Carr Troubles

I started with all controls at Noon (bright off -- amp does not have a bright channel - not sure why default has bright on) and it sounded like absolute crap with flabby distortion (real amp does not break up at 5 with humbuckers - not even close)

Yo,will you be so nice to Make some IR`s of the Carr Rambler Combo,you have ??

I'll revisit it again after the SIM is finalized.

Last night was the first time I unpacked my AF2 since my NYE gig. Since NYE all I have been playing is my Carr Rambler.

This sat I am going to gig the Rambler and give AF2 the night off ( After 12 months straight of using it 100% on gigs, I think the AF2 deserves a night off).

when I turned the Axe-FX on last night for the first time in 8 days -- the first thing that struck me was how incredible the effects in the Axe-FX (especially the reverbs and delays) are.

Hope Fractal releases an all effects floor unit some day.

LVC, i just setup a Carr with the boogafunk EV using your settings and it sounds great with a super tele. Left the bright switch on and had to add the low cut switch.
View attachment 19146

I have the amp here in the office at the moment. It sounds awesome.

I don't have my audio interface handy to do a cab sweep so I can't give you a true comparison. But here's a sound sample of the Axe-FX II model starting with LVC's settings and using factory cab 79 "Junior Blues Mix". About half way through the clip I crank the gain from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock. I'm not super familiar with the Carr (first time I heard it was yesterday actually) but I think it's pretty comparable to what I would get if I stuck a mic in front of the real thing:

Non-soundcloud version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6gl8tqnucm8vat/Adam Cook - Axe-FX II Car Roamer Sample.mp3

The Rambler has a fixed bright cap therefore the Bright Switch should be on. The actual amp has no numbers on the faceplate so I have no idea how you can set a control to "11".

This amp has not been MIMIC'd yet. This has been made clear several times. Regardless we compared the actual amp to the model today and everyone thought they were very close and actually preferred the model.

Once my knee feels well enough to lug the amp into the lab we will MIMIC it and correct any errors in the model. In the meantime I suggest you enjoy the hundreds of other fine amp models available.

It may take a while, but i can come over and carry the amp wherever you need it :D

If the mimic'd amp sounds different, i hope this amp could stay as the FAS amp "FAScar".. It sounds stunning IMO. Dirty, chewy and bad"ss.

Last edited:
i made some first test with this AF2 model and found it very good, especially with a drive in front.
but anyway, I don't have the real one so....

there are so much others great amps in AF2.. can wait for the Carr to be mimic-ed.
Take care to you Cliff !

I don't have my audio interface handy to do a cab sweep so I can't give you a true comparison. But here's a sound sample of the Axe-FX II model starting with LVC's settings and using factory cab 79 "Junior Blues Mix". About half way through the clip I crank the gain from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock. I'm not super familiar with the Carr (first time I heard it was yesterday actually) but I think it's pretty comparable to what I would get if I stuck a mic in front of the real thing:

Non-soundcloud version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6gl8tqnucm8vat/Adam Cook - Axe-FX II Car Roamer Sample.mp3

Sounds very similar to what I'm getting from the model. Love this model - killer dynamics with the guitar volume control. Sounds really great with the neck humbucker - excellent blues tone. It's one of these models you can kill hours playing nothing in particular; just jamming.

Sounds great -- but this is what a Rambler should sound like

Audio Clips Rambler | Carr Amplifiers

Non-soundcloud version:

Compared to my clip those videos use a totally different guitar (mine is the PRS SC58 you see in my profile pic), style of playing, and are recorded "amp in the room" style. Not really possible to draw any conclusions whether or not the Axe-FX II model sounds the way it "should" based on that comparison.

We'll see what happens after Cliff MIMIC's the amp but I'll be surprised if the final amp models changes all that much.

I feel you on that knee tendonitis Cliff. I'm only 23 and that crap will make you feel like you're 90. PT helped me a lot.

Sometimes i like it better when i've never played or studied the amps that are modelled. That way my head, ears and eyes are free of " how it should be", and just find great tones. Just turn the knobs and play.

Imho every amp sim in the axe has something going for it.

Okay. As I said the model is preliminary. The calibration of the tone controls may be completely off.

I don't get paid any extra to get beaten up by forum members if a BETA model isn't perfect. I've barely been able to walk for the past week because I have tendinitis in my knee. The last thing I want to be doing is lugging a heavy tube amp into the lab.

Cliff, the AXE FX II and your efforts are several orders of magnitude above the asking price. Thanks for your efforts!

Here is a rambling I did in short order, it sounds great clean in my opinion. The guitar is a fender deluxe on the rhythm pickup. I'll have to admit it sounds better in the room then this recording, but that could be because I suck at recording. It sounds great with the CLR cab and a Matrix GT1000 into a 2x12. I can't see what the mimic is really going to do, to make this any better.

The amp sounds delicious with humbuckers.

go to their audio clip page ( Carr Amplifiers ) and scroll down to find the Rambler clips (with settings). Mine sounds the same.

To me your clip sound great -- but way different than how my amp sounds like with humbuckers.

In any event -- like I said -- this is one of my favorite amps and I look forward to playing it when it is finished!

Compared to my clip those videos use a totally different guitar (mine is the PRS SC58 you see in my profile pic), style of playing, and are recorded "amp in the room" style. Not really possible to draw any conclusions whether or not the Axe-FX II model sounds the way it "should" based on that comparison.

We'll see what happens after Cliff MIMIC's the amp but I'll be surprised if the final amp models changes all that much.

Sounds better

Can you share your amp settings?

sounds like you might have the guitar vol rolled back and the gain down very low on the amp.

thanks

Here is a rambling I did in short order, it sounds great clean in my opinion. The guitar is a fender deluxe on the rhythm pickup. I'll have to admit it sounds better in the room then this recording, but that could be because I suck at recording. It sounds great with the CLR cab and a Matrix GT1000 into a 2x12. I can't see what the mimic is really going to do, to make this any better.

Last edited:
The general attitude when posting these bitch threads is really juvenille. Saying something sounds like "crap" is as unprofessional as you can get.

I would love to tell the OP his settings on the Carr are crap. Nobody sets them that way. Are you suffering from frequency loss?!?! Must be. Crap. Pure CRAP.

Get the picture? Not fun reading such childish dribble when it is about yourself, is it?

This is so true especially with clean amps.

I think IMO they are still the most difficult to capture. Most models seem to have a little extra inherent gain not present in the real amp (probably there for compression or something).

Bottom line is we are all spoiled rotten and expect perfection every time.

Sometimes i like it better when i've never played or studied the amps that are modelled. That way my head, ears and eyes are free of " how it should be", and just find great tones. Just turn the knobs and play..

You are right -- my choice of words were extremely poor and in hindsight I should have paused for a few minutes before typing.

The general attitude when posting these bitch threads is really juvenille. Saying something sounds like "crap" is as unprofessional as you can get.

I would love to tell the OP his settings on the Carr are crap. Nobody sets them that way. Are you suffering from frequency loss?!?! Must be. Crap. Pure CRAP.

Get the picture? Not fun reading such childish dribble when it is about yourself, is it?

Back
Top Bottom