Fractal Audio DRIVE models: Micro Boost (based on MXR Micro Amp)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The contents of this thread, including updates, are available as a PDF Guide. Download it here.

MicroAmp-11.png

Micro Boost: based on MXR Micro Amp

The Micro Boost model is based on MXR’s Micro Amp, an opamp-driven clean boost pedal.

MXR, now owned by Jim Dunlop, was one of the largest effects makers in the 70s - 80s. Several of their products are considered classics: Dynacomp, Phase 90 and 100, Flanger etc.

Slamming the input of an amp with a boost pedal often leads to better results than putting an overdrive in front of it, because the increased distortion is more natural and transparent and the tone gets fatter. It enhances the characteristics of the amp instead of changing it.

This Tone Report article discusses the basics of the use of electronical components in pedals: resistors, capacitators, transistors, diodes, ICs / op-amps. Makes you realize how cool it is that Fractal Audio has modeled all of these digitally to obtain the same functionality and sound!​

We’ve got more boost models to our disposal such as the Esoteric RCB (RC Booster), FAS Boost, FET Boost and FET Preamp. Other “boosting” possibilities are described in the FAS Boost thread.

MXR:
“Adding a preset amount of gain with just a single control, the Micro Amp is a great way to boost your signal for lead work or adjust between two different guitars with unmatched output (i.e. humbuckers to single-coils). It can also provide a permanent boost in a long effects chain where signal drop off is a problem.”

The Micro Amp was one of the first of its kind. It doesn’t provided overdrive of its own (no clipping), it just ups the signal level, often causing the amp to generate more overdrive. While many boost pedals claiming to be transparent still add color of their own to the sound, the Micro Amp really is quite neutral (maybe adding just a touch of treble) and so is its model.

Keith Barr (president and co-founder of MXR), when asked about the Micro Amp (source: Analog Man's Guide to Vintage Effects):
"That was one of the later boxes that we didn't really care about."

The model’s Clip Type is “Opamp”. The pedal’s only control is:
  • Gain: adds up to 26dB to the signal. It’s not clear if the control has been replicated in the model’s Drive or Level parameter, but the result is quite the same.
Personal note:
Certainly a useful pedal in an all-analog rig. But the pedal and model are so neutral that IMHO we can obtain similar results in our digital devices by adding a VOL block before the AMP block, or by increasing Input Trim in the Amp block, without the burden of a Drive model on CPU usage.

About CPU:
  • Fractal Audio's Drive models take up varying amounts of CPU. The Micro Boost requires a moderate amount.
  • When a Drive block is engaged, CPU percentage will rise during playing, because CPU usage is "amplitude dependent".

Link to the list of published threads

Last edited:
IIRC - The MXR Micro Amp used to be a staple in our own Mark Day's old analog rig ! I think later on he swapped it out for a Suhr Koko Boost, but in the beginning it was the good 'ol MXR ( I think ) ....

Check a couple of his oldest Rig-Rundowns and I bet you find it ! ;)

I use "Micro Boost" a lot for a small boost with low-tuned presets , it's more transparent than od808, sounds great!

Gain: adds up to 26dB to the signal. It’s not clear if the control has been replicated in the model’s Drive or Level parameter, but the result is quite the same.

I did not try, but I do not think it's the same, one of "Level" or "Gain" must have a neutral position. Even Boss FA-1, it has only "Volume", "Level" or "Gain" must have a neutral position, such as Class A amplifiers have the Master to 10 by default.
I hope that my English is understandable

The model’s Clip Type is “Opamp”. The pedal’s only control is:
Gain: adds up to 26dB to the signal. It’s not clear if the control has been replicated in the model’s Drive or Level parameter, but the result is quite the same.
@FractalAudio excuse me for resurrecting this old thread but in these days there isn't much to do... so what is it then: is it the Drive or the Level that replicates this pedals only control? Also, should you then have the other parameter at max or at noon to be neutral?

Back
Top Bottom