Cage Match: PRS vs Suhr

thanks for the tip. Yeah the guitar looks to be in good shape based on pics. Though no bird inlays? I guess some older runs had just the dot inlays..may check this guitar out

They were optional for a while - not sure when it became standard. here's a history https://mooreguitars.com/prs-model-history/

and of course if someone disagrees with my assessment - chime in.

Go to the PRS Guitar forums and poke around on there if you have more questions.

New USA PRS > Used USA PRS (Custom or OLDER CE Models) > New USA CE Model > New S2 Model
I figure if I'm going to keep my JP15 I don't need another on par model like a USA Core. At this point my thinking is PRS lower level guitar that i'm strictly using for alternate tunings/down tuned/drop B. I think an S2 would be more than adequate, quality-wise, to serve this purpose. Perhaps even a stop tail.

I'm considering keeping my JP15 and selling my 7 string PRS towards a PRS S2 model or something used. There is a 93' PRS Custom 24 10 top for sale locally. looks nice though I have no real idea of its relative worth. $2400 CAD asking price.

Some people feel pre '95 (pre factory move) are better built or have some mojo. It's priced decently for that as well as being a core model (a new cu24 is $4800?). That's the charcoal one, right? If it's got the case and hang tag and you find it comfortable, buy it. Shouldn't have too hard a time selling on reverb or trading for something else.

FWIW, my S2 satin is more comfortable than my MC594 lol. It's lighter too.

Last summer I was torn between the Custom 24 and the Suhr Modern, after trying them in a local dealer that has a lot of great guitars in stock here in Munich, I ended up purchasing a Suhr Modern Bengal, with roasted maple, which I love on. every almost every aspect, I just find the neck pickup a bit underwhelming (I think it is a bit output balanced vs the bridge pup). I tried several PRS Custom 24 and despite being nice, I could not find them so much better than my PRS SE, which I find fantastic, so I ended up being the Suhr.

I'll eventually get a PRS Core, but not a Custom 24, or at least no one with the 85/15 combo, not really a fan of it so far.

If the pickups are the only thing you dont like, just swap them.
Exactly.

Funny enough, my CU22 has Suhr Thornbuckers in it. So you can get yourself the best of both companies...Fantastic combo! :) I like the DGT pickups but otherwise I don’t bond with PRS pickups much.

If the pickups are the only thing you dont like, just swap them.
Yeah I know, I have different pups in my guitars, swap them myself, it is just for these high end I want to have them stock, it is only an stupid habit I wanna keep.

Yeah I know, I have different pups in my guitars, swap them myself, it is just for these high end I want to have them stock, it is only an stupid habit I wanna keep.

Seems like the habit isnt serving you. If you love everything else about the guitar, why pass it up over something that's easily solved?

The Custom 24 Core was not much better than the SE I already own, to that one I may change the pups. The neck pup of the Suhr is not that bad, just not that good as the bridge to my ears.

Today off work and went to the one shop in town that carries a few Suhr's. I had one of those rare experiences in a guitar store where you sit down and really bond with the instrument. Suhr modern is the guitar for me. The neck is perfect for my large hands and immediately i was playing better. I may be picking one of these up today so which one (both same model) do you like better for the finish??! Also, a total pleasure playing through a Friedman. I nearly forgot what it sounds like playing through an actual cab. Moving air really does add something. These are Modern Satin Flame Limited Edition HSH 510. natural vs island burst

Attachments

• Suhr.jpg
    Suhr.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • Suhr1.jpg
    Suhr1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
Today off work and went to the one shop in town that carries a few Suhr's. I had one of those rare experiences in a guitar store where you sit down and really bond with the instrument. Suhr modern is the guitar for me. The neck is perfect for my large hands and immediately i was playing better. I may be picking one of these up today so which one (both same model) do you like better for the finish??! Also, a total pleasure playing through a Friedman. I nearly forgot what it sounds like playing through an actual cab. Moving air really does add something. These are Modern Satin Flame Limited Edition HSH 510. natural vs island burst

I prefer the natural finished one. That island burst style finish doesn't do anything for me and I have a feeling it will look very dated in a few years. Natural finish is a classic that will always be in vogue.

Going and playing the instrument yourself beats anything we can say on a forum - glad to hear you're on your way!

As for which we prefer, don't listen to us. Go with your gut.

Enjoy the guitar buying process. You get to play high end instruments with no strings attached (pun intended), with full intent on buying one instead of just being a tire kicker like most of us.

I'd go for the natural finish. The flame looks a bit nicer to me and the neck looks to be just a touch darker (maybe just due to lighting). If at all unsure, I'd just let my ears and hands decide. (How it sounds unplugged and feel of the fretboard and neck.)
Going and playing the instrument yourself beats anything we can say on a forum - glad to hear you're on your way!

As for which we prefer, don't listen to us. Go with your gut.

Enjoy the guitar buying process. You get to play high end instruments with no strings attached (pun intended), with full intent on buying one instead of just being a tire kicker like most of us.
Excellent advice! Just ignore my post. ;-]

Natural by me, of that's really the biggest difference. Do they feel or sound different? It's really great you can try them, and that you liked them.

So no purchase today..was hoping to negotiate a deal with the shop for my JP15 but I'll post a private ad for that and use the proceeds towards Suhr. I played both of those suhr's and though they are identical there was a slight difference in tone/feel between the two. No two woods are exact so that accounts for something and the action likely accounted for the other. I just love the width of the neck and i think the string spacing which seems slightly wider than my JP15. Either way my sights are set on a Suhr Modern. I was leaning towards the plain satin finish. classic look.

The natural looks better to me. I usually go for the more bling-y colors but in this case I prefer the natural.

Reminds me of the Govan Charvel.

I really like the Thornbuckers. How do the DGT pickups compare to the Thornbuckers?
Thornbuckers have more clarity and better balance. They split just as well if not slightly better than DGTs. The DGTs are thicker in the lower mids. Personally I prefer the Thornbuckers in my PRS guitars except for my DGT... makes sense. :)

Back
Top Bottom