Celestion F12-X200 speaker

So would my Powerstage 200 not be up to the job even if it was 1x speaker?
It will work. Allot of people use them. Class D has come a long way. Google "class D vs class AB". Paul from PS audio has some great videos explaining the difference. If portability is important to you then go class D. If audio quality (especially in the higher frequencies) is your goal class AB is the better choice. I went with class H cuz its kind of the best of both worlds. Still alot heavier than a class D but my Axefx3 is in a rack anyway. Plus I got a really good deal on one. Half of what a powerstage cost. Alot of guys go with a matrix gt amp which are class AB but lightweight. How they manage to do that I don't know. Their price reflects the convenience and sound quality tho. Hope that helps. 🤘

It will work. Allot of people use them. Class D has come a long way. Google "class D vs class AB". Paul from PS audio has some great videos explaining the difference. If portability is important to you then go class D. If audio quality (especially in the higher frequencies) is your goal class AB is the better choice. I went with class H cuz its kind of the best of both worlds. Still alot heavier than a class D but my Axefx3 is in a rack anyway. Plus I got a really good deal on one. Half of what a powerstage cost. Alot of guys go with a matrix gt amp which are class AB but lightweight. How they manage to do that I don't know. Their price reflects the convenience and sound quality tho. Hope that helps. 🤘

I've been FRFR exclusively the past few years but since getting the powerstage as an impulse buy and enjoying it through an old 2x12 I was thinking it'd nice to see what a combination of my two CLRs and a fx-x200 would be, hopefully the best of both worlds as an w/d/w rig

I think I'm gonna have to try the speaker in the Celestion designed cab

Reactions: JTI
I've been FRFR exclusively the past few years but since getting the powerstage as an impulse buy and enjoying it through an old 2x12 I was thinking it'd nice to see what a combination of my two CLRs and a fx-x200 would be, hopefully the best of both worlds as an w/d/w rig

I think I'm gonna have to try the speaker in the Celestion designed cab
If you are near st. Louis I'd let you test drive mine before you pull the trigger 🙂

Is a Thiele cab worth considering? Seen an empty 1x12 cab
I haven't a clue. I know zilla is making cabs to celestion specs. There are loaded montage cabs on ebay. Not sure if they are to spec. Seems you guys in the UK have more options than we do in the states. I was able to build two loaded cabs for the price it would cost me to buy just one.

I haven't a clue. I know zilla is making cabs to celestion specs. There are loaded montage cabs on ebay. Not sure if they are to spec.

Plenty of options kicking about, worth rolling the dice in a couple of directions to see what works

In one of the other threads a guy had one custom made with the power amp built in. Looked really good and he was really pleased with it

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/custom-built-cab-for-celestion-f12-x200.149171/post-1775026
Well if you are building your own parts express has the 230v version of that same amp for 99USD right now. I was seriously considering those but I needed 2 of the120v models which are 199USD ea. I went with a rack amp. It was cheaper and less work drilling one barrel Jack hole than cutting out for a plate amp. It did however add 22lbs to my rack. That plate amp will add 14lbs to a cabinet. My cabs weigh in at 30lbs ea. I wonder if adding a plate amp would effect resonance.

https://www.parts-express.com/ACT-1...O_tpOYUweh06LqpPCx9WYddHyzmdTJIBoCGGwQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
Tried the FM through a new to me 5150iii el34 50 watter into my F12. So many points of failure admittedly acknowledged from the get go; but it isn't a keeper. I have an orange pedal baby coming soon and will see if that does the trick for me.
How is the power baby?

Considering one myself. Used a VHT 2:50:2 with my old AFX standard. Then went to Matrix for years. Then moved back to valves with Fryette Power station and AFX2 which I still have.

Have an AFX3 coming next week - but I now go FRFR to the desk in a lot of places - so thinking of a SS power amp for the cab so I dont have to compromise either with Power amp block tweeks.

A questions for those using the Forte style cabs. Where are you setting the internal side flaps for the ports? Are you running it as closed back, or leaving the ports open?

A questions for those using the Forte style cabs. Where are you setting the internal side flaps for the ports? Are you running it as closed back, or leaving the ports open?
I just run my Avatar Forte cabs "as-built". As far as I can see, the internal flaps are not adjustable. From what I hear, I have never been inspired to change anything about them.

Back
Top Bottom