CK's IRs compared to the new OH HGE package

Brock

Experienced
I'd like to hear people's opinions of how Clark Kent's IRs compare to the new OwnHammer High Gain Essentials. Sound samples would be awesome too - maybe just amp and cab (obviously keeping the amp settings the same). Thanks!

To me, the CK IRs were always too bright or missing a little something on the low end. Don't get me wrong, they sounded great, just not what I was looking for.

The OH HGE are great right after downloading. Add to that the ability to mix them and to me, they are the clear winner.

Sent from Moto X

I haven't purchased any new irs since the Ownhammer vintage and modern mixes came out, but I've got money in hand waiting for Fractals next trip to the studio with that 5153 Cab that Cliff mentioned.

Hey Cliff, any idea on when you'll be heading back to the studio?

I haven't purchased any new irs since the Ownhammer vintage and modern mixes came out, but I've got money in hand waiting for Fractals next trip to the studio with that 5153 Cab that Cliff mentioned.

Hey Cliff, any idea on when you'll be heading back to the studio?

We are scheduled for May 19 and 20.

We have the following cabs:
Original Recto 4x12 Oversize
New Recto 4x12 "Standard"
EVH 5153
Orange PPC412
Marshall 1960TV
Probably a Mills 4x12
Might lug that Dumble 4x12 down there too.

EVH 5153
Orange PPC412
Marshall 1960TV
Probably a Mills 4x12

Awesome. I hope you guys include some more mixed IRs as it can be quite and art and I am happy to pay for an engineers perspective on mic blending and placement.

Nice! Lots of good stuff there Cliff. I had a Mills and tried to do an IR capture, but I don't think I could really crank it loud enough in my apartment to do it justice. I know it shouldn't matter much, but I think the low volume didn't seem to fill the frequency range the way it would have if I was able to feed it a louder signal for the sweep. My IR's had some of the character of the cab, but really lacked the depth.

That said, I really like the Ownhammer HGE stuff for the kind of sounds that I'm most picky about. They have a fullness and clarity that I've never quite heard from others before. I know lots of people have posted that they only picked up the EN version of those cabs and are talking them up, but in generally I really prefer the CH versions on most of them. No real preference between 16 Ohm and 8 Ohm. They sound different but both sound great. (This is not to say I don't like the EN versions, just that they don't sound as aggressive and cutting to me. Others may like them better just for that reason.) The main thing I'm short on now is experimentation time, so once school lets out and I only have to worry about my 40-hour work week I'll really dig into them more.

[...]

Cliff,

may I ask you to consider an additional microphone position for the IR shooting?

At German Axe-Fest, we had an Audio Technica AT2035 at the REAR corner of the Cab - according to How To Mike A Marshall In The Studio c1985 | Elliott Randall - see the picture attached. We were amazed how much "In the Room"-Feel was captured in this way, especially when you mix this Rear-Corner-IR.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the new quality IRs. Thank you in advance.

6LtD5yO.jpg

Best regards
Friedlieb

Attachments

• Vox AC30 Blue mic_positions PIC09.jpg
    Vox AC30 Blue mic_positions PIC09.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 79

EVH 5153
Orange PPC412
Marshall 1960TV
Probably a Mills 4x12

Erection present and correct.

I'd like to hear people's opinions of how Clark Kent's IRs compare to the new OwnHammer High Gain Essentials. Sound samples would be awesome too - maybe just amp and cab (obviously keeping the amp settings the same). Thanks!
Could you point at any specific CK IR you want to be compared?
CK ir's are great, but for some reason i never used them for high gain in my studio.

Could you point at any specific CK IR you want to be compared?
CK ir's are great, but for some reason i never used them for high gain in my studio.
I mostly use the ZERO Dollar UR IR (for crunch and higher gain sounds).

CK's IRs are great and OHs too, no need to compare them because they will serve a purpose when mixing arrives.

We Guitar players are a bit selfish, well maybe a lot. We care for our tone and our tone only, but its all about how well you project in the mix, IRs serve as instante tone shapers that will yield a good or bad guitar tone in the mix, and a bad guitar tone is that one that those not fit well with the overall mix.

If you take CK's Zero Dollar IR for example it sound very very different from any of the OH IRs, not just this las HG collection.

Cliff,

may I ask you to consider an additional microphone position for the IR shooting?

At German Axe-Fest, we had an Audio Technica AT2035 at the REAR corner of the Cab - according to How To Mike A Marshall In The Studio c1985 | Elliott Randall - see the picture attached. We were amazed how much "In the Room"-Feel was captured in this way, especially when you mix this Rear-Corner-IR.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the new quality IRs. Thank you in advance.

6LtD5yO.jpg

Best regards
Friedlieb

Which makes a hell of a lot of sense, since the sound heard from a real speaker/cab combination will be totally different from an IR or better said most IR’s which are just capturing the cone portion of the total sound, the cab brings the bottom end.

I dig Clark's IR's a bit over the Ownhammer IR's, more often than not.

I find the Fane speakers in The Audio Factory collection simply amazing for high gain.

I highly recommend them and I have no affiliation with TAF.

It is like a 300 lb wrestler diving off the top rope and squashing you.

Simply brutal.

Nobody captured freebies of those speakers.

Back
Top Bottom