Cage Match: PRS vs Suhr

@unix-guy That Charvel is gorgeous! One store here has a few Charvels and PRS' . On my next day off I'm gonna have to go spend some time trying a few out
The guy I bought mine from just posted an HH version (didn't even know they made one!) on Reverb the other day that looks stunning.

https://reverb.com/item/40331292-ch...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=40331292

They aren't cheap and also don't seem to come up used. The one I bought was only the 2nd I saw used.

If you can play the MIM DK24 you'll have a really good idea of what the USA is like. Overall, the MIM is a steal considering if you don't care about fancy finishes.

Went to my other local guitar shop today. They had a very limited selection of PRS' to try out. S2 Mccarty and Core Mccarty. PRS definitely have a feel to them and i suspect it's like Gibson. You're either a big fan or it doesn't gel. It was good to check out as it reinforces my leanings towards Suhr necks.

Side note: they had a number of music man guitars. I played the L3 HH Floyd. Man that is one comfortable guitar! Also a nice Sabre which was gorgeous , great neck as well. They had a used Cutlass HSS which I would have bought had I not already picked up my Fender Strat few months ago.
They had a $4500 Charvel USA DK24 which looked stunning but the neck was lacking. Fret sprout...perhaps just a climate thing but I would have expected better fret work for a guitar that expensive.

It's so good to get out to the guitar shops and play a few. Only way to really know. You can spend days reading forums and it's just not the same but still fun to discuss.

They had a $4500 Charvel USA DK24 which looked stunning but the neck was lacking. Fret sprout...perhaps just a climate thing but I would have expected better fret work for a guitar that expensive.
That's interesting because I don't even notice any real finish on mine... It's very very subtle.

Even my MIM DK24 has a superb quality neck and frets.

Did you play it to see if you liked the neck profile?

That's interesting because I don't even notice any real finish on mine... It's very very subtle.

Even my MIM DK24 has a superb quality neck and frets.

Did you play it to see if you liked the neck profile?
Fair enough. I didn't plug it in and give it a proper run through but just played it acoustically for a few minutes. The neck was nice in terms of profile and action but there were sharp edges all along the neck. I suspect it's more climate or just a one off thing

Went to my other local guitar shop today. They had a very limited selection of PRS' to try out. S2 Mccarty and Core Mccarty. PRS definitely have a feel to them and i suspect it's like Gibson. You're either a big fan or it doesn't gel. It was good to check out as it reinforces my leanings towards Suhr necks.

Side note: they had a number of music man guitars. I played the L3 HH Floyd. Man that is one comfortable guitar! Also a nice Sabre which was gorgeous , great neck as well. They had a used Cutlass HSS which I would have bought had I not already picked up my Fender Strat few months ago.

It's so good to get out to the guitar shops and play a few. Only way to really know. You can spend days reading forums and it's just not the same but still fun to discuss.
I'm not here to convince you to buy a PRS. Get whatever suits you best, but I don't think a McCarty fits exactly what you've indicated you're looking for. It's like saying 'I want a high end shredder guitar with a fast neck' and picking up an Les Paul.

McCarty's are definitely intended to be the PRS LP equivalent. They have thicker necks compared to the Custom 24's. If it felt chunkier, that's because it was... the Custom 24, Tremonti, P24, etc. doesn't feel like a McCarty. PRS's also have a unique tone when plugged in - I suggest you give that a shot into your favorite amp.

There's a brand new custom colour cu24 at the local dealer with a regular profile vs the usual pattern thin. Im curious, but not committed curious lol.

Browsing this Cosmo music website. NIce selection of guitars. my god, if money wasn't an object this is the one I'd totally get. Gorgeous burl maple finish. $6150. ouch but daaaaamn it fine sexy

Attachments

• guitar.jpg
    guitar.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 33
Browsing this Cosmo music website. NIce selection of guitars. my god, if money wasn't an object this is the one I'd totally get. Gorgeous burl maple finish. $6150. ouch but daaaaamn it fine sexy
They sometimes have blowouts on Suhrs they’ve had in stock for a long time, you might get lucky. I got mine or just over $3k Canadian

Check in stock vs listed too.

They sometimes have blowouts on Suhrs they’ve had in stock for a long time, you might get lucky. I got mine or just over $3k Canadian

Not sure that'll be the blowout price any time soon haha.

Chewie, check out Lauzon music in Ottawa too. And do canada-wide kijiji searches.

For anyone who has experience with the PRS CE 22/Custom 22 vs 24's ...can you comment on the neck. Is the fret spacing identical or does it shrink at all with a 24? I can't get my hands on any of these locally right now to check for myself and waiting for some to come in.

For anyone who has experience with the PRS CE 22/Custom 22 vs 24's ...can you comment on the neck. Is the fret spacing identical or does it shrink at all with a 24? I can't get my hands on any of these locally right now to check for myself and waiting for some to come in.

Well the scale length doesnt change, so somewhere theres gonna be shorter frets.

I mean, the distance between the frets is going to be the same if the scale length is the same, otherwise the intonation would be totally off. The two extra frets are obviously going to have a shorter distance between them.

The main problem with the newer CE is the Korean hardware and awful pickups. Always buy second hand with PRS as the value takes a big hit and most ones available have lived in the case. The old wide /fat neck shape is one of my favourites .
With Suhr the prices seem a bit on the high side but they do keep their value should you decide to swap it at a later date and again buy second hand because someone else takes the hit and most of these also are case queens.

some new arrivals at my local shop. Few PRS models i tried: Custom 24 SE and a 24-08. I was mostly looking forward to trying out the Suhr modern plus but for me the real winner was this new Pete Thorn sig model they brought in. It really stood out in feel and sound for me. It is so incredibly balanced..those pickups are amazing and the body/neck just feels so good. I'm still considering all options but this Pete Thorn has me jonesing bad just the price tag holds me back. I've also pretty much decided to keep my JP15 as its fantastic. I was also thinking the PRS SE Custom 24 and upgrade locking tuners and most likely swap out the pickups if i were to get it. The finished neck though isn't my favourite but I could always sand it. It was a nice feeling guitar overall.

Attachments

• suhr blue.jpg
    suhr blue.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • Suhr Pete.jpg
    Suhr Pete.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom