Classic br00talz trick fails on me...=(

javajunkie said:
My guess is you are probably not into modern or death metal
You'd be right. Metallica, Dimebag and Zakk Wylde are as brootal as I care to listen to but beyond that I don't really hear any difference. :|

Stringtheorist said:
javajunkie said:
You'd be right. Metallica, Dimebag and Zakk Wylde are as brootal as I care to listen to but beyond that I don't really hear any difference. :|

Oh neither of those are in the territory Im thinking about..try it out and youll see what I mean =)

It's not about the distortion from the pedal, it's boosting the in and adding its stamp which is kinda mid heavy, tightening up the sound and still making it grow balls in a way you've never seen before =)

Another thing; which TS models (in real life) work for this approach? I tried the TS9, which was all the store had, and it didnt work at all. Is it only 808?

danielodland said:
Another thing; which TS models (in real life) work for this approach? I tried the TS9, which was all the store had, and it didnt work at all. Is it only 808?
Most of the people say that you need one of those big-$$$ vintage whatever jc123198391872 chip thingys and everything else sucks, so I took the opposite route and bought the cheapest green little box that I could get: A Digitech Bad Monkey. It's a TS clone and sounds to me as bad as any TS.

RiF said:
danielodland said:
Most of the people say that you need one of those big-$$$ vintage whatever jc123198391872 chip thingys and everything else sucks, so I took the opposite route and bought the cheapest green little box that I could get: A Digitech Bad Monkey. It's a TS clone and sounds to me as bad as any TS.

That is a reply for the books, man.

I made a short clip showing my first Engl Powerball (ENERGYBALL)-based patch where I have the drive block (T808 MOD) switched on in the first half and off in the second half of the clip, so you can hear how it tightens up the low-end but does not do very much harm to the original amp sound like a real pedal would do.
I just came up with a riff for this, so don't expect anything very exciting...
The clip's here:http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=4475
I attached the patch to this post (ZIPed as usual, as .syx files are not allowed).

Attachments

• 087 - RiF Engl A.zip
    423 bytes · Views: 13
RiF said:
danielodland said:
That is a reply for the books, man.
Hmmm... sorry that I have not been of very much help, but you can head over the Andy Sneap forum at ultimatemetal.com. The dudes over there talk about all kinds of Tube Screamers and which of them sounds the best in front of their Rectos and 5150s all day. There's even a sticky Tube Screamer FAQ thread.

Thanks for tip man! I still want to know what the boys here think, though. Also, that comment wasnt meant as anything else than a sarcastic joke. No harm intended.

danielodland said:
Also, that comment wasnt meant as anything else than a sarcastic joke. No harm intended.
I knew and I smiled, because I like sarcastic jokes as my own post had some sarcasm as well :twisted:

actually read the entire post about Tubescreamers on the Sneap forum lol. What's funny is they recommend using it as a tone conditioner with gain on zero and no signal boost at all? I never heard about that i thought you were always recommended to crank the level all the way up and slam the amp. Actually the OP of that thread says that's an awful idea lol

rsf1977 said:
actually read the entire post about Tubescreamers on the Sneap forum lol. What's funny is they recommend using it as a tone conditioner with gain on zero and no signal boost at all? I never heard about that i thought you were always recommended to crank the level all the way up and slam the amp. Actually the OP of that thread says that's an awful idea lol

I guess they just using it as a highpass filter.

RiF said:
javajunkie said:
Maybe. I am thinking about Devildriver/Unearth/Machine Head type of tones here.

My comment was in response to stringtheorist. I actully use that trick or FET boost along with a null filter at the end of the change for a solo boost.

AlbertA said:
rsf1977 said:

I guess they just using it as a highpass filter.

actually the OP of that thread discusses the benefits of both a high pass and a low pass along with some compression. Is anyone running a TS808 drive block at unity gain in this way on the axe?

rsf1977 said:
actually the OP of that thread discusses the benefits of both a high pass and a low pass along with some compression. Is anyone running a TS808 drive block at unity gain in this way on the axe?
Yes, me. At least I try to, but sometimes I end up with a little additional gain boost from the drive block (not distortion, just gain). This is not intended in the first place but it happens. Usually I use the drive block for low-cut and bass and low-mid tightening. Since 8.02 I find myself setting the drive to about 2.0 instead of 0.0 on FW 7.x. I try to set the level to unity gain. The clip I posted in this thread is made to show this.

javajunkie said:
RiF said:
javajunkie said:
Maybe. I am thinking about Devildriver/Unearth/Machine Head type of tones here.

My comment was in response to stringtheorist. I actully use that trick or FET boost along with a null filter at the end of the change for a solo boost.
I knew, it should read "Maybe (he's not into modern or death metal). I am thinking about..."

RiF said:
rsf1977 said:
Yes, me. At least I try to, but sometimes I end up with a little additional gain boost from the drive block (not distortion, just gain). This is not intended in the first place but it happens. Usually I use the drive block for low-cut and bass and low-mid tightening. Since 8.02 I find myself setting the drive to about 2.0 instead of 0.0 on FW 7.x. I try to set the level to unity gain. The clip I posted in this thread is made to show this.

I'm going to try this approach out, but i think I'll wait for 8.03 before I really get into this. I'm a little confused by the current Drive and Output control settings that got adjusted in 8.02.

Also a very cool article that discusses how the Tube Screamer actually works and what it does at each stage of it's signal shaping.
Tube Screamer Secrets Revealed: http://www.bteaudio.com/articles/TSS/TSS.html

danielodland:

The "Classic br00talz trick" will now work as expected with the latest firmware release (8.05). Cliff changed the drive controls on these drive models so that 0.00 is the same as 0 on the real thing:

-SUPER OD
-TS808 OD
-TS808 MOD
-FULL OD
-SHRED DIST
-BENDER FUZZ

Back
Top Bottom