Celestion F12-X200 speaker

Those are basically just "whizzer" cones. I was researching those as well and from what I can find a coaxial speaker like the f12-x200 is a much better solution. Something to have to do with distortion or phasing. My memory fails me. Lol. I do know i googled whizzer cone vs coaxial and went down the rabbit hole on a few audiophile forums.
Celestions design to hide the second driver under the dust cap is elegant imo...

Best bet is to contact celestion via their contact us form. I couldn't find it either. They usually reply within a day or two.

I've been reading quite a bit about these speakers and the consensus seems to be they're very cab dependant, so has anyone found found where they work best? 1x12's or 2x12's or specific cab designs in particular?

I just used celestions design to build two cabs. They sound phenomenal and feel amazing. I'm driving them with an inexpensive 530watt class H stereo amp. Amp gain at 1oclock using fractal output to control volume. Also set speaker resonance in amp block around 75

If you build your own I recommend finishing them with exohyde from parts express. Easy to apply textured epoxy finish. Looks professional and tough. I also used peavey handles, peavey rubber feet, and a barrel jack. All from parts express.

It won't let me post the link to the cab drawing but you can find it on celestions website.

Attachments

• IMG_20210325_180343085~2.jpg
    IMG_20210325_180343085~2.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 42
I just used celestions design to build two cabs. They sound phenomenal and feel amazing. I'm driving them with an inexpensive 530watt class H stereo amp. Amp gain at 1oclock using fractal output to control volume. Also set speaker resonance in amp block around 75

If you build your own I recommend finishing them with exohyde from parts express. Easy to apply textured epoxy finish. Looks professional and tough. I also used peavey handles, peavey rubber feet, and a barrel jack. All from parts express.

It won't let me post the link to the cab drawing but you can find it on celestions website.

Looks great, what sort of tones do you go for and how would you describe how this cab sounds?

Do you use the cab block with it, or treat it as a guitar cab?

Looks great, what sort of tones do you go for and how would you describe how this cab sounds?
Here are a couple sound clips I've recorded direct. I just used audacity and don't have any mixing experience so these are just raw takes with a simple drum machine no post processing. Listen to them thru headphones, stereo or in your car not on a phone tho. I would describe the sound as full, clear, with smooth highs compared to my Yamaha hs50m studio monitors and headrush FRFR12s. They also have that amp in the room feeling you feel in your chest at high volumes. (Which was lacking with the others.) I'm talking the kind of volume that even tho playing in my basement the guy across the street can hear it clear as day. These can get really loud and I totally recommend using a class A/b or class h amp with at least 400watts so you have clean power and lots of headroom. Hope that helps 😉

Attachments

• tracks.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Here are a couple sound clips I've recorded direct. I just used audacity and don't have any mixing experience so these are just raw takes with a simple drum machine no post processing. Listen to them thru headphones, stereo or in your car not on a phone tho. I would describe the sound as full, clear, with smooth highs compared to my Yamaha hs50m studio monitors and headrush FRFR12s. They also have that amp in the room feeling you feel in your chest at high volumes. (Which was lacking with the others.) I'm talking the kind of volume that even tho playing in my basement the guy across the street can hear it clear as day. These can get really loud and I totally recommend using a class A/b or class h amp with at least 400watts so you have clean power and lots of headroom. Hope that helps 😉
Thank you, helped me a lot!

I'm in the fence between an Atomic CLR and a Cab with a Celestion FX and a Power Amp.

Atomic CLR is much more expensive here in Brazil.

Sounds great, thanks for posting these

Tried the FM through a new to me 5150iii el34 50 watter into my F12. So many points of failure admittedly acknowledged from the get go; but it isn't a keeper. I have an orange pedal baby coming soon and will see if that does the trick for me.

Tried the FM through a new to me 5150iii el34 50 watter into my F12. So many points of failure admittedly acknowledged from the get go; but it isn't a keeper. I have an orange pedal baby coming soon and will see if that does the trick for me.
Sorry to hear you are having problems. I was tempted to buy a couple cheap ebay 1x12 cabs...glad I didn't. Seems these speakers require the right cabinet to function correctly. I think the newer F12M-150 Triple Cone are supposed to be more forgiving and drop into a wider range of cabs. I'm just not sold on the whole whizzer cone design to get the higher frequencies but I've heard they work as intended. Those maybe a better choice for your situation. I can only attest to putting the F12-x200 in a celestion spec cabinet.

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I was tempted to buy a couple cheap ebay 1x12 cabs...glad I didn't. Seems these speakers require the right cabinet to function correctly. I think the newer F12M-150 Triple Cone are supposed to be more forgiving and drop into a wider range of cabs. I'm just not sold on the whole whizzer cone design to get the higher frequencies but I've heard they work as intended. Those maybe a better choice for your situation. I can only attest to putting the F12-x200 in a celestion spec cabinet.
It's not the cab. Or the speaker. It's the power amp. Still keeping the speaker, just ditching the amp.

Back
Top Bottom