Cables TRS or TS ???

aliveinvain

Hello I am getting some expression pedals to connect to my AX8 Do I need to use TRS or TS cables to connect them to the AX8 Unit?

I am new to all this please forgive the ignorance.

C.

How do plan to connect this chain? From what into what? Since those are effect pedals just a regular patch cable between guitar, pedals, and AX8.

Just curious: Have you tried the AX8 amps and pedals first to see if you even want to connect the VH4 and Micro pedal?

Well so far I just want two pedals the Diezel VH4 Distortion pedal and the MXR Micro Amp Gain Pedal.
I believe there is already a Micro Amp modeled in the Drive block.

To clarify your original question, were you in fact talking about expression pedals or effects pedals? They are very different things...

Effects pedals alter the audio signal, where as expression pedals alter settings within effects pedals (or other audio devices such as the AX-8.

How do plan to connect this chain? From what into what? Since those are effect pedals just a regular patch cable between guitar, pedals, and AX8.

Just curious: Have you tried the AX8 amps and pedals first to see if you even want to connect the VH4 and Micro pedal?

Well thats the thing I am not sure. I'm pretty new to all this. I presume as you mentioned is how I would to it.

Here is all the things I wanna connect to the AX8

I have two fractal expression pedals. One for Wah and the other for volume control.

I currently have two effects pedals the VH4 and the Micro amp

What would this chain look like? I know for the fractal expression pedals I need TRS cables. But for the effects pedals do I also need TRS cables or TS cables?

Your help would be appreciated.

C.

To clarify your original question, were you in fact talking about expression pedals or effects pedals? They are very different things...

Effects pedals alter the audio signal, where as expression pedals alter settings within effects pedals (or other audio devices such as the AX-8.

To clarify I am talking about effects pedals. I want to connect two effect pedals the micro amp pedal and the Diezel VH4 Distortion pedal.

I am wondering what this chain would look like. As in what connects to what?

Again, I am new to all this.

C.

To clarify I am talking about effects pedals. I want to connect two effect pedals the micro amp pedal and the Diezel VH4 Distortion pedal.

Again, I am new to all this.

C.
Ok... "new to all this" could mean numerous things :)

Can you elaborate? What gear are you used to using? How did you connect it?

Some simple answers to get you started:

For "normal" effects pedals such as drive pedals, use TS cables.

To start with, plug your guitar into the input of one drive pedal, plug the output of that pedal into the input of the other drive pedal. Now plug the output of the second drive pedal into the input of your AX-8.

There are other ways to do it, but that's a bit more advanced and depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

The simplest way is to connect your guitar to one effects pedal, connect that pedal to your other effects pedal, and then connect the second effects pedal to the instrument input of your AX8. Use plain old guitar gables (TS) for this.

I predict that your Micro Amp gain pedal will be the first to go. It's just a level boost, and there are a dozen ways to boost level in the AX8. But don't worry about that now. Go ahead and hook it up. Get comfortable with the AX8 using what you're familiar with. You can make changes later.

You can connect those effect pedals a couple ways. The first is in line before the AX8:

Guitar - TS cable - Effect Pedal - TS cable - Effect Pedal - TS cable - AX8 In1

The second is through the AX8 effects loop:

AX8 Out2 L - TS cable - Effect Pedal - TS cable - Effect Pedal - TS cable - AX8 In2 L

The expression pedals are each connected using a single TRS cable to an AX8 Pedal port (1, 2, 3, or 4).

Replying to myself... Definitely a Micro Amp:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ls-micro-boost-based-on-mxr-micro-amp.123367/

You can connect those effect pedals a couple ways. The first is in line before the AX8:

Guitar - TS cable - Effect Pedal - TS cable - Effect Pedal - TS cable - AX8 In1

The second is through the AX8 effects loop:

AX8 Out2 L - TS cable - Effect Pedal - TS cable - Effect Pedal - TS cable - AX8 In2 L

The expression pedals are each connected using a single TRS cable to an AX8 Pedal port (1, 2, 3, or 4).

Thank you for that!
I have not been able to find any tutorials on the FX Loop block for the AX8 except for one that I think is in Portuguese.
Lol
Your info was very helpful. :)

Since you're asking questions like this please, for the love of God, RTFM before you shoot your eye out.

Seriously, if you don't know difference between an expression pedal and an effects pedal, you need to educate yourself.

I did.
They don't mention that the cables from the effects send / return needs to be ts.
At least, I didn't find that info on the FX Loop block pages.
I only have one EV pedal, and I use that for other things.
I'm going to take an old Ernie Ball volume pedal, and use that as a master volume between the AX8 and my frfr wedge.
Just for now.
I think it would be easier than having to constantly reach into the back of the wedge to set L/R levels for rehearsal.

I did.
They don't mention that the cables from the effects send / return needs to be ts.
At least, I didn't find that info on the FX Loop block pages.
I only have one EV pedal, and I use that for other things.
I'm going to take an old Ernie Ball volume pedal, and use that as a master volume between the AX8 and my frfr wedge.
Just for now.
I think it would be easier than having to constantly reach into the back of the wedge to set L/R levels for rehearsal.
It says unbalanced. Unbalanced means TS cables which are unbalanced. The jacks are also labeled as unbalanced. Just letting you know the info is there. Your pedals also use TS cables, as they always have, so you wouldn’t suddenly need to use TRS, because they wouldn’t work with your pedals anymore.

Back
Top Bottom