Celestion TF1225CX coaxial speaker for FRFR

Coaxial/Twin Cone - TF1225CX - Celestion - Guitar, Bass & Pro Audio Speakers

Anyone here has any experience with the Celestion TF1225CX coaxial speaker ? Is it any better than the Beyma GA50 ? That’s the model Matrix Amplification will use in their passive FRFR monitors. I’m considering buying a pair to put in a 2x12 cabinet, powered by a Matric GT800FX, for my Axe Fx

If i'm not mistaken, this is the speaker going in the Matrix Passive FRFR speaker.
Maybe somebody who has heard one could give some feedback.

Yes that's what I said in my post ;)

Ah...sorry, just saw that.

This topic interests me because I have a 1x12 cab I built, and would like to try 'some' FRFR speaker in there.
The only issue I see is that I believe you need a crossover to incorporate the Celestion TF1225CX solution?

Coaxial/Twin Cone - TF1225CX - Celestion - Guitar, Bass & Pro Audio Speakers

Anyone here has any experience with the Celestion TF1225CX coaxial speaker ? Is it any better than the Beyma GA50 ? That’s the model Matrix Amplification will use in their passive FRFR monitors. I’m considering buying a pair to put in a 2x12 cabinet, powered by a Matric GT800FX, for my Axe Fx

Unlike normal guitar speakers, which are a single driver ... dont forget the co-axial is two drivers in one, a bass/mid unit and a HF compression driver, so you will need to build a matching crossover to split the sound between the two drivers .. and while it is not difficult, it can involve a lot of trial and error, expect to try at least half a dozen variant until you get the crossover design to your liking and matching your cab. Most designers build "slope" into their crossovers to compensate for effects of the particualt cabinet they are using.

The Celestion will not work well in an open back cab, you'll need a sealed enclosure, and the size/volume of that enclosure will affect the low end response, and your crossover design. Not to put you off, but you have a LOT more variables to play with than you do in an open back, single-coil speaker cab!

Actually I have a par of Eminence BELA-LTA 2 in my cabinet, I don't think they use crossovers ; there's just a pair of connections on each (positive/negative). Confused...
I ordered Beymas anyway, I'll probably stick with that

I think the LTA is technically a dual concentric or whizzer cone. I know that the low end Eminence co-axial is sold as 2 separate parts, LF driver and then you have to buy the compression driver and fit that after, along with the crossover. Co-axials are 2 separate speakers with a LF and a HF compression driver situated in the same frame. The crossover is very important, as is the cabinet. Also I must admit I thought the Celestion was an OEM speaker?

Thanks ! I got the same infos from a friend who knows electronics. The Celestion is now sold to the public but quite rare. For the coming months I'll just use my 2x12 with Beyma's, possibly later I'll consider a Matrix passive monitor, we'll see :)
I think the LTA is technically a dual concentric or whizzer cone. I know that the low end Eminence co-axial is sold as 2 separate parts, LF driver and then you have to buy the compression driver and fit that after, along with the crossover. Co-axials are 2 separate speakers with a LF and a HF compression driver situated in the same frame. The crossover is very important, as is the cabinet. Also I must admit I thought the Celestion was an OEM speaker?

Last edited:
The TF1225CX is used in the Carvin TRx12N coax monitor. I have four of them.

It's a great speaker, IMO. Crossing it is a little tricky because the tweeter is like 8dB more efficient relative to the woofer, so you really have to pad it.

I also have some of the Eminence coaxes - the Beta 12CX. I've used them with both the ASD1001 and PSD2002 tweeters (I prefer the former).

I actually think the Emis sound better - and their tweeters are not quite so mismatched - but they require much larger enclosures, really to the point of being impractical. For typical monitors or guitar-sized cabinets, the Celestion works a lot better. It is almost twice as expensive, however.

The Celestion is/was used in the Matrix monitors but I considered them for replacing my Beymas in a 2x12, which I sold some months ago now

anyone else try the FRFR speaker in a guitar cab with success? I've been checking out the Mission Gemini 1...at the moment, there really isn't enough feedback on them and with available pics the cab really just looks like a normal 1x12 guitar cab, nothing special aside from the actual speaker/crossover/electronics. Going the DIY passive route should be fairly straight forward, assuming I could "tune" setup the crossover accordingly.

feedback?

I'm searching to build a cab right now. Either 1x12 beta 12cx asd 1001 with xover or the celestions. If you put the celestions in the same size cab as the matrix 212 will it sound the same?

@MicFarlow from Xitone uses the K12H-200TC in some designs, mentioned here. Another reference is here. It's a wizzer design.

I call it GRFR because it's pretty smooth all the way to 10-12k and then rolls off, which is almost perfect for a guitar-range, flat response system. You get enough power, you can keep your IRs, and stop worrying about the pains of a full-range crossover design. Plus they're relatively cheap at $90 vs $150 for a BETA 12CX-based set of components.

Just an idea.

@MicFarlow from Xitone uses the K12H-200TC in some designs, mentioned here. Another reference is here. It's a wizzer design.

I call it GRFR because it's pretty smooth all the way to 10-12k and then rolls off, which is almost perfect for a guitar-range, flat response system. You get enough power, you can keep your IRs, and stop worrying about the pains of a full-range crossover design. Plus they're relatively cheap at $90 vs $150 for a BETA 12CX-based set of components.

Just an idea.

Do you think I can just put two of them in an unloaded palmer 2x12 or something like that?

So what i need to actually do is take the speaker and build a cab spec to the thiel parameters for that specific speaker.

What happens if you want to put two of them in a box?

Back
Top Bottom