Hello! Our band is new to having halfstacks! Last year we got a Carvin R1000 for our bass rig paired with an Ampeg 4x10. After 5 months which included a tour and several shows, two speakers ripped. I think there was too much power for the speakers to handle. I do know know much about speakers and amps and I had some questions that I think will help is not blow any speakers and to understand our gear better. Also the speakers were eminence speakers that are red with a picture of a guitar on them, I can’t find any info on them.

I keep reading the manual but I still do not understand the Carvin R1000 (series 3)

1. What is bridged mode, in layman’s terms

2. Should we be using the amp in bridge only mode? (Impedance is correct but that means all 1000w of power going to the 4x10 if I read that correctly)

3. How should we go about figuring out which speakers to use so we don’t blow any more

4. In layman’s terms, what is bi-amp, and do we need to worry about that when using a single cab?

We are total noobs I apologize, but we wish to learn, or at least I do.

1. What is bridged mode, in layman’s terms
Bridged mode is a way of combining a stereo amplifier into one output, usually to attain higher power. Most amplifier ratings quoted on these amps are the bridged, maximum wattage. The wattage output is much higher bridged, sometimes double the single left/right output, and the ohm load of the speaker cabinet becomes much more important to proper operation. The ohm load is the amount of resistance to current flow the speakers provide, and is dependent on the speaker ohm rating and the way they are wired together (series, parallel, series-parallel, etc).

2. Should we be using the amp in bridge only mode? (Impedance is correct but that means all 1000w of power going to the 4x10 if I read that correctly)
You can use it in stereo and just use one output (keeping the other unused channel output at zero at all times if it isn't used to drive another speaker cabinet). See below.

3. How should we go about figuring out which speakers to use so we don’t blow any more
You can sometimes exceed the cabinet rating with a clean signal, and some prefer this, but you're always taking a chance at frying a voice coil in the speaker. If the speakers are ripping, they have exceeded their mechanical limit (how far they are able to move in and out) and are likely being massively overpowered. Most Ampeg 4x10 cabs are 500 watt capacity, so you're likely running twice the rated capacity to them.

In a short concept, to avoid blowing speakers, match the speaker capacity to the amp you are driving them with. The Carvin R1000 manual is here:
https://carvinaudio.com/pages/bass-amp-manuals

I believe running just one side of the amp to the cabinet will get you to a safe spot, or add a second cab to get more sound and a safe load. If you like the half stack, a full stack is even more of that. Read the manual above thoroughly for details.

4. In layman’s terms, what is bi-amp, and do we need to worry about that when using a single cab?
Bi-amping is splitting the signal into two frequency ranges, low and high, then sending each to a speaker enclosure designed to amplify that range. It is also covered in the manual above. Some single cabs are bi-amp capable, so the answer to the second half of your question depends on the specific cabinet.

We are total noobs I apologize, but we wish to learn, or at least I do.

We were all noobs at some point, and did things we laugh at now. No shame in learning, my friend. Feel free to respond or PM with other questions, I'd be glad to help.

Last edited:
Since you just joined today and mention nothing about using any Fractal equipment, I'm curious if you realize this is not a general purpose audio forum?

No harm in posting, but the focus here is for Fractal gear.

Back
Top Bottom