Cab-Lab 4 (SPDIF) output config help

Home Skillet

Inspired
I just purchased Cab-Lab 4 and have gone through the manual and watched videos on how to configure Cab-Lab 4 with the Axe-FXIII. I've set it to SW Live Mode, selected the Input/Output to the Axe-FXIII, disabled the Cab block in the preset, and confirmed bypass/mute was not enabled. But after selecting a cab/mic, I can still hear the bypassed cab sound along with the DynaCab or even a single IR. Even when muting the speaker slot, I'm still hearing the sound of the bypassed cab block sound from my preset. I hope there's something I missed in the configuration. If anyone could give me some tips please, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks y'all!

I just purchased Cab-Lab 4 and have gone through the manual and watched videos on how to configure Cab-Lab 4 with the Axe-FXIII. I've set it to SW Live Mode, selected the Input/Output to the Axe-FXIII, disabled the Cab block in the preset, and confirmed bypass/mute was not enabled. But after selecting a cab/mic, I can still hear the bypassed cab sound along with the DynaCab or even a single IR. Even when muting the speaker slot, I'm still hearing the sound of the bypassed cab block sound from my preset. I hope there's something I missed in the configuration. If anyone could give me some tips please, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks y'all!

Also, I'm on a MacBook Pro on 12.7 Monterey. I'm using the SPDIF output into a headphone amp and using IEM's.

The audio, when using SW live mode is coming from the cab lab program itself, not from your preset. You need to route audio --from cab lab-- to your Interface.

In the SW Live mode, you can select the output to be your interface instead, make sure the test tone is heard --from your interface--.

If you're still having trouble, use HW mode instead and you'll just have to send the cabinet to your unit after every adjustment

The audio, when using SW live mode is coming from the cab lab program itself, not from your preset. You need to route audio --from cab lab-- to your Interface.

In the SW Live mode, you can select the output to be your interface instead, make sure the test tone is heard --from your interface--.

If you're still having trouble, use HW mode instead and you'll just have to send the cabinet to your unit after every adjustment
I am on the same boat... tried to use my Interface as an output and still the same bad results. I can't understand, I tried everything!!!

Firstly, thanks for all your videos and YT content! I've been watching them for a couple of years now.

Secondly, I'm confused, I thought I could use the AxeFXIII as an audio interface here. I can even hear the test tone via AxeFX.

Firstly, thanks for all your videos and YT content! I've been watching them for a couple of years now.

Secondly, I'm confused, I thought I could use the AxeFXIII as an audio interface here. I can even hear the test tone via AxeFX.
Yes, you can...

Did you perform the Setup Wizard for SW Live Mode?

Which version of Cab-Lab do you have?

yes, you can do this, and in my opinion is much easier. However, you said you're using the SPDIF out into a headphone amp to hear your tones.

I would recommend, for the sake of ease, use the headphone jack on the front of the AxeFX and/or studio monitors and then follow the setup wizard in cab lab. Disregard the use of SPDIF if you can't get it working correctly.

You can monitor CabLab through the Axe III. In CabLab 4, in the 'Save & Export' section (bottom left), select 'HW Manual' in the 'AUDITION' menu then click on the Gear Icon. Select 'Hardware Audition Setup' at the top and select a preset in step #1, then click on 'DO IT!' in step #2. CabLab 4 will make the adjustments to the preset for you.

Before you hear any sound, as Rosh said, you will need to send the IR to the Axe III manually by pressing the 'Send' button. You will need to do this after every adjustment in CabLab 4 when you want to hear the changes.

The Software Audition added too much latency in my setup so I use the Hardware Audition exclusively.

I've wasted too much time trying to get this to work. Feel like an idiot, I followed direction to the letter, and watched Cooper's video - nothing. My normal setup is USB between my AxeFx and Mac for Edit control. Spdif from my AxeFx to an Apollo 8 for audio (my monitors are connected to the Apollo). Am I going to be able to get this to work with this setup or will I have to reconfigure my system whenever I want to use Cab Lab 4? How 'bout a step by step cab lab 4 dummies!

I've wasted too much time trying to get this to work. Feel like an idiot, I followed direction to the letter, and watched Cooper's video - nothing. My normal setup is USB between my AxeFx and Mac for Edit control. Spdif from my AxeFx to an Apollo 8 for audio (my monitors are connected to the Apollo). Am I going to be able to get this to work with this setup or will I have to reconfigure my system whenever I want to use Cab Lab 4? How 'bout a step by step cab lab 4 dummies!
My setup is similar except for the use of SPDIF. I'm running the Axe III into an Audient iD14 from the Axe III OUT 1 L/R and have the Axe III connected to the computer via USB to use Axe Edit and CabLab.

This routing works as expected in the Hardware Audition mode. It seems that SPDIF is the common denominator with those running into problems getting setup. Maybe try using the Axe III OUT 1 into the Apollo instead of SPDIF and see if you are able to get it working.

My setup is similar except for the use of SPDIF. I'm running the Axe III into an Audient iD14 from the Axe III OUT 1 L/R and have the Axe III connected to the computer via USB to use Axe Edit and CabLab.

This routing works as expected in the Hardware Audition mode. It seems that SPDIF is the common denominator with those running into problems getting setup. Maybe try using the Axe III OUT 1 into the Apollo instead of SPDIF and see if you are able to get it working.
Thanks, that's one thing I haven't tried. I'm trying to avoid Hardware Audition mode though, sounds like a big PIA.

Multiple people have reported that Cab-Lab isn't working for them when using SPDIF.

I'm going to report this in the Cab-Lab beta forum to see if someone from Fractal can investigate.

Edit:

Posted... I'll let you know if there are any updates.
Much appreciated!

Thanks, that's one thing I haven't tried. I'm trying to avoid Hardware Audition mode though, sounds like a big PIA.
I found the latency using the Software mode was too much for 'realtime' tweaking. The Hardware mode has worked fine for me and the setup was simple. It does requires the 'Send' button to be pressed to hear any tweaks, it isn't ideal but better than the latency to me.

I would recommend, for the sake of ease, use the headphone jack on the front of the AxeFX and/or studio monitors and then follow the setup wizard in cab lab. Disregard the use of SPDIF if you can't get it working correctly.
Thanks Rosh. Using the headphone jack works for me.
Did you perform the Setup Wizard for SW Live Mode?

Which version of Cab-Lab do you have?
Yes

I found the latency using the Software mode was too much for 'realtime' tweaking. The Hardware mode has worked fine for me and the setup was simple. It does requires the 'Send' button to be pressed to hear any tweaks, it isn't ideal but better than the latency to me.
I was able to get the buffer size pretty low (8 or 16 samples) which is ok.

I was doing the HW Mode before that for the same reason.

Honestly, the best method I found is to add a Looper block right after the Input block, then record a loop and start adjusting.

I think you can objectively compare better when you are not actually playing.

Yeah, I would recommend using it to get ballpark tones and then switching to HW Audition and using send for the last finishing touches.

I have a similar setup, using SPDIF into an RME UCX II, and my monitors are connected to the RME UCX II output. My guitar is connected to the front instrument input on the Axe-FX III. Here are my settings in Cab Lab.

Output device: RME UCX II
Input device: RME UCX II
Active output channels: Analog 1+2 (monitors are connected here)
Active input channels: SPDIF L+R (Axe-FX III SPDIF output is connected here)

Click the Connect button at the top and select the Axe-FX III.

Then in the lower-left Audition area use SW Live Mode. Click the gear icon that shows up to the right SW Live Mode. Click the "Do It!" button in step 3.

Make sure on the Apollo 8 mixer that you are not monitoring the SPDIF input live. I usually have it set up that way so that I hear the Axe-FX III through my monitors. Disable/mute that if you do the same, otherwise you'll hear both the Axe-FX direct sound (which now has the cab disabled) and the Cab Lab output at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom