Can't tell if it's my mix or my tone

Not yet. I just started toying with Metal Machine and making some adjustments to the drum tracks for the song. After that I'll find out how I can upload the stems.

Holy shit balls! That kit cuts through the mix WAY BETTER!

Also, I gave the guitars a BIT more high end presence and some reverb. And modified the bass distortion a bit. I'm feeling better about this one.

That sounds much better. I would still bring up the low mids in the bass guitar a bit to nudge it up against the guitars.

That sounds much better. I would still bring up the low mids in the bass guitar a bit to nudge it up against the guitars.

I'm not so sure. I feel like there's a lot of low end already. I may even drop the kicks a smidge because they sound booming over here.

The kick does sound like it needs to come down a smidge, but I'm also hearing sort of a hollow spot under the guitars.

I'm not incredibly proficient at picking out frequency ranges yet, otherwise I would describe what I mean better.

There is indeed something missing. I feel like there's a gap in the guitars or something that's keep from filling the whole mix.

That's what I've been trying to say. Most people would make the mistake of thickening up the guitars. What you should do instead is open up the top end of the bass guitar a bit, so that it smooshes up against the guitars a bit. The thickness in metal guitars is almost never the guitars; it's the bass.

Ok. I readjusted some levels and modified the bass distortion to fill in that gap we kept hearing. I think I filled it in! Guitars are more up from and the instruments seem more balanced.

Back
Top Bottom