Can you recommend some electric strings?

tried many different brands (elixir, dean markley, d'addario, ernie ball, rotosounds bla bal etc) - can't notice the difference in any of them. although elixir seem to stay brighter for a bit longer.
r.e. the stainless steel d'addario ones - they feel a bit different, but sounded the same when amplified to me.

to me, it doesn't matter - i just buy d'addario or ernie balls most of the time.

I never seem to settle on a specific brand, but I use GHS Boomers more than any other. Typically 10-46 on both my 25.5 scale and 24.75 scale guitars.

I think I tried Boomers a ways back. Don't recall whether I liked them.

I decided to try the Campbells ($14 for 3 sets) and a set of Nanowebs. We'll see.

Yeah, maybe they do sound the same amplified. I think that's why a lot of people through even the 90s used Marshall on stage. You might have a special pedal or something, but especially at stadium volume, is there much difference in a tube amp sound?

I found webstrings.com and never looked back. Cheap great strings plus in gauges that I couldnt find any other. I use the med/heavy. Seriously cheap buy 5 sets and under $4 each including shipping.

Except they have only one brand (of which I've never heard) of string, and they're out of standard 9s.

i hate ernie ball strings

but i use them- because they're the most readily available 8-38 strings

thinking of switching to SIT

I've been using DRs for a few years. To my ear, they have a touch more clarity on the lower strings. I'm not sure exactly what it is I'm hearing...maybe more energy focused on the fundamental and its harmonics, and less energy spent on other frequencies. The seem to last longer than most, too.

A few months ago, I tried the DR DDTs (DDT stands for Drop-Down Tuning). The claim is that they settle into their final pitch quickly, and they seem to be living up to the claim. A couple of stretches and they're at pitch. Nice for those times when you break a string in the middle of a gig; you don't have to wrestle the string for half a set to get it stretched in.

8-38?! I didn't even know those gauges exist, lol. Are they still in the visible light spectrum? ;)
Years ago, I tried a couple of sets of 8.5s. The high-E string had a noticeably thinner tone (and lower output) than anything I'd tried before, and they broke quickly. To each his own, but they didn't work for me.

Another vote for Elixir Nanowebs. I primarily used D'Addario EXL110 10-46 nickel wound regular light gauge strings for years before switching to Elixir's a couple of years back after being pestered about constantly by friends of mine. I now only buy other manufacturers strings out of desperation. I've tried other coated strings (including D'Addario's version) when I've had trouble getting Elixir's, but none seem to last as long as Elixir's.

.11 GHS Boomes on my strat and .13 Thomastik Bebop on my Jazz guitars

Both are great for what I need them to do! :)

Jens

I'm extremely picky about bass strings and acoustic strings but for electric guitar I usually stick to D'Addario or EB (both nickel). I've found that I actually like Fender Bullets on my strat.

Elixir .10-.46 Nanoweb here. I went through a stupid amount of brands before settling on these. I'll get 4-6 shows out of a set without breaking a string (that's 12-18hrs of hot sweaty STAGE time) plus practice time. I wish they were a little slinkier like D'Addario, but my skin corrodes that brand like crazy.

Ernie Ball are my most hated string choice, though I have a set of Cobalt's lying in wait as I've heard really good things about them.

Used EB Slink Hybrids for ages, but over the last few years I've swapped to Dean Markley NickelSteel Signatures.....sound good to me and last longer too.

I've been using DRs for a few years. To my ear, they have a touch more clarity on the lower strings. I'm not sure exactly what it is I'm hearing...maybe more energy focused on the fundamental and its harmonics, and less energy spent on other frequencies. The seem to last longer than most, too.

Yeah, I remember that. They were bass-ier, without being bassier. I may try some again eventually.

Thomastic.....I tried some Thomastic Infelds around '99....can't remember whether it was flat wound.....

I remember Ernie Balls being pretty cheap, at least the super slinkys.

Unless you're doing serious, consistent whammy, and perhaps crazy bends, I can't see why you would break a string. ((Edited for clarity.))

Last edited:
Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalt 9-42 is by far the best one I've tried so far during my 30 years of playing.
I have tried so many brands, used Daddario's for years and years, but the clarity and feel of these
ernie ball cobalt strings are amazing, first chord I strummed after tuning and before even hooked up
I was so surprised.

For me they last a long time, I'm not sweating in my hands at all and always very particular about
washing my hands before I play anyway so I don't tear up the strings very fast anyway but these last longer
than my Daddario's IMHO, I'm not a professional, and I only play a couple of hours a day so .. take it for what it's
worth.

:)

Back
Top Bottom