Can headphones out be used with regular outs?

somata

Inspired
From reading the Wiki it seems like the answer would be yes, but just double checking. In other words, could you use the xlr outs to run to front of house and send the headphones out to an in-ear system?

Yes. Fixed to the Output 1 signal.

But why not use the pair of Out1 jacks (can be used simult. with Out1 XLRs), or run a signal from Out2?

Yes, but you don't need to do that. Output 1 volume controls both. There are both XLRs and 1/4 on the back of the Axe-fx. You can use them at the same time. So you can just use the 1/4 outs on the back of the Axe-fx to your in-ear system. Alternatively, if you are not using output2, you can use it for you in-ear system. This would give you independent volume control (not a biggie because yoour IEM system can do that too) and seperate global eq for the IEM out.

Yes, but you don't need to do that. Output 1 volume controls both. There are both XLRs and 1/4 on the back of the Axe-fx. You can use them at the same time. So you can just use the 1/4 outs on the back of the Axe-fx to your in-ear system. Alternatively, if you are not using output2, you can use it for you in-ear system. This would give you independent volume control (not a biggie because yoour IEM system can do that too) and seperate global eq for the IEM out.

Beat ya. :)

Cool, many thanks for the info. Just got my code yesterday and will be ordering in a few weeks (damn truck needs tires first), so I'm starting to be more focused with my research.

A follow-up:

Can one set of outputs have cab emulation and the other no cab emulation? So that you could send the XLR's direct and run the 1/4" to a poweramp and guitar cab? We play all kind of venues, many of which don't have the greatest PA, so it would be good to be able to run it direct when possible, as a half-stack when needed, and both on occassion...

Can one set of outputs have cab emulation and the other no cab emulation? So that you could send the XLR's direct and run the 1/4" to a poweramp and guitar cab? We play all kind of venues, many of which don't have the greatest PA, so it would be good to be able to run it direct when possible, as a half-stack when needed, and both on occassion...
Absolutely... much flexibility built in. However, if you go this route be aware that what you send to FOH/PA will NOT be the same as you hear on stage. This is big deal for some (me!), which is why they (me!) run FRFR on stage - to hear same sound as FOH on stage. Some mic the cab and turn off cab sims in the Axe. Others have a setup similar to yours question. Amps used range from ART and Carvin to Matrix and ... and there's a multitude of different cabs being used.

It comes down to personal preference, budget and what sounds good to you and will make you feel comfortable at a gig. My own setup is OUT1 to FOH and OUT2 to powered Atomic FRFR for stage monitoring. No IEM's except at church, and then its OUT1 only, so all comes back thru the Aviom's.

Just place the effects loop block before any cab sim. That way, the output 2 will have the same sound as output 1 but without the cab sims.

Back
Top Bottom