Can we have separate threads for the thank yous?

Will Ferrell Dad GIF by filmeditor

Thanks Cliff and team for all the updates and solid product. Wanted to get this in before the thread was locked, lol

No disrespect. Been a user since the Ultra. We all love what Cliff does and the firmware updates are amazing. But every single update or beta, at least half the long thread are posts just saying “thank you Cliff”. I want to read the thread to see how people are getting on with the firmware, whether there are any issues, particularly with a beta. If we can’t take it as given that we are all thankful, can we have separate threads (or a standing thread) for all the thank yous?
I agree. I’ve thought about posting this very thing multiple times, but figured it was highly unlikely to get any traction. There is also the like button that people could use.

This is helpful to me, as I have a natural tendency to display my gratitude in person and in writing, and I agree both that I find it rude not to to say thank you and that it clutters firmware threads. Perhaps it would help, if XenForo makes it possible, to add the 🙏 Thanks emoji to the submenu when you hover over or long press the like button.

Perhaps in each first post in a Firmware thread from @FractalAudio there should also be a line of text requesting for users not to include thank you posts, because many users will not have read this thread, so they won't know Cliff's preference.

All kidding aside, I can understand how having many posts in a Beta Testing thread that are related to topics not directly related to the Beta Testing could make it difficult for the developers to squash bugs and get the formal release finished. Therefore, I will be hitting the “like” going forward to “thank” Cliff and the entire team.

I'd also like to clarify from @FractalAudio whether it is appropriate to suggest minor tweaks in beta threads or only to report bugs. I don't know exactly what suggestions in 22.00 beta 6 struck a nerve. We have a wishlist section, but I don't know if that's really the best place for suggestions regarding a beta, since there's still time to tweak before the final release. And the answer might go either way, based on two people who weighed in on this question, but with different views on the topic:

From this post by @GlennO:

The purpose of a beta is to solicit feedback, both positive and negative. Being a beta, there is room to make changes before the production release, so, as a developer, you want to know what things are good and what things are bad. You want to know where you hit the intended target and where you fell short, so you can make changes accordingly. That includes praise, criticism, suggestions, bug reports, and subjective impressions. You're close to the goal line, so there are limits on what changes can be made, but it's important to avoid placing excessive restrictions on what kind of feedback beta testers will provide.

From this post by @Greg Ferguson:

Feature requests don't belong in beta, they come after the final release, then get weighed and incorporated during the next alpha phase; Beta is supposed to focus on stability because new features or extending them could cause the development process to revert back to the alpha phase.

Back
Top Bottom