think taking cabs out is going to solve this issue. Cliff already said taking out amps won't fix it, there is no reasons to think that removing cabs or even effect blocks will have any effect on the boot rom. Just thinking of the name BOOT tells us that it is used for the start up routine. I can't say for sure of course but if I were a betting man, I would bet that cabs/amps/effects have almost nothing to do with a Boot sequence.

Where did you read this? I searched in last Cliff's posts and he didn't say this, unless you had a private conversation with him ;)

It's in the beta thread somewhere, I can't tell you what page it's on but go have a look I'm not the only one who has quoted it.

Back
Top Bottom