Carrying case?

I may regret it...I should have it by Monday. I won't be able to see if it all fits (would have to "pluck the foam", but I should be able to tell weight. If it's too much I'll stick with the 365. I just want a good bag/case for ax8, expression and small accessories (iems, etc).

I've been intrigued by the idea of only plucking the foam partway down, if that's an option. That thing is nine inches deep. Maybe you could fit expression pedals toward the bottom, then the AX8 above, with another, deeper slot to the side for accessories and cables.

I may regret it...I should have it by Monday. I won't be able to see if it all fits (would have to "pluck the foam", but I should be able to tell weight. If it's too much I'll stick with the 365. I just want a good bag/case for ax8, expression and small accessories (iems, etc).

I've been between these two cases as well (365 & 1510). Please share with with us the pros and cons with each when you get the Pelican in.

Im In Australia. Chris at caseman or C&C cases will make a case especially for the ax 8 with 1,2 or 3 expression pedals. And he makes them out of the lightest material without compromising the strength and integrity of the case. he made one for my boss Gt100 and it has a lift up panel that the GT100 sits on with is mounted via a piano hinge. thwweres was plenty of room to put a power supply to power the GT100 and 4 other pedals that I love. With all those pedals mounted, the whole roadcase is still light.
i'll be getting a roadcase for the AX8 very soon. Im so over setting up my pedals one by one on the floor.

OK, I got the Pelican 1510 today. It was a rough day at work so I took a break and set things up. I was too flustered to think it through, so I did make some errors. The wheels stick up into the storage area, so that makes putting the foam tougher. I was able to fit the AX8 and an Ernie Ball pedal in. I had been using a Moog, which is too tall if I use the narrow foam that lines the bottom (it is removable and probably don't need it). The 1510 is also about 1/2 inch too small to allow foam on all sides (plugs get in the way). If I decide to go with this I will glue the top portion to the bottom as it pops out now when I pull the AX8 out.

The case is not too heavy since it has wheels. It's actually easier for me to manage than the 365 was. I would also probably lose the foam on the lid and instead get their organizer...that would give me place for mis. stuff and perhaps a tablet.

Thoughts?

26692754216_4a0075502a_z.jpg

26692755406_3e48d9d8a6_z.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I got the Pelican 1510 today. It was a rough day at work so I took a break and set things up. I was too flustered to think it through, so I did make some errors. The wheels stick up into the storage area, so that makes putting the foam tougher. I was able to fit the AX8 and an Ernie Ball pedal in. I had been using a Moog, which is too tall if I use the narrow foam that lines the bottom (it is removable and probably don't need it). The 1510 is also about 1/2 inch too small to allow foam on all sides (plugs get in the way). If I decide to go with this I will glue the top portion to the bottom as it pops out now when I pull the AX8 out.

The case is not too heavy since it has wheels. It's actually easier for me to manage than the 365 was. I would also probably lose the foam on the lid and instead get their organizer...that would give me place for mis. stuff and perhaps a tablet.

Thoughts?

26692754216_4a0075502a_z.jpg

26692755406_3e48d9d8a6_z.jpg
Looks pretty tidy. Like the pedal underneath - nice

@sbruce Looks nice! Tight, compact, and neatly stacked. Though it does make me wish that the 1510 were an inch taller (so you could keep the bottom foam), an inch deeper (to allow the foam to fully surround the AX8), and a few inches longer (to allow for two expression pedals along with a full-depth pocket for cables, wireless, power strip, sheet music and a tablet). Sooner or later, someone is going to spot the outward ruggedness of the case and figure they can beat the snot out of it. At that point, I'd wish I had foam all around.

How much protection do you give up if you go with the organizer and give up the foam?

If I use a pedal other than the Moog, I was able to keep the bottom foam. I would think an Ev-5 or any smaller pedal would also fit. The Moog just sits too high to allow for the bottom foam.

This thing is rigid enough that I don't see the fact that I can have foam around the jacks as a big deal. Perhaps if you were flying with it, but regular use doesn't seem like it would be an issue. I wonder how Neil Zaza fits his in this Pelican?

I don't think losing the foam in the lid will be a big deal either...but I'm still debating that one, I really just want someplace to store the Windows netbook I'm hoping to get. I really wish Fractal would make an iPad app ;)

I'm not so concerned about something penetrating the case—it's pretty rugged. I'm more concerned about an impact onto that rigid case while the stuff inside is touching. For instance, what if the case got tipped over onto its top while the kick bar on top of the AX8 was in contact with the Netbook you've got stored above it, with no foam to absorb the impact?

It's the same way with guitar cases. People often zero in on how tough a case is, but don't give much thought to how the guitar is supported inside it. I've seen some wonderful cases that are totally wrong for—and even downright dangerous to—the particular guitar that was placed inside.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit OCD about this kind of thing, but with great, rugged cases comes great responsibility. :) A tough, impact resistant case doesn't help much when that impact is transferred directly to the stuff it contains.

Nice case but It looks like it's a piece of test equipment ;). Someone must really bash your gear around to have to want to put it in one of these cases.

Actually, my gear is very lightly used and never abused :). I just have not been able to find a case that fits otherwise. I am also considering the opposite end of the spectrum and just looking for a pedal train Jr. Bag used. I see people using laptop cases, but haven't been able to find one that also would hold an expression pedal.

I went with my old cheepy case I bought off eBay a few years back, it wouldn't survive any abuse from the samsonite gorilla but it keeps it covered and it's ready to go once the lid comes off. I just have to be a little more aware of how it's handled. The case with everything on the board and closed up weighs 31.5 Lbs. Not as lite as a bag but it a lot easier to manage than my previous Axe FX II rig.

Last edited:
I'm trying to find something pretty minimalist but I haven't come across anything yet.

Then I though maybe I could find a small antique suitcase, you know the type with leather buckle straps and what not, line the interior with a little foam and done.

Still looking.....

I'm trying to find something pretty minimalist but I haven't come across anything yet.

Then I though maybe I could find a small antique suitcase, you know the type with leather buckle straps and what not, line the interior with a little foam and done.

Still looking.....
Like more minimalist than this?

I almost went for the Kontroller, but it seems way over priced compared to the other Mono offerings...if it had some more pockets , cool pouches, storage, etc like the rest of the line I would have picked it up.

The Kontroller bag is about perfect. Right now I'm just being cheap and don't want to spend $230 for a case.

The Mono Kontroller is built like a tank. I regularly transport both my AX8 and FX8 in the thing together. It's a tight fit, but the bag is showing no signs of fatigue after about a year and a half.

Back
Top Bottom