Cab-Lab 4 (SPDIF) output config help

I have a similar setup, using SPDIF into an RME UCX II, and my monitors are connected to the RME UCX II output. My guitar is connected to the front instrument input on the Axe-FX III. Here are my settings in Cab Lab.

Output device: RME UCX II
Input device: RME UCX II
Active output channels: Analog 1+2 (monitors are connected here)
Active input channels: SPDIF L+R (Axe-FX III SPDIF output is connected here)

Click the Connect button at the top and select the Axe-FX III.

Then in the lower-left Audition area use SW Live Mode. Click the gear icon that shows up to the right SW Live Mode. Click the "Do It!" button in step 3.

Make sure on the Apollo 8 mixer that you are not monitoring the SPDIF input live. I usually have it set up that way so that I hear the Axe-FX III through my monitors. Disable/mute that if you do the same, otherwise you'll hear both the Axe-FX direct sound (which now has the cab disabled) and the Cab Lab output at the same time.
At last it worked for me! I did try this scenario before but I realised that I had to restart cablab4 after making changes to inputs-outputs.

Also I had to mute the spdif input signal.

I have a similar setup, using SPDIF into an RME UCX II, and my monitors are connected to the RME UCX II output. My guitar is connected to the front instrument input on the Axe-FX III. Here are my settings in Cab Lab.

Output device: RME UCX II
Input device: RME UCX II
Active output channels: Analog 1+2 (monitors are connected here)
Active input channels: SPDIF L+R (Axe-FX III SPDIF output is connected here)

Click the Connect button at the top and select the Axe-FX III.

Then in the lower-left Audition area use SW Live Mode. Click the gear icon that shows up to the right SW Live Mode. Click the "Do It!" button in step 3.

Make sure on the Apollo 8 mixer that you are not monitoring the SPDIF input live. I usually have it set up that way so that I hear the Axe-FX III through my monitors. Disable/mute that if you do the same, otherwise you'll hear both the Axe-FX direct sound (which now has the cab disabled) and the Cab Lab output at the same time.
Brilliant, thanks! I completely overlooked SPDIF live input. Works great now, YAY!!

I confirm that the dry "uncabbed" signal is still present on the spdif output in SW Live Mode. Any news if this can/will be fixed?
For now I'm selecting OUT2 for the spdif source and route cab-lab to that output as a workaround

Last edited:
I confirm that the dry "uncabbed" signal is still present on the spdif output in SW Live Mode. Any news if thias can/will be fixed?
For now I'm selecting OUT2 for the spdif source and route cab-lab to that output as a workaround
Mute the direct signal on your interface

Mute the direct signal on your interface
That works only if I select my other interface in cab-lab, but I have a few reasons to not do that in my workflow.
Anyway, as I said, I already have a workaround, so no biggie, just would be nice to have this fixed if/when possible.

This is driving me crazy on my Axe III. Even with the latest firmware I can't get cablab to play nice with the Axe III as the audio interface and spdif as my headphone amp output.

I muted and unmuted the audio input and nothing works. Any suggestions? Remember, I'm using the III was the interface input and output.

This is driving me crazy on my Axe III. Even with the latest firmware I can't get cablab to play nice with the Axe III as the audio interface and spdif as my headphone amp output.

I muted and unmuted the audio input and nothing works. Any suggestions? Remember, I'm using the III was the interface input and output.
There are already suggested workarounds for this bug in this same thread, for example this:

Back
Top Bottom