Cage Match: PRS vs Suhr

If i could get my hands on a Pete Thorn Sig I'd strongly consider that as well. I live in his hometown and met him at a clinic he did for Suhr few years ago. I played his guitar for a few min and it felt real good.

There's one for sale somewhere in Canada on kijiji. Not sure if its in AB or would need shipping but its there haha.

If i could get my hands on a Pete Thorn Sig I'd strongly consider that as well. I live in his hometown and met him at a clinic he did for Suhr few years ago. I played his guitar for a few min and it felt real good.

Check out Humbucker Music. They sell a lot of Suhrs and they usually have Pete Thorn signatures in stock. Great shop to deal with!

I really liked that satin finish limited edition but looking on suhr website I quite like the Modern plus bengal burst. Other than cosmetics it seems these are Basswood body vs Mahogany. Either way I'd stick with the roasted maple necks. They just feel/sound right to me.

Attachments

• suhr guitar.jpeg
    suhr guitar.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 17
I just can't do the crazy PRS finishes and birds. No knock on the guitars, as from my experience they tend to be perfectly made. Nor the people that love them. They just really don't do it for me.

I may eat my words on that someday, but even in a state of perpetual GAS, I never look at them.

I was the same way, but the first one I picked up played so well that I got over it pretty quickly. Now I have three, and I'd definitely consider getting more. They do make some solid color core guitars, too - black, white, goldtops, and the DGT 'Standard' from ~2012 had a nice cherry finish.

I really liked that satin finish limited edition but looking on suhr website I quite like the Modern plus bengal burst. Other than cosmetics it seems these are Basswood body vs Mahogany. Either way I'd stick with the roasted maple necks. They just feel/sound right to me.
That is mine, gorgeous guitar.

Attachments

• IMG_2797.jpeg
    IMG_2797.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 24
I was the same way, but the first one I picked up played so well that I got over it pretty quickly. Now I have three, and I'd definitely consider getting more. They do make some solid color core guitars, too - black, white, goldtops, and the DGT 'Standard' from ~2012 had a nice cherry finish.

Dealers will also get one-offs too. There's a metallic blue custom 24 at our (Canada's) main PRS dealer.

Reactions: ESW
Here's a question for you guitar nerds out there. Do you think there's a discernible difference in 'feel' of a straight up maple neck vs say a Pau Ferro fingerboard? I don't think the tone is that much different or at least negligible in a double blind test...but feel? I want to fly on the neck as much as possible. I imagine maple as it'd be harder and stiffer would accommodate that ,yes?

If i could have both guitars of each to compare that'd be optimal but if i were to order I dont really have that luxury if its not available locally.

Here's a question for you guitar nerds out there. Do you think there's a discernible difference in 'feel' of a straight up maple neck vs say a Pau Ferro fingerboard? I don't think the tone is that much different or at least negligible in a double blind test...but feel? I want to fly on the neck as much as possible. I imagine maple as it'd be harder and stiffer would accommodate that ,yes?

If i could have both guitars of each to compare that'd be optimal but if i were to order I dont really have that luxury if its not available locally.

I think you're mixing terms - do you mean maple board vs pau ferro? Maple comes with a clearcoat so it's going to feel different versus any other material. I've never noticed a hardness difference between maple and rosewood/pau ferro/ebony but the finish is noticeable. I always end up at rosewood.

I think you're mixing terms - do you mean maple board vs pau ferro? Maple comes with a clearcoat so it's going to feel different versus any other material. I've never noticed a hardness difference between maple and rosewood/pau ferro/ebony but the finish is noticeable. I always end up at rosewood.
I mean the fingerboard choices of maple vs pau ferro yeah. I like the aesthetic of the pau ferro on a the bengal burst a tad more than straight up maple.

Completely personal....

I have a PRS CU22, I have a Suhr Modern.... I have a Tom Anderson Cobra S. I also have a custom strat. There all good. They are all personal instruments.

FWIF Ive just sold the suhr (meeting up next week) and am keeping the Tom Anderson (absolutely the best of the 3 = only rivalled by a Tyler I had once) and PRS.

Ive Im 100% honest, Id say the Suhr is a LITTLE behind PRS and a little more behind Andersons in terms of quality, consistency and everything else BUT - certainly in terms of Suhr and PRS - that personal preference for tone and style is a bigger difference. Were talking small amounts on quality instruments.

Oh man, some fellow Modern Pro Bengal Burst owners here, I'm in good company! Here's mine. Best tone guitar I own.

Suhr-Modern.jpg

Suhr-Modern-Case.jpg

Last edited:
I mean the fingerboard choices of maple vs pau ferro yeah. I like the aesthetic of the pau ferro on a the bengal burst a tad more than straight up maple.
Purely cosmetically I think the Pau Ferro is great on the roasted maple neck as the color is quite consistent. I do like the way it feels.

Here's a couple pics of mine:4D503228-EDC5-409A-9F9F-269D377D935B.png9131FC3C-5FA4-475F-89C6-3CEFE90D9B83.png

I also literally just got a Charvel USA Select DK24 that is
as good or better than the Suhr. Same neck materials as the Suhr but I like the profile better:

1794156A-FF37-49E6-93B4-5E7F914FD53C.jpeg

04F37E68-C42D-4ED4-8615-F6C73568092B.jpeg
You might consider them...

If you’re gonna go custom, opt for Reb Beach even C profile. It’s very close if not similar to jp6 neck profile.

Back
Top Bottom