Check Out These Metal IRs

Der JD

Inspired
Found some links to some really cool IRs a few days ago here: Huge Collection of Metal Cabinet Impulses | Free Musician's Resource and here: BestPlugins IR5 Cabinet Impulse Responses | Free Musician's Resource

I haven't had time to try them all out but I've liked a lot of the ones I have tried. Some are based on amps, others on bands. I'm assuming most of them are sort of like tone matches. They're in WAV format but you can use a converter such as Axe-o-Matic (found here: OwnHammer.com - Axe-O-Matic) to convert them.

If you're having trouble dialing in particular metal tones you might give these a shot.

EDIT: See mjd515's post below where he was good enough to convert these to Axe II format.

Last edited:
ok you need to up the sample rate to 48k with this to get it to work if you give me 20 mins ill upload all the irs it a rar in folders in syx format for you guys

Thanks, this is awesome, something for me to experiment with as I'm still learning the many parts of axe fx II

Wow, thanks a ton for posting these, looks like a ton to go through! When I get time, I still have to go through all the Ownhammer v2 and Modern/Vintage and Producer Packs, and then these, down the rabbit hole I go! Thanks again!

ok I tried a bunch of these, but its tough to judge, they gggggggreatly color any amp they are used with; I guess I would have to figure out which amp model they are each intended for, then judge after tweaking, otherwise it's pretty random trying to see which sound good. Fun but time consuming. I could spend 72 hours straight, just trying out different cabs, irs, and amps and not touch 1/1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 of the combinations possible!

ok I tried a bunch of these, but its tough to judge, they gggggggreatly color any amp they are used with; I guess I would have to figure out which amp model they are each intended for, then judge after tweaking, otherwise it's pretty random trying to see which sound good. Fun but time consuming. I could spend 72 hours straight, just trying out different cabs, irs, and amps and not touch 1/1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 of the combinations possible!

I don't know, seems to me like all IRs greatly color the amp they're used with. That's what an IR does. The IR is where you get your tone, for the most part.

I agree that most of these work best if you use a similar amp to the one the actual artist used, which makes sense given that most of these are just TMs of some sort.

Some of these "artist" IRs to me sound very close to their recorded tone, others not so much. But there are a lot of variables at play...guitar, pickups, playing style, amp, effects, etc. I haven't found very many of them useful. I prefer to just do my own TMs. They sound more accurate to me.

I do, however, really like some of the "amp" IRs (pack 2, I believe). Some of these are really interesting. There's some amps in there that I'd never heard of. Would be great if Fractal would model some of these amps.

One thing I do like about almost all of them is that they seem to need very little EQing (for recorded tones). Seems like so many IRs out there have a ton of low/high end content that has to be cut.

I def. had to cut a lot of their high end sizzle. I just started in on the "spanish' ir's they sound more promising, less colored, again the band Ir's are basically TM's.

Back
Top Bottom