Cage Match: PRS vs Suhr

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
These are two brands I'm not intimately familiar with. I've been considering selling my Ernie Ball Music Man JP15 for sometime. I'd want to move to something that is in the same wheelhouse of quality and feel. The JP15 is in amazing guitar. I love the piezo. I just keep bumping into the knob configurations. The pickup selector switch location drives me nuts with where my hands tend to rest. I also love love love the neck of the music man. I believe its 17" radius. I have monstrous hands. the JP15 does feel very comfortable vs my Axis which feels like a kids guitar in my hands.

So, with that in mind what guitar can you recommend in either camp of PRS and Suhr. School me! These are the two main guitar makers I'm interested in but feel free to throw the odd audible in here. Im looking for versatility in tones. A slick fast neck for lead. I sit comfortably in classic and hard rock. But to have nice cleans /coil split is important to me also.

Trem: I'd like a trem but not a double locking nut style. Not really wanting stop tail. I dont need to do any crazy dive bombing tricks as I have other guitars for that.

Last edited:
I've owned 2 PRS CE24's, and currently have a PRS CU24 - and before that many different guitars. Never played a Suhr, but obviously they're top quality. I've read the build quality of EBMM, PRS, and Suhr are all pretty comparable though.

If you're looking for a PRS, with your monsterous hands, you may want a Pattern neck - read about the differences here:https://prsguitars.com/index.php/support/article/neck_profiles#:~:text=Perfected after years of prototyping, the new "Pattern",from the late 70’s to the mid 80’s.

I love my PRS. Plays awesome, feels great, tone knob and pickup selector provides a wide variety of tones. It is actually my only guitar. I don't feel the need to own another one. I play similar music as you. Mine has the 57/08 pickups which were supposed to mimic the Gibson PAF humbuckers, with a Pattern Thin neck (for my non-monsterous hands).

I have some preferences that I'd like to change, but nothing major. I prefer satin/natural necks, but the PRS is painted - so i need to polish the neck to keep the hands from sticking - but when polished the neck is smooth and fast like you're asking for. Some people don't have this issue with painted necks. It's not a dealbreaker for me though.

Let's put it this way - If I had my pick of the litter for my next guitar - it'd be a PRS (Probably an older Alder body PRS).

You’ve got great taste in guitars! I’ve been through many JP models and had a BFR Axis. All great instruments but I never really bonded with their sound until I got a Majesty. Those pickups are perfect for my ears. Unfortunately, my Majesty had a bad dead spot where on the 12th fret G string, the notes would die after a second. I understand that dead spots can happen on any guitar but after spending over 3k, I do expect the instrument to not have any missing notes.

I’ve also went through a series of PRS from the CEs, Single-cuts, 408, etc... Again, great guitars and I thought I’d be buried with my 408. They all sounded good but they didn’t sound exactly as I wanted.

The guitars that I have now are a Suhr Modern carved top, Les Paul 58’ Reissue, and a Strandberg Boden Original. The Suhr checks off everything that I’m looking for in quality, feel, and the missing link of sounding right. My R8 is also a keeper (after going through five other LPs) because to my ears, it has ”that sound” and is just an incredible instrument. The neck is really fat but I can play it just as fast as any other guitar.
Finally, my new Number One is the Strandberg. It’s the most comfortable guitar I’ve ever had, all of the pickup positions are actually usable, and it’s wildly unique.

Hmm, after reading what I wrote, I don’t think this is going to help you at all. 😁

Custom 24s are pattern thin and it sounds like that's more what you're after. Im a wide fat/pattern/pattern vintage guy myself and iirc thats what i have between an s2, 594 and hollowbody. I find them all comfortable for speed and chording.

If you want piezo, I would look for a used p22 or p24.

You mentioned the Trem - I usually don't use my trem, but when I do it stays in tune even when dive bombing or satriani style squeals, so I'm sure it'll be good for you too (Based on my Custom 24 trem, which is the Gen 2 PRS trem. There's a new Gen3 out now).

You’ve got great taste in guitars! I’ve been through many JP models and had a BFR Axis. All great instruments but I never really bonded with their sound until I got a Majesty. Those pickups are perfect for my ears. Unfortunately, my Majesty had a bad dead spot where on the 12th fret G string, the notes would die after a second. I understand that dead spots can happen on any guitar but after spending over 3k, I do expect the instrument to not have any missing notes.

I’ve also went through a series of PRS from the CEs, Single-cuts, 408, etc... Again, great guitars and I thought I’d be buried with my 408. They all sounded good but they didn’t sound exactly as I wanted.

The guitars that I have now are a Suhr Modern carved top, Les Paul 58’ Reissue, and a Strandberg Boden Original. The Suhr checks off everything that I’m looking for in quality, feel, and the missing link of sounding right. My R8 is also a keeper (after going through five other LPs) because to my ears, it has ”that sound” and is just an incredible instrument. The neck is really fat but I can play it just as fast as any other guitar.
Finally, my new Number One is the Strandberg. It’s the most comfortable guitar I’ve ever had, all of the pickup positions are actually usable, and it’s wildly unique.

Hmm, after reading what I wrote, I don’t think this is going to help you at all. 😁
I've been reading around and watching some vids on the various models and already leaning towards the 408 or even 509's. PRS has some great pickup configs. @Budda I see they dont really do piezo on their current models other than the hollow body so yeah, perhaps an older P24. I gotta learn more about their neck shapes and hit up my guitar shop and hold a few to get a feel for the differences.

Next question: 22 vs 24 frets?

Among my (embarrassingly large) pile of guitars, the two standouts are (1) a Suhr SSS strat model, and (2) a Strandberg Boden neck-through (HSH config). The Suhr is the finest traditional-build guitar that I own. It's balanced, has incredible tone and sustain, and feels like the best characteristics of all the great strats that I've played in my life. The thin nitro finish, SS frets, and hardware are perfectly in character. The pickups are lovely. I have played a number of incredible PRS models, and while I love them, the Suhr is my preference.

The Strandberg is a playable work of art. It's astonishing that something so radical looking can be so easy to play. Killer tone (Suhr pickups are standard on my model), and perfect action. The multiscale fretboard and angular neck profile seem like they'd take time to get used to; within five minutes of noodling around on it, that guitar felt like an extension of my body.

I just installed a set of those in my CE-24. They really brought the guitar to life.
Was it a newer CE or one of the older ones with the HFS/Vintage Bass or Dragon pickups?

My old CE's were late 90's early 2000 CE's. The build quality was great, and I loved the HFS/Vintage Bass pickups for metal/hard rock. A little hotter than the 57/08's I currently have. But the 57/08's have better dynamics and strong midrange. I think they're great.... did A/B tests with my bro-in-law's Tremonti signature PRS in the past. The Tremonti was hotter, reminded me of the HFS/VB combo.... but anyway, all the pickups are awesome, can't go wrong with any of the ones I listed. PRS does everything very well.

Was it a newer CE or one of the older ones with the HFS/Vintage Bass or Dragon pickups?

My old CE's were late 90's early 2000 CE's. The build quality was great, and I loved the HFS/Vintage Bass pickups for metal/hard rock. A little hotter than the 57/08's I currently have. But the 57/08's have better dynamics and strong midrange. I think they're great.... did A/B tests with my bro-in-law's Tremonti signature PRS in the past. The Tremonti was hotter, reminded me of the HFS/VB combo.... but anyway, all the pickups are awesome, can't go wrong with any of the ones I listed. PRS does everything very well.
Mine is a 2009, so it has the Pattern Thin, deep violin carve, better bridge, and the HFS/VB.

I always felt the HFS/VB were too compressed and had no dynamics with lower gain. The 57/08’s may be a tad too timid for my tastes. But that’s nothing that can’t be added through the signal chain. They are just so dynamic and really let the sound of the guitar come through. It doesn’t really nail the LP thing, especially with having 24 frets, but it’s close enough for me and plays amazing.

Mine is a 2009, so it has the Pattern Thin, deep violin carve, better bridge, and the HFS/VB.

I always felt the HFS/VB were too compressed and had no dynamics with lower gain. The 57/08’s may be a tad too timid for my tastes. But that’s nothing that can’t be added through the signal chain. They are just so dynamic and really let the sound of the guitar come through. It doesn’t really nail the LP thing, especially with having 24 frets, but it’s close enough for me and plays amazing.

I feel the exact same way - signal boost takes care of the more 'timid' output.

My theory is that the 25" scale length makes it sound different from the LP (24.5"). I prefer the 25" scale, sounds smoother to me.

Glad you like it man

I have and have had a few PRS. What I've had and sold is:
  • 408 - loved the pickups but I didn't like the 3 way blade switch, see replacement below.
  • 509 - loved everything about the guitar except the humbucker bridge tones that I live on 90%+ of the times. I think if you're mainly a single coil player and sometimes play on humbuckers this could be perfect. The one I had was a "wood library" one with maple neck. Maybe if it had a mahogany neck it would have been closer to home for me. I even contemplated cutting out some wood to fit a normal humbucker in this one but sold it instead.
  • SC58 - a 2012 model that's PRS's take on a 58 Les Paul. Mine was supposed to be in a "black gold" colour but it just looked dirty brown to me. See replacement below.
  • Custom 22. The bread and butter PRS and my first one. See replacement below.
What I still own:
  • Signature Limited - before the 408, Paul did a limited run of 400 guitars with the 408 pickups and a 3 way toggle instead of a blade that I much prefer. I've added piezo saddles to mine and this is just an awesome guitar that really can do it all. Love it.
  • 594 - Pauls take on a vintage Les Paul but in a double cut format. They are awesome. I loved it so much I then also got a:
  • 594 Single Cut - Even closer to a vintage Les Paul. I'm not a fan of the 58/15LT pickups in the 594's but some people love them. I have Bare Knuckle The Mule in mine and they work perfectly. Realistically I could easily do without the Single Cut but I don't need to sell anything so I'm keeping it, at least for now.
  • P245 Semi Hollow - My first guitar I got with a PRS Piezo. It's a single cut model with 24.5" scale length and I've added a Freeway switch to mine that together with the Bare Knuckle Abraxas and a push pull pot some 9 usable electrical sounds and a piezo. It's great but I just prefer double cuts these days. I could sell this one but don't need to so it's staying.
  • Custom 22 Piezo - this is the modern model of what used to be called the P22 and it's so far the only guitar I've ordered and spec'd out myself so mine has a solid rosewood neck, ebony fretboard and artist grade top. I love the feeling of the solid rosewood neck. Between this and the 408, this is almost certainly what I'm taking to a gig (well, both with one as a backup for the other).
I also have a Suhr strat. Mine is a S1 Pro model from 2007 and it's a great guitar. I have a Bare Knuckle Crawler in the bridge and DiMarzio area (noiseless) pickups in the neck and middle. And yeah, I know the noiseless pickups are not the best single coil pickups in the world but I'm not a strat aficionado so they do me just fine. I've also wired mine so that position 1 is humbucker series and 2 is humbucker parallel so faux bridge single coil so can cover a lot of ground.

What I would recommend:

I'd recommend the 2012 Signature Limited or the Custom 22 Piezo. I'm sorry, I've never owned a 24 fret guitar so can't comment on 22 vs 24. For me, I prefer the 25" scale length as the sort of middle ground between a strat and a Les Paul and it feels both of these can do it all.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
I've been reading around and watching some vids on the various models and already leaning towards the 408 or even 509's. PRS has some great pickup configs. @Budda I see they dont really do piezo on their current models other than the hollow body so yeah, perhaps an older P24. I gotta learn more about their neck shapes and hit up my guitar shop and hold a few to get a feel for the differences.

Next question: 22 vs 24 frets?
FWIW, I love my PRS 408! I have several guitars and it is easily my #1. Good luck in your search!

I own a prs standard 24 and EBMM JPXI/13 and I would have to say the prs is quite a different guitar from the EBMM. If you like music man go Suhr modern. The 25" scale on the PRS may be cumbersome for your large hands.

Last edited:
I've got a very nice Suhr Modern and a PRS CE-24.

I prefer everything about the Suhr in comparison but the PRS is still a quite nice guitar (and probably a CU24 would be a more fair comparison).

I'm actually thinking of putting some Suhr Thornbuckers in the PRS :)

I had a Suhr Modern which was probably the best six-string I've ever had, although I've never played a PRS they seem to be great guitars. Don't sleep on Mayones either, I had a 7-string Regius that was freaking beautiful, and now I have a 7-string Hydra Elite (shown in my profile photo). I've never played a Mayones 6 but I have to believe that they are very comparable with the Suhr.

I can't comment on the Suhr, but I've owned a CU-24 and now a Santana Brazilian. Both are great, but I tend to play my Jacksons more, because they have bigger frets and flatter fretboard radii. I think all PRS's have rounder radii (10-12") other than the Mark Holcombe (I think that's 20"). Some of the Suhr Moderns have a 16" radius if this is important to you.

Awesome thread. Lots of great points for me to consider. I really just need to get to the guitar shop and try a few of each. Last night I picked up my EVH striped which I believe is pretty close to a charvel style neck /body and man does it feel comfortable. I have a feeling the Suhr's would have a neck that suits me more

Back
Top Bottom