Can you capture an IR of the Axe itself?

oldguitarnerd

Hi guys!

I was wondering something. Can I capture an IR of the Axe itself? I want to make an IR of a PEQ and the setting it has. I'm trying match the Axe to a Neve EQ, and it would make it a whole lot easier if I could get IRs of the PEQ response.

Thanks guys

Hi guys!

I was wondering something. Can I capture an IR of the Axe itself? I want to make an IR of a PEQ and the setting it has. I'm trying match the Axe to a Neve EQ, and it would make it a whole lot easier if I could get IRs of the PEQ response.

Thanks guys

I think you can. But you can´t have , compression, any type of distortion, and no modulation effects avtivated.
If you just gonna use the peq it should be no problem.
I just didn´t undestand exactly what you were gonna do.
I guess you will have to use outbord equipment to make the sweep recordings (of the axe and neve)an deconvolve them.

Why not connect the neve to the axe-loop and use the tone match block in some inteligent way.

I think you can. But you can´t have , compression, any type of distortion, and no modulation effects avtivated.
I guess you will have to use outbord equipment to make the sweep recordings (of the axe and neve)an deconvolve them.

Why not connect the neve to the axe-loop and use the tone match block in some inteligent way.

I don´t think he needs any outboard equipment. His request should be possible by using output 1 and output 2, and route everything correctly within the grid. Also have to make sure that both are fully separated all the way from input to output. However, there might be something I´m overlooking at the moment, if so please correct me on this question!

/Mike

You can have distortion, modulation, compression, etc.
It just wont capture anything but the freq/phase aspects.

I think the Tone Match block can be used to capture linear effects. Set the input of the TM block to "block input". Put a synth block at the front of the chain set to no trigger and your choice of white or pink noise. capture the source, disable all the PEQ and other linear blocks and then capture the target, perform a match and save as an IR.

I think the Tone Match block can be used to capture linear effects. Set the input of the TM block to "block input". Put a synth block at the front of the chain set to no trigger and your choice of white or pink noise. capture the source, disable all the PEQ and other linear blocks and then capture the target, perform a match and save as an IR.

I believe you can also jump the output2 and input2 then in the grid go feedback rtn - fx loop - peq - feedback snd. You would need to set the proper level.
The tone match will not give quite the same resolution as a IR capture. Then again, it has the added benefit of not going through the D/A,A/D converters.

I've been wondering about the resolution of the tone matched IR. I saw a mention about there being some bug related to TM IR's too but there wasn't much detail about the degree of the issue.

Hi!

Thanks for the responses guys! I've tried to connect it this way:

output 2 left to input 1 left
output 1 left to input 2 left

Which didn't work, since as far I can tell, the Axe mutes output 1 when doing an IR capture.

I'll try what you said javajunkie and report back.

It tried the thing you said javajunkie, it didn't work. It seems the Axe mutes everything except the IR capture when you use that function. I noticed the that CPU usage of the Axe dropped to only 6% during the time of the capture, so it seems to confirm this. Maybe there is another way of getting around this?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom