buying from ebay?

metalboy458

Inspired
hi im really wanting to get this 7 string from someone off ebay. but ive never had any experience buying stuff off ebay. is there anyway of knowing for sure i wont get ripped off? lol.

Just make sure the guy has 100% feedback rating with at least 20+ transactions as a seller. Read the comments from people who bought from him. Pay with PayPal.

I've bought many guitars from eBay & never had a problem!

is there anyway of knowing for sure i wont get ripped off? lol.
No. But Willowdale's suggestions will help your odds.

If a seller's feedback drops below 98%, I check the comments thoroughly. There's often a pattern in the negative ones.

The only way to protect yourself from getting ripped off is to do the following:

• Use paypal when making payment.
  • Open and inspect the package for damage BEFORE signing for it.
  • Refuse signing for the package if it is damaged or not as described.

When you buy new instruments, as I did with my Red Special, generally you don't have a problem as long as it's a reputable seller and they know how to ship the instruments properly. When you buy used however, make sure they have pics of it from all sides that are clear so you can really see what you're getting. I bought a Schecter Gryphon from Ebay, and it was listed as in near mint condition. When I got it, the push/pull tone knob, with the shaft, would actually fall out of the pot, and it had a ding down to the wood by the jack, and another small dent on the other side.

Know where it is now? At a luthier getting the blemishes fixed. I will fix the pot and do the setup on it myself, I just don't know how to do finish work. So basically, that's going to cost me an extra $90 or so to have that stuff taken care of. Why did I keep it instead of sending it back? Because I got it for $175, and the rest of it was actually in mint condition, leaving me to wonder if these blemishes happened in shipping. The tone knob couldn't have, but the blemishes could have easily considering it wasn't packaged as well as it could have been. I literally had the guitar for about a week before it went to the luthier. That was last October 22nd. That's the problem with qualified luthiers. There aren't many of them around, and the ones that are there are absolutely swamped.

So definitely, take all the advice you got here, and make sure you know what you're getting before you buy, including all disclosures of any issues, be they blemishes, electronics or whatever. Willowdale and Longhair pretty much covered everything.

As others have posted, make sure they have 100% positive feedback, with a good amount of transactions(at least 20+). Also make sure to use Paypal, because if the item is not as described you can easily get your money back. Just make sure to look closely at pictures and carefully read the description.

As an addition, you can get extra cover using a credit, rather than debit card. I'm not 100% sure whether this would still apply when going through PayPal, but the general reasoning is that with a credit card, it's the bank's money so if something is wrong, they will be more inclined to chase it, but with a debit card, it's your money and therefore, your argument

Back
Top Bottom