Clean guitar with strings controlled by expression pedal

jonah

Inspired
Guys, have anyone come up with a clean sound, with some sort of string (violin, synth) sound in the background, controlled by an expression pedal.

I'm going to play and sing a song for a wedding, and need help with this.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!
- jonah

Jonah. I do this quite a lot, with a variety of clean sounds: piezo pickup through a graphic EQ is my favourite for acoustic simulation. Single coils through a clean AC30 or Mesa, plus the EQ, also works well. Like all patches, you'll have to work out the EQ setting which suits your guitar and amp and speakers. For acoustic songs I like a U-shaped graphic.

For the string sounds I always use a GR-33 synth, driven from the piezos. A GR-2 hex pickup also works, but you have to be more careful with the tracking. The GR-33 has a couple of string pads with long rise and decay times which float happily in the background. I use three expression pedals, one for synth volume, the second fades in the same synth sound one octave up. This is often more effective than raising the volume at "poignant" moments. The third pedal controls guitar volume because, if you are playing without a sound man, then you may need to adjust the volume without stopping playing.

One other trick is to use a 4dB mid boost which you can kick in for added punch in the chorus, or if the audience starts singing along.

bear in mind, the axe fx synth is monophonic, so although it can produce some really nice string sounds, you won't be able to play chords.

however, you can get some nice paddy stuff using the pitch shifters or the crystal echoes though. you'd just need to run the pad stuff in a sidechain and attach a control pedal to the input of the first block in the chain, so you can bring it in and out as needed.

+1 on the pitchshifter in a side chain. MultiDelay is also an option, and a filter to alter the tone so it sounds less guitar like.

Jens

Guys!
Thanks for the replies, I will try and see what I can come up with!

Cheers!
- jonah

Check the Piezo and Shimmer/Bad presets in my collection, create a combination.

Back
Top Bottom