Can't get a sound though AXE FX II XL on my MacBook Pro.

adrianmorag

Hi guys. Recently I've switched from a Windows based notebook to MacBook Pro and now I'm facing extremely frustrating issue.

After connecting my axe fx to macbook I can't hear any sound through my axe fx.
Setup looks like:
Axe FX via USB -> MacBook Pro | Headphones connected to headphones input on AXE FX front panel.
My macbook sees AXE FX properly, i've changed input and output device to AXE FX II in my system preferences -> sound. I also checked the Midi Audio Config and my Axe Fx is visible and active there as well.
One thing i've noticed is when something is already playing and I'm plugging my axe fx to usb sound switches and then I can hear the sound for a moment but then it stops.

To be clear, I'm talking about any sound coming from my macbook, like iTunes, youtube etc.
My guitar works perfectly ofc.

SPECS:
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II XL
Quantum 5.03
MacBook Pro 13"
OSX El Capitan 10.11.2

I'll be glad for any help.

So your problem is your not hearing any mac based sounds coming through to your Axe Fx and then your headphones?
Have you installed the AXE FX drivers?
http://www.fractalaudio.com/drivers.php

And a quick tip.
If you press ALT F10 or F11 it'll take you straight to your inputs and outputs window where you can easily switch between them.

Reactions: yek
also check on your macbook - go into "audio midi setup". make sure the audio window is open and have a look at the entry for the axe fx. select it in the list, right click /ctrl click on it and make sure you select "use this device for sound input / output"

Sample rates are different between iTunes 44.1k and Axe 48k.

Try turning off all other audio apps and then try the Axe. Note, safari can sometimes grab the audio out too.

Sample rates shouldn't matter at all, I can listen to iTunes and play along on my Axe on my Macbook Air.

Sounds like a config issue. The obvious one is installing the drivers and making the Axe the Mac input/output soundcard in Sys preferences-->sound. But he already has done that.

The fact the sound drops out makes me suspect a dodgy USB cable.

According to your advices ive reinstalled the drivers, checked my I/O settings and MIDI audio settings.

Ive also checked dofference usb cable and then i discovered that i have same problem with my Rode NT Usb Microphone.
Sound is working after pluggin it in, then it drops.

Ive tried both cables for Axe and Rode and problem stays the same :/

I've done test on other macbook pro from early 2009 and everything works fine.
I've contacted with apple support, and after reinstalling macOS, reseting NVRAM and some other stuff problem stayed the same.
Their response was, that fractal axe fx II drivers are not compatibile with 'USB 3.0 on macOS' and I should contact producer of a device to realase a patch for their drivers....

My question is: does anyone here using late 2015 macbook [or later] with only USB 3.0 and El Capitan or newer system ? :>
I'm freaking desparate cuz of spending that much money for a device that is not working :///

I've got aa Axe-Fx XL+ running via USB into a mid 2012 MacBook Pro 15" Retina with Yosemite. I use the USB port on the right side. Logic Pro plays back fine. I haven't tried any other audio sources.

Last edited:
Apple is bullcrapping, my macbook air has USB3 and it works fine. The fact your mic has the same problem makes it obvious it's an issue with your laptop.

Back
Top Bottom