Choosing a "Fender-ish" clean tone

Define "Clean" first:

• Funk clean (Hard hitting 7 chords)
• Floyd clean (lots of depth and simple single note playing)
•*Ballad clean (alternate picking simple chords loud)
•*Greasy Clean (smearing sounds when hitting hard, but not really breakup)
•*Bluesy clean ( deep clean for bends and blues double stops)
• More?

I post this because clean has a wider range of tone then most give it credit for and "Fenderish" really means little since those amps where used on a billion different clean type tones (not to mention going down rabbit hole of which fender era: tweed, brown, black, silver, reissue.....etc.

Not sure if it's close enough to or how important it is regarding 'fender', but doesn't Hiwatt fit the whole range?

Yeah man, take the time to do some research.

I'm a big fender clean guy but really have really come to appreciate the usa clean. It doesn't quite sound like anything else. Full bodied Hi-Fi sound. I use stock, and boost the highs and sometimes the master and drive. It's a harder breakup than the fender's. Loves the chorus block but I've never had luck putting a drive in front.

I think it's what Pete Thorn used as the main riff in his famous Homage video. Very distinctive breakup.

My main clean amp is the DR. Z Maz 38 it's great for all types of music.
I also use the Lonestar Clean and place a BB Preamp in front for Solos, it sounds amazing ...

Without more detail on the specific clean style you want;

my personal "fenderish clean" is found in the Vibroverb Ab. It seems to have the best balance of all the fender amps and responds with light or heavy attack. Then, sticking a BB pre drive pedal in front gives you the drive sound that is the same character, but pushed into a midrangy bite.

My preferred Fender clean is the Concert 6G.

It is not the most full bodied amp, but it sounds the most "Fender" to my ears. But I am partial to the G circuits in the real amps so my ear goes there.

Tx Star Clean is a great no break up clean but doesn't sound like a Fender to me.

For 80's chorus clean, e.g. Rockman, no amp block.

Yek, have you tried the Concert model? With a Strat, really love that amp. It'll take gain well too, but does the "Fender" clean and pushed tones really well.
I actually like the Pre Rola cabs with it to soften highs a bit, and then mix with any 1x12 from Cab Pack 10 or the UR Double Verb factory cab.
Let us know what you end up with!

Sent from my iPhone

I'm surprised you ruled out the lonestar - it is one of the most beautiful cleans available, and breaks up smoothly when driven.
This is exactly what I was thinking.
Lonester = great Fender clean to crunchy IMO, kinda' like the DC30 does for Vox tones.

I'm liking the Suhr Badger 30 for this sort of tone, since the last FW update.

In the past, I couldnt get the Badgers to dial in like I "thought" they should sound; never owned one, but listening to clips. Lately it's been one of my favorite for Hendrixy clean Fender-ish tones. Check out the YouTube video in Suhr's website, of the guy doing the Hendrix-y riff - it nails that tone. I haven't checked it out live, yet, but sounds awesome with studio monitors.

Also, check out this one: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/99056-fw-18-08-badger-30-clean-sound.html

Back
Top Bottom