Can III follow external MIDI Clock through USB MIDI?

Per Boysen

Inspired
I love the tones and effects of my Axe II, but have had a constant issue with the lacking function. Is it fixed now in the Axe III?

Ok, thanks. I need to get an extra physical MIDI (DIN) interface then. If I should upgrade to the III, that is.

@unix-guy, are you saying that tempo-based effects in your Axe-III are able to instantly pick up the tempo, set in BandHelper on your iPad, over USB? If so, this is really good news for me.

@unix-guy, are you saying that tempo-based effects in your Axe-III are able to instantly pick up the tempo, set in BandHelper on your iPad, over USB? If so, this is really good news for me.
Yes.

Effects set to use tempo follow the tempo which in turn follows the incoming beat clock.

Excellent! I'll pick one up asap. :) Thanks.
Be aware that unless you use an official Apple adapter you may have mixed results.

I was using an Amazon lightning to USB B cable and it worked with my older iPad mini 2 and my iPhone. Both worked fine. My newer iPad mini 2 does not work. I assumed it was BandHelper.

I bought FracPad recently and it would not work on the new iPad (and not supported on the older one). So, on recommendation I bought an Apple USB to lightning dongle and now both work totally fine... I can also use voice memo to record directly from the Axe Fx to my phone now.

Edit:

Here's what I bought:

Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter Amazon product ASIN B014VGHG0U

So, that’s what I thought but I can’t get it to appear in Ableton. My other devices appear fine and my FM3 is connecting to the Editor and even appears in Ableton for audio options but not MIDI.

well i just checked and th fm3 does not send midi over usb. it's on the wishlist, apparently. so i don't know how you got it working before....

it doesn't. th fm3 doesn't send midi over usb. that's why it doesn't show up in the list of midi devices in ableton.

I am also struggling with clock sync with FM3 + Ableton.

1. How do you get FM3 to show up in Ableton MIDI ports preferences?
2. In this combination, would Ableton always be the master clock or is there a way to sync to tap tempo on FM3?
3. What is the physical hardware connections you are using? I am currently relying on USB. Do I need a MIDI cable connection?
4. On Mac: is there a configuration step I am missing with Audio/Midi setup app? I do see the FM3 show up as a device in that app.
5. Hearing the metronome in FM3: I can hear it by monitoring directly from FM3 headphone port. I cannot figure out how to hear the metronome over a USB connection to my Mac. I am not hooked up to external speakers. Headphones only.

Too many questions! ...but thanks :)

1. How do you get FM3 to show up in Ableton MIDI ports preferences?
the fm3 does not pass midi over usb

2. In this combination, would Ableton always be the master clock or is there a way to sync to tap tempo on FM3?

3. What is the physical hardware connections you are using? I am currently relying on USB. Do I need a MIDI cable connection?

4. On Mac: is there a configuration step I am missing with Audio/Midi setup app? I do see the FM3 show up as a device in that app.

5. Hearing the metronome in FM3: I can hear it by monitoring directly from FM3 headphone port. I cannot figure out how to hear the metronome over a USB connection to my Mac. I am not hooked up to external speakers. Headphones only.
you'll probably want to use the fm3 as an audio interface and send sound from the mac to it. not the other way way round. open up audio midi setup on the mac and make sure the fm3 appears in the list of audio devices. ctrl-click on it and select "use this device for sound input / output). no whwne you play a video from your browser, or something from itunes etc, you will hear it via headphones plugged into the fm3

Uh, fm3 does not send midi over usb. Got it. Got it.
How does it receive midi clock messages? Standard MIDI cable?

I also have an iPad. Are you using Banhelper app as the master clock for all devices and DAW?

Follow up question:
What is the physical connection or configuration required to get FM3 to show up in Ableton Midi Ports (to enable the sync checkbox)

Thanks!

you'd need to connect the fm3 to a midi usb interface via standard midi cable. then send midi clock to the interface.

Back
Top Bottom