Cleanish to solo

andyp13

Power User
Could someone explain this as I don't understand, I am looking to minimise the volume jump between light crunch to full on solo.

'I went messing around with a few others that I normally use AC30TB, JCM 800 and noticed the volume difference was somewhat the same only the fundamental tone was the difference. You might try adding a compressor to the front end of the signal chain and attach an ADSR mod to it (Mix and Level), set the values so it adds some slight compression mix and lowers the level mix at full guitar volume to curb the volume jump'.

ADSR stands for Attack/Decay/Sustain/Release. It's one of the modifiers you can attach to parameters in the Axe-Fx. Essentially, it applies more or less change to a parameter, based on how loud the signal from your guitar is. Search for "ADSR" in the manual for more details.

The stuff you quoted above suggests that you try putting a compressor in your preset and using ADSR to get more compression when you hit your strings harder. It's one of several ways to skin this particular cat.

What to you do to get your solo sound? kick in a drive block, switch between two amps (A/B) - stick a boost in front?

Personally, I use a filter straight after the amp block, which is flat but has a db reduction. Its linked to the same IA as the drive block so as the block comes in, and the amps volume goes up -0 the filter lowers the volume again but keeps the tone the same.

I use a drive lock at the mo because I have not as yet got an amp to do what I want, go from cleanish to solo sound without a big volume difference.

There are a lot of ways to do this, here's one way. I use 3 scenes, clean (1), crunch (2) and lead (3).

Here is a patch you can try, if you have an Axe-FX ll. Also here are some screen shots of what I did in Axe edit. If this works for you, I can explain in more detail.

I use Scene Controller 1 to turn up the amp drive while simultaneously using Scene Controller 2 to turn down the amp level. I also set up a slight delay so that the scenes morph the amp levels from one to another (you can set this to be immediate by dropping the damping value to minimum).

View attachment 26225

View attachment 26228
View attachment 26226
View attachment 26227

Wow, thank you so much for this, I will give this a go and get back to you, I do use scenes (though not like this) I can get a good cleanish to full solo using my Strat with EMGs and a mid boost along with a humbucker (bridge)... I use the 808 drive block with the gain very nearly off. When I'm on single coil with the volume backed off its cleanish with the humbucker on and the mid boost on (it's on a rotary where the back tone pot was) it is big and fat... But the volume difference is quite big.
I would like to get this from an amp without using a drive block but I just can't.

Back
Top Bottom